Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 20, 2014, 06:03:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just checking in  (Read 981 times)
IndianaBrown
« on: May 05, 2006, 01:25:15 AM »

I just started a keeping a hive for the fist time, with a nuc I bought last weekend.  I have been interested in beekeeping for several years, but I finally have the time/money/land to get started, at least in a small way.  I am looking forward to bugging you all with silly questions.  I expect that some of the things I am doing and/or plan to do will raise some interesting discussions.

My wife and I recently bought a house on a fairly large lot inside the city of Indianapolis, IN.  We have 2 small children, and many visitors.  After checking with the neighbors on either side I built a small (approx 6' by 7.5' by 4.5' high) enclosure near the back of our property, surrounded by tight lattice to screen the bees and force them to fly over the heads of any children that may be nearby.  

So far the bees seem to be doing well, (although I can not figure out why they are flying out of sight when there is some kind of tree blossoming right over their enclosure that always has several bumblebees on it.)  I am just trying to be patient enough to leave them alone for a couple more days before their first inspection. Cheesy
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 06:26:31 AM »

>although I can not figure out why they are flying out of sight when there is some kind of tree blossoming right over their enclosure that always has several bumblebees on it.

Two reasons.  One, they can detect the richness of the nectar and will work a better source over a lesser source.  Two, they are loyal to a source until it runs out, so if the other source was blooming first they just keep working that one.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next