Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 20, 2014, 12:20:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The obsession begins!  (Read 369 times)
tireman
New Bee

« on: March 05, 2014, 08:14:28 PM »

I got two over wintered hives today. The guy that had them said he has never used any chemicals or drugs on them. This is some stock his father had over 20 years ago and according to him are very hardy. I hope to have as good of luck with them as he did. He also said that one had the tendency to be aggressive, so I'll just be careful with them. The boxes are in bad shape so I'll need to swap them out.  Do you think I should wait or do as soon as possible?

It is what it is
GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 08:22:20 PM »

I'd say to wait for a very warm day. If you don't have much experience (like me) then maybe you could recruit a seasoned beek to stand by as you go through the frames. If it is as he says it is, what you have is gold. A strand of bees that's been treatment free has some pretty dang good genetics. Try to mimic his beeyard as much as possible. Congrads! This forum is a pretty good place to get info.

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
Joe D
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 12:29:02 AM »

I would say it depends some on how bad they (supers) are.  That is kind of how the Langs I started with were.  I had built new deep brood boxes before I got them.  I got them the middle of Dec.  It wasn't real cold, and I changed them out the week I got them home.   I had the deep they were in, set the new deep beside it, and moved the frames over.   A few months latter I added another deep.  Good luck to you and YOUR Bees, Tireman.

Joe
mikecva
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 05:19:35 PM »

you are looking at two moves: moving them to your place and moving them into new boxes. Yes, both moves should be when warm where you are. The relocation of the hives would be at night. Hive to hive I would do midday while the foragers are out (and the hives side by side.) Move the frames keeping them in the same order and block the entrance and I would use a 1:1 spray on the framed bees to keep them from flying be especially careful not to lose the queen.  -Mike
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 11:57:41 AM by mikecva » Logged

Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
hjon71
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 08:24:01 PM »

I agree with GSF, a hearty untreated hive is as good as it gets.
You are right, obsession is the right word. Congratulations on your new hives. I would swap boxes on the first warm day.
Joe D
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 12:43:05 AM »

Tireman, I just heard there is a beginner bee class at the agriculture museum in Jackson on the 15 of March.  There is a $10
registration fee.  Or that what I heard, I may need to check it out to be sure.

Joe
tireman
New Bee

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 07:18:24 PM »

Joe d
    I saw that in the MbA newsletter that was e-mailed this week. Unfortunately, I have to work that weekend. My dad and I run a tire/mechanic shop and he has a wedding to go to. The only way I will be off is if my son decides to show up a week or so early. We're looking at a April delivery according to the docs. Are you planning to go to bud's this year? I am wanting to but with a newborn in the house it probably be next year.

It is what it is
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next