Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 21, 2014, 12:28:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GASOLINE PRICES - are they climbing WORLD WIDE???  (Read 4189 times)
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« on: April 18, 2006, 12:11:57 PM »

Hi Gang:

Gas is now at $2.80 average for regular here now and climbing quickly. I was asked by a coworker if the prices are CLIMBING in OTHER COUNTRIES TOO - I didn't know what to say.

Could some of you answer this - if possible convert it to US Dollars so we can see the rate climb (if any) you are going under.

I hear as much as $4.00 a gallon by mid-Summer here. I can't imagine that, although I know the US has had the cheapest rates compared to MUCH of the world.

Thanks.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Jacmar
New Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 07:20:26 PM »

John

The gas here in Ottawa, Canada is as follows,

Todays price 106.8 per litre equals $4.84 per Imp Gal CDN Dollars or $4.15 US Dollars

or $4.27 US Gal CDN or $3.66 US Dollars

Today with oil closing at 71.00 USD / 82.71 CDN a barrel today gives me the impression a barrel will go to at least a 100.00 USD in the not to distant future.

The way gas/oil is going up it will affect everything we use in this world. Just think of what you buy and watch it for one month and see how much it goes up. Just everything we buy food,hydro,clothes, the parts for your car, you name it, it's going up

Jack

"The key to life is to Die Young at a very Old Age"
eivindm
Global Moderator
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 04:29:19 AM »

Guess you still have some time before you reach our prices smiley  $6.4 a gallon (11 NOK per litre) smiley  Most of it is taxes, though.
abejaruco
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 02:26:43 AM »

Around 1 € litre in Spain.
Since the English found oil (Brent) in their territory, the oil is more expensive than when was produced only by quasi-countries. Actually British are buying properties massivaly in the whole warm Europe.
qa33010
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 03:05:14 AM »

Hybred vehicle (van) is our next one.

David

Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)
Kris^
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 07:40:32 AM »

We're at $2.79 now.

Quote from: qa33010
Hybred vehicle (van) is our next one.

Our most recent vehicle purchase is an older MB diesel, which we run on used vegetable oil.  We've been looking at diesel box trucks to replace our current gas delivery truck, and are considering another diesel car to replace our second car, which is a little Saab that gets 30 MPG and gets filled once a month (the Buick that gets less milage is basically retired).  We brew our own bio-diesel to blend with the fuel for our greenhouse heaters.  We've been planning for this crunch for a year, and are at least keeping our heads above water, for now.

-- Kris
qa33010
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 07:15:29 PM »

Kris

I have heard only a couple things about using vegetable oil.  How does this work and what are the emissions?  Thanks

David

Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 07:30:56 PM »

Kris

I have heard only a couple things about using vegetable oil.  How does this work and what are the emissions?  Thanks

David

Here is some info

http://beemaster.com/beebbs/viewtopic.php?t=2610&highlight=biodiesel

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 07:49:47 PM »

Jerry:

Makes me MISS Roger!!!!

I talked to him a few months ago on the phone, emailed him and got a reply about a month ago - life isn't a rose garden for him right now, so the Internet is NOT a priority in his life. I hope we see him back again soon, I just wonder about some of the others like Beth and Ryan who might have moved to other places - although I do see Ryan (Horns Honey) occasionally, a kid has more things to do than come around here. Matter of fact, I think it may be time to say goodbye to our TEEN FORUM - it rarely gets hits, and the teens Buzz, BeeBoy and Ryan are really not about much.

I think I might take care of that now - and just think, I started by mentioning Roger, strange how the mind works.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 09:45:05 PM »

You wouldn't want to crawl inside my mind... The ride would be really bumpy.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 11:58:09 PM »

Speaking of those gas prices..... On the news this evening they showed people taking stuff to the pawn shops in order to get money for gas.

Jerry

qa33010
Field Bee

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 12:16:14 AM »

Thanks Jerrymac!!!  I appreciate it.  We have some serious thinking and personal rearranging to accomplish.  This gives us some fuel (pun intended) for thought.  

The mind is weird.  As I was typing the above I started to think about space travel and how/if it would change how we commute.  

