Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 19, 2014, 12:18:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rancid sugar water?  (Read 3901 times)
wahoofan
New Bee

« on: March 16, 2006, 06:33:20 PM »

I just checked the syrup in my hive-top feeder and it smells a little rancid, with some mold around the edges.  Can this hurt the bees?  They seem to be feeding just fine and I would prefer to not remove the feeder while it is so cold(highs in the 30's forecasted for whole next week.)
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 12:31:40 AM »

I would think the mold creates an issue. I would recommend you change it so as to not cause any illness or cause the honey to ferment.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 06:53:55 AM »

Mold doesn't hurt the bee's, not sure about the smell but trust your bee's, if they dont like it they want drink it, if you wonder about it and it bothers you just wash the container and make some new syrup, I usually clean mine once they start getting mold in them but if I have syrup in it I will let the bee's empty it first then clean, that just me!!!!

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
Apis629
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 02:17:51 PM »

I always had the problem of sugar water going rancid last summer (I had just installed a package).  I would have maybe 2 days before the bees would stop drinking it and it would smell sour...don't get me started on the taste.  cheesy

rusty
New Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 08:27:50 AM »

I once got my bees drunk!!

I had washed out my extractor after the OSR (Canolla)crop, and rather than waste it gave it too a newly caught swarm, two hot humid and sweltering days later (yes we do get then in Yorkshire) I peeked in, minus hat and veil and tried to remove the now nearly empty container. The bees were having none of it, and had a go at me, stinging me on the chin. It was not till later I realised the fumes coming from the container were positively alcholic, so couldn't blame the bees - I was stealing the last remains of their booze. End of party and they were not amused!

Rusty Wise,

Author and illustrator of the Belinda Bee Books,and A little Book of Bee Poems
www.trafford.com (Search Desk)
http://www.pcela.co.yu/IndexE.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next