Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 21, 2014, 06:16:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When to add more boxes in spring (2nd year)  (Read 297 times)
ChrisT
House Bee

« on: March 02, 2014, 03:06:57 PM »

As a new beekeeper the rule was 75% drawn but in second year i assume thats 75% used (drawn comb already from last season). In winter I have had a deep and 2 mediums on top. Its onyl March 1st and it looks like the bees havent used the top medium of honey yet, the middle medium is half gone, and theyre raising a few drones in the middle medium amongst the honey, and theyre already filling the bottom deep with, I would say, 40% new brood and with quite a bit (20%) of nectar from somewhere. So I am close to my 75% in the botom deep.

When do you remove honey from last year that they havent touched yet (upper medium) becuase i dont want to starve them too early and when do you add a new brood box below the deep? I just dont want to wait too long and have them start filling the deep with honey.

Thanks

Chris

iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 03:32:14 PM »

If there is 4 or more frames of honey in the bottom medium, I would extract the top deep and put it back on.

In Ga., why would you want a second deep?

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 03:48:54 PM »

Maybe I am reading it wrong but I read one deep. Decide, do you want another deep for some reason as in a set aside even split later or do you want to add a honey super. I would add another honey super of drawn comb above the brood chamber. Or if you have enough drawn comb checkerboard the honey supers. If you choose another route and want to get rid of the old honey, take it away from the hives scratch the cappings and let the bees rob it out if extracting would be a pain or not feasible as it would be for me.

Alot of folks disagree but do yourself a favor and read about checker-boarding by Walt Wright in preparation for later years when you have a surplus of drawn comb if not so already.

As far as adding a deep to the bottom for me it would go above the other deep. Beware if you add undrawn foundation and you are not feeding for them to drawn comb and they have no nectar to drawn comb a solid super of foundation could create a wall and cause crowding. Either create room for the queen to lay.

John 3:16
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 05:24:48 PM »

sc-bee, are you taking into consideration that he still has freezing temps coming before spring arrives?

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 07:10:43 PM »

I think so - very similar to my temps. And configuration same as mine except I have shallows instead of mediums. I am not saying manipulate the brood in anyway or bust it up. I winter with a deep and a shallow or maybe two and I just don't find my bees move to the top box as others say. Maybe it is because they prefer to saty in the bottom deep vs a shallow?

I am not saying take the feed off now but later if they wish. And checkerbaording, which does not involve the broodnest, is done 8wks before white wax which for me is first week in April. Minus 8wks and you are in early Febuary definitely some freezeing weather left. The bees will still have access to the feed if they need it as they will break cluster during the day hours and they will also have room to expand in the empty drawn frames. As I understand in our temps bees do not freeze but starve. Leaving the frames/ or super if chosen will allow the feed. The checkered frames or the empty super whichever chosen will give room for expansion. I see a problem with swarming far before issues with freezing or temps. For me it is a win-win, but the concept aint for all Smiley Especially for those that do not believe, in checkerbaording that is.

Edited: Or put the empty super on top if you think the temps are a concern and better watch them close, at least for me in my area, as it is time for swarm preps to begin soon and they will be in the trees in a Wink
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 07:39:22 PM by sc-bee » Logged

John 3:16
Joe D
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 07:54:16 PM »

I got to finish going through my hives this afternoon.  They didn't make much honey last year so I left supers on.  I also removed queen excluders from all hives last spring.  Anyway, there was one hive that was 1 deep, 1 medium, and 2 shallow supers.  There was little of anything in the deep.  The medium, this is 10 frame supers, had 8 frames of brood, and 2 frames of pollen and honey.  The bottom shallow had 6 frames of brood and the other had 5, they both had some honey and a little free space.  Mine will got to the top.  They have a lot of bees, and are fixing to have a lot more.  I went through 4 hives, saw 1 SHB.

We may still have a nite or two with temps below freezing, but like SC said, swarming and starving are more likely down here.  I would consider checker boarding the mediums except for the brood.  And I usually run double deep brood chambers.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe
ChrisT
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 08:25:14 PM »

Thanks for the replies
I was kind of on the road iddee was on.
I didnt want to remove the honey too early have them starve if there is a setback in nectar gathering (freezing temps).
And i thought as new bees emerge the honey is supposed to go super fast so I was wondering if they would need that honey they havent touched yet. I have alot of brood that is about to hatch. Ill leave the top medium (untouched from last winter) for a little while longer.

I only have 1 deep (on the bottom) and i was wondering if I should add a medium for brood expansion (not another deep, I only have 1 deep usually). As they are supposed to move down, I would have put the new medium on the bottom, but iddee seems to imply putting empty levels on top of the brood is better. No one seems to be saying that adding a new level is bad right now, which i will do, so the question is then whos right? above or below my deep?

I did see a smidgen of new white comb, sce-bee, which is what concerned me. They seem to be in ramp up mode.
By checkerboarding you mean remove every other frame from my unused honey medium on top and replace with empty frames (aka the extracted frames)?

Thanks
Chris
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 08:42:38 PM »

Every one is right, Chris. Small differences don't mean that much. The goal is to have feed, open space for expansion, and the ability to warm the brood and cluster. there are many ways to do that. Individual choices is what makes beekeeping so interesting.

*Shel Silverstein*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next