Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beekeeping experience in South of England  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Yarra_Valley

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 167
Beekeeping experience in South of England
« on: May 02, 2006, 04:45:59 PM »
Hi there,

I'm working in London at the moment, and my bees are in Australia. I've learned a lot since I left Australia and I'd like to work with a commerical beekeeper for a few days near the end of May, or early June. Actually I'd like to work with any beekeeper for that matter. I miss working with bees and I'd like to do it over here a little if I can.

So if anyone wants a helping hand sometime or knows someone who wants a helping hand in exchange for passing on a little practical knowledge, you can let me know :).
Careful, my pets can smell your hives. 8)

Online Michael Bush

  • Universal Bee
  • *******
  • Posts: 14302
  • Gender: Male
    • bushfarms.com
Beekeeping experience in South of England
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 04:51:28 PM »
>I'm working in London at the moment, and my bees are in Australia.

I like to keep my yards within a few miles and complain when I have an outyard 60 miles away.  That's quite a drive. :)
Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen

Offline ian michael davison

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 97
Beekeeping experience in South of England
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 06:11:22 PM »
Hi
Tomorrow night at six in Woking just off the A3 we have our beginners courses running (40 minutes from London) PM your phone number and I will give you a call.

As well as the Bees I can tell you how good our Cricket team are, AND THERE WAS THE SMALL MATTER OF KICKING YOUR ARSE ON YOUR TURF IN THAT RUGBY GAME A LITTLE WHILE AGO :wink:

Bring your smoker you can take home some English ASHES!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:  


Regards Ian
Just another whingeing POM :lol:

Offline Yarra_Valley

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 167
Beekeeping experience in South of England
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 07:37:20 PM »
Quote from: whingeing pom
As well as the Bees I can tell you how good our Cricket team are, AND THERE WAS THE SMALL MATTER OF KICKING YOUR ARSE ON YOUR TURF IN THAT RUGBY GAME A LITTLE WHILE AGO


:evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Your bees can't be that good, they are in the winter most of the year ;).

Sorry I'm not available until the middle of may. My loss I guess.
Careful, my pets can smell your hives. 8)

Offline ian michael davison

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 97
Beekeeping experience in South of England
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 07:54:17 PM »
Hi
The courses run for ten weeks and normaly over run as people just keep on coming back. There are 40 on the wednesday evening course and a further group of more experienced beekeepers on Tuesdays. PM me if you want to come down.


Regards Ian

Offline mick

  • Queen Bee
  • ****
  • Posts: 1450
Beekeeping experience in South of England
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 04:51:06 AM »
There was a show on the ABC the other week about the lack of professional beekeepers in Australia. We import them from the Philipines like mangos it seems!

Didnt give any details on the wages but showed some young guys in a beekeeping family who plan to take it up for a living for the great outdors and the freedom. Said no one will take it up as its no good for a family.

Mentioned how its a dying trade and the way things are going our farmers are gunna have to start PAYING beekeepers to put hives near their crops. Said if we stay at this rate of hives Australia can kiss goodbye its fruit and vegie and nut farmers.

Im gunna find out a bit more, sounds like it could be good work.

Offline Jack Parr

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 261
Beekeeping experience in South of England
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 07:40:53 AM »
Quote from: mick
There was a show on the ABC the other week about the lack of professional beekeepers in Australia. We import them from the Philipines like mangos it seems!

Didnt give any details on the wages but showed some young guys in a beekeeping family who plan to take it up for a living for the great outdors and the freedom. Said no one will take it up as its no good for a family.

Mentioned how its a dying trade and the way things are going our farmers are gunna have to start PAYING beekeepers to put hives near their crops. Said if we stay at this rate of hives Australia can kiss goodbye its fruit and vegie and nut farmers.

Im gunna find out a bit more, sounds like it could be good work.


Actually farmers who have crops that benefit from bees, and most crops do, should pay for someone to take the trouble and expense required to keep bees. IMO.

There is a definate up-side in crop yield that should pay off more than the cost of having a pollination service provided.

Plus the bees would be there in large numbers versus having random natural bees.

Offline Yarra_Valley

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 167
Beekeeping experience in South of England
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 10:58:25 AM »
Quote from: Michael Bush
>I'm working in London at the moment, and my bees are in Australia.

I like to keep my yards within a few miles and complain when I have an outyard 60 miles away.  That's quite a drive. :)


 :lol:

Yeah it is a bit. You seem to be quite good solving beekeepers probelms. Any thoughts on migratory beekeeping, then I would have a honey flow all year round. The bees would be a bit nasty after being in the back of the car after that journery I should think, so I'd be sure to be suited up.

Ian, do you have monthly meetings?

Any other beekeepers in Southern England out there?
Careful, my pets can smell your hives. 8)

Offline ian michael davison

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 97
Beekeeping experience in South of England
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 07:37:20 PM »
Hi
We have weekly meetings the courses nights are Tuesday and wednesdays. If you want to come down at a weekend give us a call. The beginners on the courses are charged a nominal course fee but for yourself it's an invitation.

I am also a member of Guildford and Weybride divisions who have monthly meetings.

Regards Ian

Offline Yarra_Valley

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 167
Beekeeping experience in South of England
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 07:00:32 AM »
Thanks Ian. You will have to PM your number. When I'm available I will give you a call and see what we can arrange :).

James.
Careful, my pets can smell your hives. 8)

Online Michael Bush

  • Universal Bee
  • *******
  • Posts: 14302
  • Gender: Male
    • bushfarms.com
Beekeeping experience in South of England
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 07:57:35 AM »
>Any thoughts on migratory beekeeping, then I would have a honey flow all year round.

And you'd have to load and unload the bees a lot.  If you have some ideal forage, it might be worth it.

> The bees would be a bit nasty after being in the back of the car after that journery I should think

Surpisingly it's hard to say.  Sometimes they are quite docile, and sometimes they come rolling out of the hive.

> so I'd be sure to be suited up.

Always a good idea in an unpredictable situation.
Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen