Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 01, 2014, 01:52:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GASOLINE PRICES - are they climbing WORLD WIDE???  (Read 4129 times)
Jack Parr
House Bee

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 08:28:37 AM »

Quote from: Kris^
Quote from: Jack Parr

So OK how do you obtain this grease? Is this grease trap grease from the restaurant grease/oil seperator before the waste water is released into the sewer system? Or some other collection method?
If I am correct is there not the requirement for a vaccume system usually on a truck to go around gathering this grease from restaurents.
If you don't personally go around to pick-up the grease someone else does smiley   Then if you must heat through the fuel line to heat the grease does that not require energy?

There is a grill joint located between our farm and our market that we pass every day (and stop and get coffee) and he gives us the used fryer oil from his deep fryers.  (I give him quarts of honey every once and a while for his BBQ sauce.) Trap grease is generally too contaminated to process efficiently.  As for heating the fuel line, the water jacket taps off the cooling system and uses a little bit of the heat that normally is expelled through the radiator.  Drying the oil uses some energy, but that is minimal on a sunny day, as we use a black 55 gallon drum as our drying tank.  More energy is used if we process it into biodiesel, because of the circulating pumps and the fact that the grease must be heated to a higher temperature.  Using methanol and lye in the process adds to the cost, but it still comes out to less than $1.50 a gallon.

And we can advertise our plants as being "green".     Cheesy

OK.  Now YOU have found a way to help yourself. If you really think about the issue I think you would have to agree that YOUR method won't do much to allieviate the soaring cost of energy.

I would be leery about doing what you do and run your concotion in  an expensive diesel engines  smiley

The cost of energy must rise in order that reliable and efficient fuel sources be developed.  Once the numbers are there, meaning money numbers, there will be alternate methods of fueling transportation, whatever it is, in the furture.  

The FREE market will work but there must be an effort in that direction,  that comes from CONGRESS and the EXECUTIVE branch.

In the meantime, for those of us that aren't into grease, brace yourselves
for the pain.
amymcg
House Bee

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2006, 05:21:30 PM »

Diesel engines were orginally designed to run on Peanut Oil.  You won't hurt them by running veggie oil, you just need to know how to do it.  There are plenty of informational websites on how to get kits, filter the oil, etc. . .

Wish I had an old diesel myself right now. I would be doing the same thing.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next