Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 25, 2014, 04:43:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Instant sting first aid  (Read 2455 times)
JKJ
New Bee

« on: June 15, 2006, 11:00:01 PM »

In reading about bee stings in another thread, I wondered if a sting suction device has been mentioned here.  It's called "The Extractor" and instantly takes most of the pain from a sting and prevents most of the swelling.  If you are one of those people who enjoy bee stings, skip to the next message now! Smiley

The Extractor is a suction device that will pull the venom out of the sting, whether bee, yellowjacket, or even mosquitoe.  I am allergic to yellowjacket stings - one on my hand made my entire arm swell up all the way to my shoulder.   But when I quickly applied suction to other yellowjacket stings I have not had more than a small 2-inch diameter swelling.  My wife once got a very painful sting on her hand and said the suction took the pain away instantly and she had no swelling.  It also removes itching and swelling from mosquitoe bites.  I found it works with ticks and seed ticks as well, darn their microscopic hides.

I keep one of these little suction devices on my tractor, in the car, in the house, in the barn, and in the bee kit.  I give them to friends as presents - great for parents of small children.

I've always bought these at WalMart in the camping section for $11-$12, but if you want to pay more you can get one from Amazon.com: The Extractor  

The kit includes different sizes of suction cups, a razor to remove hair, and some first aid wipes.  It also claims to be good for snake bites, but I haven't tested that!

JKJ

John K Jordan in East TN
kensfarm
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 09:53:03 AM »

The beekeepers I bought my nucs from said try putting a sliced onion on your sting area..  I should've tried it the other day when I got stung behind my left ear.. gave me a headache right away.
rsilver000
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 04:30:18 PM »

I really think the best thing to do is remove the stinger as soon as you can.  The faster it is out, the less poison that is pumped into your system.  The mechanical extracter will only delay things a bit.  It is the venom that causes the reaction, no amount of suction is going to get that out of your skin in time to prevent the mast cells in the skin from releasing vasoactive amines and causing a localized reaction.
Rob

The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere.
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 04:57:00 PM »

my wife is a nurse, stings don't bother me to much but some spots are sensitive so she got this for her and the kids for any stings but I have tried it and it works very well....

http://www.james-alexander.com/products/mcsting.html

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
melliphile
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 06:27:55 PM »

Stings get such a bad rap, don't they?  Most people are probably better off getting stung now and again.    But really, the pain(even with a full dose)lasts no more than 30 seconds.  Then it feels hot and throbby, but it's not really all that painful anymore.  By the time you find , open and administer whatever , the worst is over.  What's all the buzz?  If you're truly allergic, then you should have an epi-pen.  I keep one in my tool box and one at my apiary.  Never had to use them, but everyone around knows how (just in case).

"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." -Plato
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 07:22:19 PM »

I've tried most everything and nothing comes close to plantain.

http://weeds.cropsci.uiuc.edu/images/Broadleafplantain/images/broadleaf%20plantain.jpg

Crush it and put it on a sting.  It's likely growing in your yard where the dirt id packed from people walking.

If you can't find any platain, my next favortie treatments are (in order of efficacy) tobacco poltice, crushed asprin poltice, baking soda poltice, meat tenderizer poltice, salt poltice.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
joecat
New Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 07:32:53 PM »

I always put a drop or 2 of honey on the sting area.
tillie
Super Bee

Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 07:13:20 PM »

We have something called rattlesnake plantain in north Georgia - wonder if that would have the same effect?

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/wildflowers/goodyera_pubescens.html

Linda T in Atlanta but wishing I were somewhere cooler and/or rainy

http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You never can tell with bees" - Winnie the Pooh

Click for Atlanta, Georgia Forecast" border="0" height="60" width="468
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 10:36:36 PM »

It appears to be a different variety of the same plant.  I've never used that variety but I'd guess it would work.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
ctsoth
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 12:31:52 PM »

I scream like a little girl then I shrug...  Depending on where I get stung I can't feel it, so I don't so much care...
shado_knight
New Bee

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 07:59:08 AM »

A wet teabag works wonders. The tannin in the tea will cause a drying action and soothes the sting area. It can help prevent swelling of the sting area as well. At least it has always worked for me.  Cheesy
Finsky
Super Bee

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 03:38:13 PM »

A wide collection of naughty words are very efficient against bee stings up to 5 stings.

Car's rear mirror is often usefull when I try to locate did I got  sting way from my face.
Jay
House Bee

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2006, 04:27:11 PM »

Quote from: Finsky
A wide collection of naughty words are very efficient against bee stings up to 5 stings.

I agree Finsky, after 5 though, you must hop up and down while applying the naughty words!! Cheesy

By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next