Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 28, 2014, 09:11:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(2)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: why can't I buy PLASTICINE in the USA?  (Read 3950 times)
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« on: April 07, 2006, 12:53:00 AM »

I mention in my signature I'm playing with stop frame animation these days and I am limited to materials which are far less superior to those used for quality claymation - the material I seek is Plasticine most recognised as the clay modeling material used in Wallace and Grommet.

It is firm, pliable, doesn't dry out and has a long usage life, but from what I read falls under a petro-chemical (bio-hazardous in our post 9-11 world) and I guess we have restrictions on importing it.

I read sites from the UK and Canada both who post VERY CLEARLY - no shipping to the US. So, what does that leave me with, play-dough? Rediculous. Is the government honestly worried about a weapon or toxic incident - this stuff isn't C4 for God sake, I want to make claymations using the stuff that the best animators in the world use, not some second hand crap that can not widthstand the molding and shaping repeatedly needed to produce something that requires thousands of minute' adjustments.

There are a few products available that are rated "acceptable" but I'm just unhappy that I need to settle for less than ideal for what are probably over-rated issues of haz-mat or chemical threat - I swear, plasticine should not be so impossible to get, I swear I won't eat it - lol.

Like Gorge Carlton the comedian says - the US government wants to BAN TOY WEAPONS.... and keep the #$%#$ REAL ONES!" that is the logic we have to deal with.

If I'm wrong and anyone can find Plasticine  in the US for retail sale, please let me know - I can't find it - I tried Ebay, Amazon, Dick Blicks (or whatever his name is) and other retail chains with no success. Thanks. The big name producer was Harbutts - but it seems like it is most often spoken of in past tense. Everyhting I read seems to show stuff from them ending in the 1960s.

Any suggestions for a replacement product which IS available would help to.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 06:27:40 AM »

Geez we loved it as kids. Theres heaps of it downunder if you get stuck. A lot of people are into animation these days so I imagine "animation supplies" or similar might find an online store.

Did a quick search under educational supplies. It sells here for $AUD18.00 for a 1KG or 2.2lb bucket in 8 colours.

Did another search, no problemo to the US.

Cost about $15.00 airmail to the US for  kg.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 07:22:47 AM »

Did you google???

http://www.dickblick.com/categories/modelingclays/

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 11:09:23 AM »

Thanks Guys:

Mick, thanks for searching Smiley please add your country to the LOCATION in your profile, I see you got 72 posts and I'm have a good idea where you are but not sure. I'm trying to address everyone without locations as they pop up, it really helps everyone know more about you. Thanks.

That shipping adds up fast, but it's the real thing which to me would be important and nostalgic to know I'm doing something that has been an art form for a very long time. I already have made several wire and dowel armatures to melt the clay over and then you build the clay up. By melting it on first, it gets into the groves of the twisted wires and creates a terrific sub-base to mold the additional clay on.

Jerry: It was Dick Blick I was trying to think of, I think their plasticolor is their version of Plasticine and it seems affordable to buy 5 or 6 sets of colors and hope for the best. I think I may end up going this route for now, just to get in the business of modeling.

I have two story-boards made up (actually done using the publish program in Open-Office Robo introduced me to) and it basically is a slide show which I am now working on adding a sound track (okay, me doing voice overs that follow the story board) but it's fun and I'm really enjoying the whole process of making realistic movement with toys and other objects.

I have a short film of water moving from one glass to a second to a third. Seems simple enough, but it is done with a little choreography - example the water in the middle glass empties magically into the first and third simultaneously and I stick to the 24 frame a second theme which really does made this look like fluid (forgive the pun).

Anyway Smiley I thank you both (and any further replies) and I can't wait to have clay in my hands and put it to motion Smiley

Follow us on TWITTER

beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 05:35:05 PM »

I just finished ordering Plasticolor from Dick Blick's Site - they sell a 1.2 pound pack of ten different color packets, I bought 10 packs total, giving me lots of clay (over a pound of each color) to work with.

I have a few fun projects I'm doing with cut outs (like South-park style) but an educational one that I want to do for the web site - I want to have worker parts assembling themselves into a bee that will then walk around "HOPEFULLY" realistic looking when complete.

I have the armature (wire structure which clay is built onto) already twisted and shaped, so it should be pretty easy to do.

I hope to have lots of details (as in wax flakes falling from the abdomen) highlighted in the animations. I have a fine mess wire filled with packing peanuts to shape the abdomen, head and thorax - and on the thorax I'll be able to connect the legs. I'm still not sure what I'll do with the wings, it may be wire mess with painted veins which I'll cover with clear tight plastic to give it shine.

The size of the worker (and other relative sized bees used) will be about 4 inches long so that I can get LOTS of details. I'll be finding some microscopic images to use to for designing close-ups of feet, etc..

A lot of these might be molded then I'll use a pointer to explain the parts and how they work. Doing the entrails should be fun when explaining the whole stinger experience.

I'm excited to get working on these, I have a little talent with water color painting and I have done some sculpturing, I have a good eye for relative size and I think these could be interesting how-tos for the site.

I saw some neat hexagonal 12 ounce cups 3 for a $1 at the dollar store, they would make GREAT comb and I could probably get away with about $8-$10 worth to simulate comb. The best part about this is it would be EASY to capture images of eggs and NOTHING is easier then making 1 inch tall bee eggs for a 12 ounce cup Smiley

I'm excited at the concept of having 5 GIGS of web space to work with and when the BIG MOVE comes, I hope to finally get these Beemaster Radio Programs (in high quality sound) and lots of video and image content online - I have lots of stuff already for upload, over 20 radio broadcasts (all around 4 to 5 minutes in MP3 HQ) and Now I'll have an excuse to either 1) use my old VCR camcorder and XP Media Center Edition to do videos or 2) go for the money and buy a digital camcorder and fire-wire the content to the site.

Of course, I'm without bees right now, but if you have missed it - within 2 weeks Pollinators will be filling the fields of my local cranberry bogs and they always spin out a lot of swarms during the 10-14 days they are here. I hope to get swarms to re-occupy my hives and if NOT, I have many members willing to assist me with both nucs and queens. So I surely hope to have bees by Summer, if not I'll still have my hands full moving Beemaster.com to its new location: at which time, I'll be asking for ALL MEMBERS to contribute material (videos, images, sound files, writings) all kinds of content to make this site MASSIVE in Multi-opinioned beekeeping reference.

Again, we are really doing well in all the search engines, number of visitors (well hits at least) are over 8 million a month and with lots of space and a reserve of great beekeeping content from the membership - we WILL be the HUB of beekeeping education on the net - something you should all be proud of!!!!!

Follow us on TWITTER

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next