Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 25, 2014, 07:15:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: swarm catching ethics question  (Read 1179 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« on: June 19, 2006, 10:27:19 AM »

i have a friend with a commercial berry farm.  she hires a commercial bee keeper to bring 100's of  hives to her place.  twice she has had swarms that were in bad places and has called the bee keeper to let him know.  he's pretty busy, and doesn't seem to care about swarms.

last week, she had to burn one swarm that had moved into the irrigation pipes.  i told her to call me next time and i'd see if i could get the bees before they got into a bad place.

is there some "code of ethics" for catching other peoples bees?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 10:30:56 AM »

A swarm of bees, no matter where they came from, belongs to the person who's property they are on. The property owner can decide what to do with them.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Apis629
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 10:32:51 AM »

I'm not sure if there's a "code of ethics" but, there are a few laws.  Bees can't be removed from an active dwelling without ...I think it's a contractor's license and a building permit.  You'd have to check that one.  Also, if your not a licensed pesticide applicator you can't use any pesticide or soapy water to remove the bees.  These are the only rules I know of and, so far, I've obeyed them.

Finsky
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 11:00:16 AM »

When you have foulbrood AFB, gasoline is poured on hives and put  fire after. What is the difference?

That is the law in many places.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 11:14:33 AM »

Quote from: Apis629
I'm not sure if there's a "code of ethics" but, there are a few laws.  Bees can't be removed from an active dwelling without ...I think it's a contractor's license and a building permit.  You'd have to check that one.  Also, if your not a licensed pesticide applicator you can't use any pesticide or soapy water to remove the bees.  These are the only rules I know of and, so far, I've obeyed them.

It depends on what state you live in.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
randydrivesabus
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 11:43:56 AM »

i would call the beekeeper and ask him how he feels about it. sounds like he doesnt care but i would check it out myself and not depend on the word of someone looking to get rid of the swarm the easiest way possible.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 09:01:26 PM »

It actually depends on the State's Agricultural statutes which can in turn be added to my county (township in some states) and the individual city's ordances on pest control or atractive neusances.  So it all boils down to where you live.

In general a swarm is considered feral once it is free of the hive and can become the responsibility of the property owner where they alight.  If the swarm is located on public property it is generally first come first serve.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next