This is embarrasing. Due to our drought my bees need feeding again. I use one-gallon containers left over from gatorade or punch or whatever to haul my syrup to the bee yard. I'd left one of my containers out in the barn unwashed after the last time I fed and there is about 1/2 sq inch of mold (total) inside the container.
I know feeding moldy feed to my cows could really hurt them so I'm very leary of mold and feed, but will this tiny bit of mold which will come into contact with my sugar syrup hurt my bees?
I am soaking the moldy area in white vinegar as I write and hopefully will not have to use this container until I can set it in the (scorching, drying, unending) sun for several hrs.
But in principle, will a bit of mold in contact with the syrup hurt the bees? Whether it will or not I promise to take better care of my feed bottles.