Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 23, 2014, 04:10:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another disaster - I think there's a curse on me  (Read 403 times)
Oblio13
House Bee

« on: February 16, 2014, 01:30:49 PM »

A friend of mine had one hive in a bear-proof chain-link cage. I put four of mine in there, too. I was in the neighborhood yesterday and stopped by to take a look at them. All the covers were off and they were all dead and filled with snow.

Turns out he thought he had a good idea for wintering. He had pushed them all together, put a whole sheet of polystyrene insulation across all of them, and put rocks on top of that.

A strong wind got under the polystyrene sheet and blew it off, and all the covers as well, because they were frozen to it.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 01:37:42 PM »

are you sure they are dead? 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 03:14:38 PM »

Put the lids back on, the styrofoam back on, double up on the rocks (at least one good heavy one for each hive) and wait for spring.  Some of them may still be alive.  They are not dead until they are warm and dead...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:33:17 AM by Michael Bush » Logged

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Oblio13
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 03:22:21 PM »

I was going to bring the hives home to clean them out, but they were all frozen together in a solid lump, so I put the covers back on and left them there. So I guess I did the right thing by accident. I doubt any are still alive, but I have nothing to lose by waiting. I'll update this when it gets warm enough to do a real inspection.
Moots
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 03:27:13 PM »

Put the lids back on, the styrofoam back on, double up on the rocks (at least one good heavy one for each hive) and wait for spring.  Some of them may still be alive.  They are not dead until they are cold and dead...

I think Michael means "WARM" and dead...At least that's the saying for people, I assume the same is true for bees
and it fits the context of this conversation.

Good Luck!   Smiley

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
                                                                                                                   - Ronald Reagan
kathyp
Universal Bee

Re:
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 05:45:59 PM »

Lol.  Yup.  We have all experienced them warming up and coming back to life!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
GSF
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 09:47:06 PM »

Sorry to hear about that Oblio, what a bummer!

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
kathyp
Universal Bee

Re:
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 09:51:53 PM »

The insulation is not a bad idea.   I use some but cut to fit under the lid.  I have wind issues here too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Alexis de Tocqueville
Oblio13
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 07:46:44 AM »

He put the sheet of insulation across the tops of the lined-up hives. I don't think it does a thing that way, on the outside of the covers. I think the metal would conduct any heat away before the insulation could trap it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 12:45:04 PM by Oblio13 » Logged
rober
Field Bee

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 09:45:40 AM »

cut the foam to the size of the hive. put that on top of the inner cover & replace the outer cover....
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 10:33:56 AM »

>I think Michael means "WARM" and dead..

Yes.  Brain fart.  I fixed it...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next