Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 18, 2014, 05:33:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: slatted board  (Read 699 times)
mat
House Bee

« on: March 08, 2006, 01:35:13 PM »

I am little confused. Some pictures in this forum, and books, as well as at beesource shaw the board with the slats perpendicular or pararel to the frames. What is corect? I am planing to make them myself this year, and I thought they should be pararel.

mat
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 01:53:20 PM »

Pre-varroa, the standard method was perpendicular to the frames, possibly because it is easier to build.  Now with varroa,  the standard seems to be parallel to the frames and placement under the frames (ie. 9 fames/9 slats or 10 frames/10 slats).  The reason beeing that with the slats under the frame,  the chances of the slats catching falling varroa is minimized.  This is especially important when using screened bottom boards.   If you are not using them as part of IPM, but more for ventilation/bearding/swarm control (the original intent),  than either way will work.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next