I've gottin used to reading and learning from Roger and as a matter of fact all of you!  I thank you all for what you've taught me and what you're going to teach me.

David

Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 07:58:49 PM »

Gas is .17 in Venezuela. But that is what happens when Pat Robertson asks the CIA to rub out their leader.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
Jack Parr
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 08:00:06 AM »

Where do I start?

Europe HAS had high gas prices as a matter of public policies for decades.  There are several reasons for this. First is the size of the countries themselves.

Small pieces of ground with high populations. Very crowded by our US standards.

Very well rounded and comprehensive transportation systems. Trains that go everywhere, on time, some at super fast speeds. Comprehensive urban commuter trains, trams, buses that are very efficient. People are encouraged to use these systems. Major cities have comprehensive, usually underground people moving systems, called different names but are very efficient and tie in well with the suburban transportation systems making for an easy commute.

Airlines, but they are more a matter of a countries desire to be seen as world players. But there are Intra country commuter airlines that go to most major cities. Then you can take a train to final destination.

Car industries that are geared to building small  automobiles to somehow fit  in old crowded cities with limited space.

HIGH fuel prices tend to make people park cars and USE the public transportation systems. It's a matter of PUBLIC POLICY and the citizens understand this and readily accept that policy. On the other hand WE, in the US of A, have neglected virtually any form of public transportation that interfers with driving cars. Except in some big cities, there is no other way to move around in any efficient way without a car. THAT IS A VERY BAD POLICY IMO  smiley

I lived in FRANCE for 7 years way back when??? and the expensive gasoline prices at the pump was the policy then as it is now. All the other countries around generally have the same policies.

Actually the PRICES for RAW CRUDE is the same for everyone and THAT CRUDE OIL IS TRADED on the WORLD FREE TRADING MARKET. Simply put consumers/ refiners etc that buy vast quantities of oil pay the same for crude but the price differential between the US and European countries is TAXES.  Really, almost anyone can buy a shipload of crude if so desired. THE  CHINESE ARE BUYING and BUYING A LOTTA OIL from everywhere and anywhere. THEY GOTTA SPEND ALL THAT MONEY COMMIN' IN FROM ALL THAT JUNK THAT WE BUY AT MOSTLY WALMART. Us, and others including Europeans.  Actually the Chinese have run up the steel prices because they are buying all the steel scrap and raw ore at almost any price it seems. I looking to the future would be more concerned about the Chinese and not fret so much about the Mexicans.  

For current prices of RAW crude watch CNBC.  Crude is trading at $ 74.50 per barrel, 42 gallons as I write.

Gold is at $ 631.00 PER OUNCE. Copper, steel, aluminum, all metals are outta sight right now.

Brace yourselves FOR EVEN HIGHER and staying HIGHER fuel prices in times to come, making THAT 350 CHEVVY financially painful to own and drive.  

Perhaps, with high crude prices, there will finally be some reliable alternate fuel scoming on stream and that would be a good thing.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 08:40:12 AM »

Ahhh but wait. We are only complaining about what we have to pay at the pump right now. Around the corner is a tidal wave of high prices for everything that is transported across this country by trucks..... OH!  That would be everything. Airline prices will rise. Taxi rates I'm sure. Look at the horizon........ Here it comes.

Jerry

amymcg
House Bee

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2006, 02:28:45 PM »

All valid points.  Europe in general has higher taxes and thus higher prices at the pump. But, they have more fuel efficient cars that we don't have.  I was in Ireland last month. We rented a Nissan Micra (which the rest of my band members lovingly referred to as the "roller skate").  We drove around constantly for 10 days on 1 tank of gas. We only refueled when we got back to the airport.

Americans need to start driving more fuel efficient vehicles, and start taking advantage of public transportation.  We're too McDonald's oriented. We have to have it now.
Kris^
Field Bee

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2006, 07:05:24 PM »

Kris

David

It works well for us, the grease is free.  We filter it and dry all the water out of it, then burn it as diesel oil.  I don't know exactly what the emissions are chemically, but they smell differently.  Sometimes like chocolate cake, sometimes like chicken batter and fries.  I've heard that the emissions are less, fewer sulfers, etc.

