Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 20, 2014, 08:28:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter storm  (Read 762 times)
NCbeekeep
New Bee

« on: February 11, 2014, 09:05:09 PM »

Is everyone ready for the Big winter storm coming? The local news channel love's to talk it up. They claim we could get 14" of snow over the next two days, in my area. We have not had that much snow here since 1993. I hope they are wrong.

William
capt44
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 09:14:17 PM »

The storm is headed ya'lls way, it came thru the south part of Arkansas last night and today.
By the low pressure area being in south Louisiana it is going to be pulling a lot of moisture in ahead of it.
Suppose to be in the upper 60's Sunday.

Richard Vardaman (capt44)
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 09:39:08 PM »

Calling for 3 to 6 inches 20 mile north, 6 to 12 40 mile north. By that, I hope it means 0 to 3 here, but that is probably wishful thinking.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
rbinhood
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 10:37:25 PM »

You can send the snow down my way and I will send all the ice to you........can handle the snow but the ice is a very different kind of animal.

Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 12:45:12 AM »

We still have 5 inches on the ground which can't melt cause it's never above freezing and from all the snow we've had the last month, there are 10ft tall mounds piled up everywhere from road intersections to parking lots. Worse part is we have ice on all the secondary roads that wont melt, and getting in and out of your car and onto clear walkways is treacherous - there's not a guy I work with who hasn't taken a nasty fall in the last 2 weeks.

Not sure what the coastline of NJ is gonna be tomorrow night into Thursday, but luckily I have 2 days off and I won't be on these frozen roads with a fresh 6-12 inches on top.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
AllenF
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 01:08:29 PM »

I am getting tired of ice.  Snow is ok.   But ice is not. 
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 01:50:31 PM »

Started about an hour ago. Got 1 in., calling for 6 to 12 now. High today 27 F. Should be fun.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
GSF
Queen Bee

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 05:57:26 AM »

Saw the news this morning, and it ain't looking good!

We got a mixture but little or no accumulation - I think.

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
Redbug
New Bee

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 06:50:22 AM »

Hooo! I'm in Columbia. I went out this morning, (Thursday), around 6am. I can hardly walk because everything is iced over. And that's on top of the snow. Slick as an ice skating rink. I would say the snow/sleet is about 3 inches deep. Nobody needs to be driving at least this morning. So far the power has stayed on.

Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 08:14:19 AM »

Got about 5 inches here. Mix of sleet and snow all day today.

Snug in my little hideaway as long as the power stays on.

*Shel Silverstein*
sterling
Field Bee

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 10:35:46 AM »

I been wondering if the bad weather down there in Ga. is going to delay package bee delivery to middle Tn. Our club has some Wibanks packages that are supposed to here last of March early April. And Seaborn has some coming here in March also.
NCbeekeep
New Bee

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 02:57:37 PM »

The storm has come and gone. We ended up with about 8" of snow. The state boys have already came through and scraped the road, and the power never went out so I am happy.Does anyone else notice how the local weather reporters love to dramatize everything. They said we were going to get 16" of snow. They talk it up like it is a life threatening situation. When I was a kid growing up we used to have a name for this, we called it " winter". 

William
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 04:58:34 PM »

Same here. Up to 35 and water dripping from the icicles on the eaves.

*Shel Silverstein*
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 07:10:55 PM »

we ended up with about 8 inches, but the sleet pushed it down to a really heavy 5 inches on top of about an inch of ice already there. I work midnight tonight and I'll be the guy making the rounds to 34 buildings and hangars on my Navy base.

It is dropping below freezing right now, gonna be in the low 20s when I start making rounds - should be a slick night ahead.

I got a promotion awhile back, took a long time to get it official (typical military SNAFU paperwork) and we now have more operators than we do boiler workers (my old job) so I'm standing in as worker until we fill my old billet. So I get a great promotion and still end up doing the same job - at least I'm making the bigger bucks for it.

the 34 buildings are over s 18 mile route, I'm out of the truck more than in it, and it takes about 2.5 hours to make the rounds. I'll be on my butt at least twice, that's a given - hopefully the ice will break my fall - lol.

Follow us on TWITTER

Redbug
New Bee

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 07:44:26 PM »

Well for us, it will freeze tonight and hopefully melt away by the weekend. This winter has been horrible. We have a large wood stove and when it gets really cold we use that instead of propane. I enjoy cutting firewood and it's free!

I put the generator in the garage along with gas and extension cords, but we lucked out and the power stayed on.

I just retired a month ago and it has been nice not going into work during bad weather. It's relaxing not having to rush around...

Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 10:47:22 PM »

>Does anyone else notice how the local weather reporters love to dramatize everything<. Well No news drama here. It was everything they billed it to be. About three inches of more of ice. Pines snapping and powerlines coming down all over. We have been without power since 7p last night.Near 85% without power in the local area. In the 20's tonight and waht melted will refreeze for that dangerous black ice highway. Ready for it to thaw.

As far as bee deliveries. If your packages are late they will certainlu use the ice for an excuse if they need it. As far as effecting the bees, I think most come from South Georgia and I am not sure the weather is that extreme there. Heck, I hear these Fla boys on here talking about splits and breaking brood already. Not me...... got a few weeks to go.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 01:26:32 AM by sc-bee » Logged

John 3:16
Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 03:49:56 PM »

All it was is another storm of a foot and half of snow no real big deal

BEE HAPPY Jlm 134 Smiley
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 09:12:15 PM by Jim 134 » Logged

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
10framer
Queen Bee

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 10:14:32 PM »

>Does anyone else notice how the local weather reporters love to dramatize everything<. Well No news drama here. It was everything they billed it to be. About three inches of more of ice. Pines snapping and powerlines coming down all over. We have been without power since 7p last night.Near 85% without power in the local area. In the 20's tonight and waht melted will refreeze for that dangerous black ice highway. Ready for it to thaw.

As far as bee deliveries. If your packages are late they will certainlu use the ice for an excuse if they need it. As far as effecting the bees, I think most come from South Georgia and I am not sure the weather is that extreme there. Heck, I hear these Fla boys on here talking about splits and breaking brood already. Not me...... got a few weeks to go.

i think ray's right, most of the packages come from south georgia and they didn't get ice.  they are experiencing colder than normal temperatures, though.  i had drones this time last year and as of about a week ago i didn't even see any drone brood but there are people north and south of me reporting drones so it could just be my bees.
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 02:55:50 PM »

About the weathermen. They are like putting milk and bread in the back of the supermarket, if it was up front customers would be out of the store in minutes - they tease you with a blurb about what the report's gonna be the second the news starts, then make you sit through 25 minutes of news to see the weather.

Follow us on TWITTER

Redbug
New Bee

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 04:36:18 PM »

It's all about getting viewership and people to watch their station and buy their advertised products. Any more it's all entertainment. The national news is especially so. Remember Huntley/Brinkley? They really did have reporters that weren't "pretty people".

Oh I got off track...the weather people are the same thing.

Dave

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next