You forecast does not tell hot weather ?http://www.wunderground.com/US/FL/West_Palm_Beach.html
You say that there is rain and bees hang outside. So they do if hive is too full of bees of full of honey. And it takes some days before they return to work.
Now you have place to learn and clear out what is the situation in the hive. To make a gap in inner cover is not wise at all.
* It hive is too hot, they have ventilating bees tens or hundreds outside of entrance.
* if it is too hot, you see it from thermometer . 32C = brood area temperature. They must get water to cool hive.
* It they got too heavy nectar flow that is reason why they cannot work and come out to hang on walls - you see when you look inside
* if it it too hot or too heavy nectar flow, keep entrance widely open. Look ventilators....
* If hive is too hot, and when you look inside, bees like to stay near walls and there is "hole" in the centre of bee mass.
* If bees are going to swarm, they do not draw foundations.