One thing about the conversion is that we have to run a heated fuel line to the auxillary tank that holds the grease, because the gel point is higher for the grease.  The heated line runs off the cooling system.  Which means we have to start the car on diesel and run it for about 3 miles (until it gets up to operating temperature) before switching to the grease.

-- Kris
Jack Parr
House Bee

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2006, 06:49:42 AM »

Quote from: Kris^
Kris

David

It works well for us, the grease is free.  We filter it and dry all the water out of it, then burn it as diesel oil.  I don't know exactly what the emissions are chemically, but they smell differently.  Sometimes like chocolate cake, sometimes like chicken batter and fries.  I've heard that the emissions are less, fewer sulfers, etc.

One thing about the conversion is that we have to run a heated fuel line to the auxillary tank that holds the grease, because the gel point is higher for the grease.  The heated line runs off the cooling system.  Which means we have to start the car on diesel and run it for about 3 miles (until it gets up to operating temperature) before switching to the grease.

-- Kris

So OK how do you obtain this grease? Is this grease trap grease from the restaurant grease/oil seperator before the waste water is released into the sewer system? Or some other collection method?
If I am correct is there not the requirement for a vaccume system usually on a truck to go around gathering this grease from restaurents.
If you don't personally go around to pick-up the grease someone else does smiley   Then if you must heat through the fuel line to heat the grease does that not require energy?

Actually some of the alternate supplies of fuel REQUIRE more energy to produce than their energy value.  There ARE alternate fuel sources and they have been known for ages but it's ALL ABOUT COST OF PRODUCING SAME  smiley Now that the RAW CRUDE OIL IS BEING PRICED UPWARDS, and if it stays there, those alternate fuel source cost WILL become competetive.

To Amy, as far as public transportation is concerned, well I spose you haven't been around much, cause it ain't there except for a few large cities. Go to most any part of the country, except for some large cities, and WAIT for the bus smiley

THERE ARE fuel efficient cars available here in the US  smiley  Not many made here though.  According to GM folks LIKE SUV's and of course the promotions ARE directed towards car buyers in a way THAT make folks LIKE the large gas burners.

Not to worry about fuel prices; Just ask your BOSS for a RAISE in pay or in kind smiley

Along with Italian Queens we should be buying Italian made FIAT cars  smiley Those little cars are just about Queen size smiley
Kris^
Field Bee

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 07:23:24 AM »

Quote from: Jack Parr

So OK how do you obtain this grease? Is this grease trap grease from the restaurant grease/oil seperator before the waste water is released into the sewer system? Or some other collection method?
If I am correct is there not the requirement for a vaccume system usually on a truck to go around gathering this grease from restaurents.
If you don't personally go around to pick-up the grease someone else does smiley   Then if you must heat through the fuel line to heat the grease does that not require energy?

There is a grill joint located between our farm and our market that we pass every day (and stop and get coffee) and he gives us the used fryer oil from his deep fryers.  (I give him quarts of honey every once and a while for his BBQ sauce.) Trap grease is generally too contaminated to process efficiently.  As for heating the fuel line, the water jacket taps off the cooling system and uses a little bit of the heat that normally is expelled through the radiator.  Drying the oil uses some energy, but that is minimal on a sunny day, as we use a black 55 gallon drum as our drying tank.  More energy is used if we process it into biodiesel, because of the circulating pumps and the fact that the grease must be heated to a higher temperature.  Using methanol and lye in the process adds to the cost, but it still comes out to less than $1.50 a gallon.

And we can advertise our plants as being "green".     Cheesy

-- Kris
Southern Son
New Bee

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006, 10:58:12 PM »

wink  The price of petrol is going up everywhere around the world.  In Australia it reached AUD$1.40 per litre which translates to US$3.95 per gallon.

Interestingly enough, the popularity of hybrid vehicles is increasing more so in Australia than in the U.S. despite the fact there are many more incentives to drive them in the U.S.  This newfound popularity in Australia may have more to do with large companies who manage fleets of vehicles can easily see the savings they will incur by purchasing more fuel efficient machines.

Cheers!
Adam
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next