Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 19, 2014, 05:02:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elio?  (Read 1070 times)
hjon71
Field Bee

« on: February 09, 2014, 09:55:54 PM »

I saw an ad for this on fb. I'm buying one ASAP. Anyone else?

http://www.eliomotors.com/

Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 06:24:37 AM »

Naw, gimmi a horse any day  grin  That thing doesn't look like it would last very long around here…...

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."
hjon71
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 08:42:40 AM »

Lol TBeek, a horse wouldn't be nearly as practical for a 50 mile round-trip commute to work everyday. I currently drive a debt free 06 Prius shocked It is the only one where I work. Still get weird looks sometimes from the jacked-up crewcab 4x4 diesel truck owners. Wait till they get a look at this grin

Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 08:49:40 AM »

Lol TBeek, a horse wouldn't be nearly as practical for a 50 mile round-trip commute to work everyday. I currently drive a debt free 06 Prius shocked It is the only one where I work. Still get weird looks sometimes from the jacked-up crewcab 4x4 diesel truck owners. Wait till they get a look at this grin

I think that's the point, right?  laugh  Getting weird looks that is  laugh 

(I rarely drive much further than 50 miles from home these days, so a horse suits me fine for most sojourns)

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."
hjon71
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 09:58:17 AM »

I think that's the point, right? Getting weird looks that is

No. Not really. Just a funny byproduct of trying to commute efficiently while maintaining a certain comfort level.
It is cheap(by comparison to other new vehicles) to buy, and nearly doubles my current MPG.
It is built and mostly parts sourced here in the USA(buy American keep Americans working).

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 11:25:16 AM »

i only spend a few looking at the site, but it seem short on real info?  maybe i missed something....  it's interesting looking.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
hjon71
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 11:38:08 AM »

They aren't in production yet. Looks like the first of 2015.
The facilities are an old GM plant I believe. The fourth generation prototype is on tour trying to gain support. There are a few YouTube videos.

I really hope they build and sell them. I already paid my deposit to be one of the first delivered. Can't wait grin

iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 12:16:46 PM »

When did they start the first prototype? If it's the same one, I think it has been quite some time. Your deposit invested in an interest bearing account may have paid for the whole car by the time it hits the market.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
hjon71
Field Bee

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 09:07:01 PM »

When did they start the first prototype? If it's the same one, I think it has been quite some time. Your deposit invested in an interest bearing account may have paid for the whole car by the time it hits the market.

Founded in 2008.
I just heard about it this year. So my $1000 "investment" isn't likely to pay for the car in the next 12 months lol.
Unless you know a guy who can make a 600%/yr shocked  roi happen, I am happy helping a good idea get off the ground.

iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 09:30:08 PM »

I hope the best for you and for the car business. I'm thinking they missed a couple of roll out dates. Again, just going from a senile memory, so I may well be wrong.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 09:30:16 PM »

84 miles to the gallon has my interest. Need to research this more.

hjon71
Field Bee

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 11:16:59 PM »

Iddee there has been some delay. I think some was due to waiting to get the facilities and some from trying to get the crash test certification, also some work on getting helmet exemptions based on the crash rating.
I'm not trying to sell it, just anxious to get in one cool

hjon71
Field Bee

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 11:00:12 PM »

Any Louisiana beeks have any info? Did you even know?

NCbeekeep
New Bee

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 08:48:04 AM »

I hope they get this vehicle on the market. I have said for many years that it was possible for a company to make a vehicle that would get 50 or more miles per gallon, and still be economical for the average American to purchase. I would never pay $75,000 or $100,000 for a vehicle that gets 40 or 50 miles per gallon that also has a battery that cost $5000. I am very excited about the Elio. I have not paid them any money yet but I sure would like to have one. It does seem to be a waste to be driving around by myself in my truck at 22 mpg.I also do not anticipate mass transit coming to rural western NC, so I could see a 84 mpg vehicle in my future.     

William
hjon71
Field Bee

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 09:09:03 AM »

They have 2 options for reserving your purchase.
I chose the option that returns my deposit should the venture fail to come to market. I believe it will but there is still a chance it won't. I'm not a gambler. cool
But I am willing to help fund it (I REALLY want one).

10framer
Super Bee

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 10:54:07 AM »

if you only had to make highway commutes it would be practical.  i'd hate to be in one and get tagged by a semi (or even a civic), though.
hjon71
Field Bee

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 02:10:50 PM »

In the warmer months I ride a motorcycle. This would be safer than that. So that doesn't bother me at all.

10framer
Super Bee

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 02:51:29 PM »

In the warmer months I ride a motorcycle. This would be safer than that. So that doesn't bother me at all.

in my mind that's pretty much what i was comparing it to safety-wise. 
hjon71
Field Bee

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 03:50:40 PM »

If you look at their site they hope to achieve a high safety rating just like normal cars.

10framer
Super Bee

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 09:54:07 AM »

i don't see how they could but i'm not an engineer so i have nothing to back myself up other than looking at it.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next