Well I decided to pull some of the honey laden frames from Hive 2. I only pulled 7 of the 10 on one box. The other three had some brood in them and I left them alone. I didn't pull frames from above the excluder yet as I didn't want to stress out the bees to much.
So seven frames hit the hand spin extractor. I learned the more build up they do on a frame the eaiser it is to remove the cappings.
The hand extractor works really well and does not take long at all. As a matter of fact I probably spun the first few times for two long.
It is very effective also After spinning the seven frames I had quite a bit of honey at the bottom of the extractor. I used some cheese cloth on a funnel and let it pour into my jars.
I filled up three gallon jars off of seven frames. As I understand it, 12 lbs to one gallon. That is 36 lbs of honey.
I took the frames after extraction back over to my bees and I am letting them lick the frames clean. They are having a ball.
I noticed that it took them about .5 seconds to find me and the honey extractor in the yard as I began todays activities. They promptly demanded "a piece of the action." So I am now having to pay "insurance to my bees or they will make extraction very difficult. Insurance comes in the form of a small puddle of honey set off to the side that they have easy access to and any spillage is theirs. Failure to pay "insurance" means everytime I open the extractor means they will raid it in mass numbers.
I figure I will give them time to build the frames that replaced the seven I rotated out and in two weeks I will pull some more honey.
Well for a first time I don't think that is to bad.
I will post some pics in a few days on my site.