Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 01, 2014, 07:17:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving bees to new hives and what to do with excess stores?  (Read 225 times)
Spear
House Bee

« on: March 04, 2014, 02:14:15 PM »

Hi all it's me again!
As some might remember I am new to beekeeping since last August and have 12 hives - 10 from an old beekeeper who died and 2 form the beekeeping club. Anyway I'm happy to say that they all made it through the winter beautifully!
I'm now starting to move the 10 colones into new hives and have already encountered some 'problems' (well i did sort of expect there would be problems anyway)
1: the old hives are a mix of Deutch normal and Zander and the new hives are all Dadant so the old frames don't fit in the new hives.
2: the old frames are FULL of uneaten stores.

So far I have only attempted to transfer 1 colony from a Deutch normal hive (the frames are way smaller than Dadant!). What I ended up having to do was to take the top 'brood box' off the old hive and put the 'brood box' of the new hive on top of the bottom 'brood box' of the old hive then hang 3 frames with just half foundation in the new hive and use them to hang the frames from the top 'brood box' of the old hive. However i am now thinking that i should just take out the old frames and give them all new frames with just foundation (I don't have and drawen comb to give them) in the new hive and let them move up into the new hive at their own speed and remove the old hive altogether once I am sure the queen is in the new hive..  huh  huh

Now this I have to do for 10 hives before they really get going in the spring!  shocked
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 03:45:30 PM »

I would put a dadant box with 10 frames and foundation on top of each old hive. As soon as they have it about half full and she is laying in it, or if I had to move her up into it, I would then put a queen excluder under the Dadant and they will begin to move the honey up. After 24 plus days the brood, including the drones, would be emerged. At that time, I would consolidate the old frames that had honey and remove the ones that didn't. Keep adding Dadant boxes on top and removing old boxes from the bottom as they empty out.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Steel Tiger
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 12:03:09 AM »

I agree with iddee although I would put two boxes above the queen excluder. Make sure the queen is in the empty boxes. She'll start laying the the bees will move the honey to the top box above her. Rotate the empties from the bottom and add empties between the brood box and honey as needed.
 I put a box that was half full of honey under the brood box hoping to get the queen to start laying in a medium and in less than a week, all the honey was moved up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next