Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 20, 2014, 12:24:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Excited!! Two colonies are still alive  (Read 341 times)
Stevezone5
New Bee

« on: February 13, 2014, 06:37:48 PM »

Half way through this winter I was worried that I picked the wrong year to become a beek. As you all know its been a brutal winter here in the north. I think we are going on 45 days since we have been above freezing. I took a snowmobile to the property that the colonies are being kept on and gave them a tap and listened.......BUZZING      grin   grin  grin grin

We started with 5 colonies that we expected to make it till spring. And as the subject line says we are down to two. I know its a bit early to count them as survivors but I think their chances are good. As the weather should allow me to do some emergency feeding if necessary.

Thanks Steve
S.M.N.Bee
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 07:50:26 PM »

It would be a good idea to check there stores on the first warm day.

John
GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 09:55:01 PM »

I wouldn't want to have winters like yall do. My hat's off to all the northern beeks! cheer

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
jayj200
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 05:47:51 PM »

insulate and ventilate
there is still time to try to save them.
2 inches foam insulation board at least till the temps rise.
with a opening the same as your bottom entrance.
ventilate the top at the highest point about a 3/8'" hole clear through the top board.
or
wait till next year, maybe they'll survive. maybe they won't.
if all one has done for them is wrap with tar paper, that's no insulation what so ever.

would you live in a home with only tarpaper and wood?

and yes i am from south Florida, couldn't wouldn't stand the cold even in Georgia
jay
Stevezone5
New Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 10:02:16 PM »

John,

My plan is to do a quick check/feed when the temp allows. I would hate to lose them now

JSF,

I asked my Dad WHY we moved from Texas to WI he said.....Mom wanted to come home. I was 2 so I had no say in the matter.    lol

Jay,

I am going to resist "insulating" the colonies for as long as I can. I would rather have stock that can winter without the additional insulation. The reason for this is I would like to have 20 colonies or so and the extra time/cost to insulate is something i would like to avoid.

I do have a inner cover with a notch. I wouldn't mind adding an insulated inner cover.

For me...at this point.....I don't plan on additional insulation to help them. If its just hive placement or something I can leave on year round I'll do it.

Should only be 4 more days before I can take a look and feed if necessary.  Smiley

Still grinnin.....
Thanks Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next