Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 17, 2014, 09:22:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Little Family History  (Read 1790 times)
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« on: May 01, 2006, 09:34:08 AM »

I have traced my father's family back to the Civil War, My Great, Great,  Great Grandfather was a Captain in the civil war, "Company F" of the East Baton Rouge Cavalry, his name was "Captain Wilson Tate". I found a web site on the history of some of his battle's, seems it was his Troopers that killed Abraham Lincoln's brother-n-law by mistake on a foggy night when the brother-n-law troop thought they were being attacked when the cavalry was riding to a fort and The troopers thought they were being ambushed.... interesting reading, seems I had about 7 or 8 kin-folk in that command..... still tring to find out how long the Tate family has been in the Denham Springs Louisiania area, all the Tate's are still there and im the only one that has left the state so for Wink but might move back in a few years.....

http://users.cnnw.net/~rebcav/history/3lacavhis.htm

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 09:43:06 AM »

On my fathers mothers side, her ma-den name was James, seems her family came from Missouri, tied in to the James gang (Jeese and Frank), my brother had a genealogist trace down my mothers side of the family, seems I'm 4th or 5th cousins to Britney Spears( wonder if I can get ole cousin to float me a loan  wink  cheesy  ), my grandmother and her grandmother were first cousins. weird how you can bee kin to people and not know it.. my grandmother name was bridges and her family was from Amite Louisiana

Amateurs built the ark,
manowar422
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 07:52:55 PM »

I studied Genealogy when I was off work recovering from back surgery.
It is fascinating and at the same time frustrating when you run into a
dead end. My mothers side of the family was a piece of cake. Traced
one of her parents lines back to the 1100 England. Ogle was the surname.
My fathers family however was a bust. Only traced them back to the
Carolinas before records became non-existent. It was fun though.
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 09:57:43 AM »

it is frustrating and fun, so for I have traced the Tate side back to Northern Ireland, but I have a gap to fill to see when the years in the late 1700's..., the others Im am still working on...

Amateurs built the ark,
Mr T-Bone
New Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 09:43:40 PM »

Quote from: TwT
I have traced my father's family back to the Civil War, My Great, Great,  Great Grandfather was a Captain in the civil war, "Company F" of the East Baton Rouge Cavalry, his name was "Captain Wilson Tate".

I am a genealogist for the Sons of Confederate Veterans, and have access to Civil war military records. I took the liberty of looking up your ancestor. It turns out the only Wilson Tate to serve is the one listed below... If you have any other names let me know, I'd be happy to look them up.

Wilson N. Tate
Regiment Name 19 (Dawson's) Arkansas Infantry
Side Confederate
Company A
Soldier's Rank_In Private
Soldier's Rank_Out Private
Alternate Name Wilson L./Taite

19th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Dawson's)
19th (Dawson's) Infantry Regiment completed its organization at Nashville, Arkansas, in November, 1861. Many of the men were recruited in Crawford, Polk, Sebastian, and Yell counties. After being involved in the Battle of Elkhorn Tavern, the unit was captured at Arkansas Post in January, 1863. Exchanged and reorganized, it was assigned to Deshler's, Liddell's, and Govan's Brigade, and consolidated with the 24th Regiment in September, 1863, and with the 8th Regiment in November. It participated in many campaigns of the Army of Tennessee from Chickamauga to Atlanta, endured Hood's winter operations in Tennessee, and fought its last battle at Bentonville. The 18th/24th lost thirty-eight percent of the 226 engaged at Chickamauga, and the 8th/19th reported 16 casualties at Ringgold Gap and totalled 363 men and 285 arms in December, 1863. During the spring of 1864 part of the 19th served in Dawson's Infantry Regiment in the Trans-Mississippi Department. At the Battle of Atlanta the 8th/19th had 97 men disabled and only a few surrendered in April, 1865. The field officers were Colonel C. L. Dawson; Lieutenant Colonels A. S. Hutchison and P. R. Smith; and Majors Joseph Anderson, David H. Hamiter, and John G. McKean.

"Do your duty in all things...You cannot do more; you should never wish to do less."
Robert E. Lee

http://briarhillfarms.bravehost.com/index.html
Mr T-Bone
New Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 06:56:12 PM »

My mistake...embarassed  embarassed
I found your ancestor...
 cheesy  cheesy
Wilson Tate (First_Last)
Regiment Name 3 (Wingfield's) Louisiana Cav.
Side Confederate
Company F
Soldier's Rank_In Captain
Soldier's Rank_Out Captain

3rd Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Wingfield's)

3rd (Wingfield's) Cavalry Regiment was organized during the late summer of 1864. It was formed by adding four companies to the six companies of the 9th Louisiana Cavalry Battalion. This unit confronted the Federals in Louisiana and Mississippi, then in May, 1865, was included in the surrender of the Department of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana. Colonel James H. Wingfield commanded this regiment.
Predecossor unit:

9th Cavalry Battalion [also called 1st or 9th Battalion Partisan Rangers] was organized during the early summer of 1862 with six companies and in July totalled 852 officers and men. Many of its members were recruited in the Baton Rouge area. The unit served in the Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana, was active around Baton Rouge, and was captured at Port Hudson in July, 1863. After being exchanged, it was assigned to J. Griffith's and W. Adams' Brigade and participated in various operations in Mississippi. Later the battalion merged into Wingfield's 3rd Louisiana Cavalry Regiment. Lieutenant Colonel James H. Wingfield and Major James DeBaun were in command.

"Do your duty in all things...You cannot do more; you should never wish to do less."
Robert E. Lee

http://briarhillfarms.bravehost.com/index.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next