Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 30, 2014, 11:03:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mosquito spraying  (Read 353 times)
Chanticleer48
New Bee

« on: February 07, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »

Question.....I plan to place my hive in my backyard, I live in a small town in SW Georgia and during the spring and summer the town sprays for mosquitos just about everyday starting in March.  How will this affect my colony?  Do I need to try find another site for my hive? Should I cover the hive up when I hear the spray truck coming?  The town usually sprays right at dark, and I am pretty sure they use malathion for the insecticide to be sprayed.
Moots
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 10:30:54 AM »

How far from the road will they be?  Depends on several factors....wind direction, time they spray, what exactly they use, etc. etc....But short answer, Yes, it will kill your bees.

Here in Louisiana there has been a recent coordinated and cooperative effort to work with mosquito control on this issue and our local parish (county) mosquito division has been great to work with.  I'd suggest starting by having a conversation with them, either personally, or possibly inviting them to speak at your LBC to discuss options.  If you can get them to spray after dark once your bees are in for the night, you "should" be fine.  Another option is to ask them to not spray when they get near your house...depending on if you have neighbors and how close they are, this may or may not be a good option.  Another option is to share your hive location and ask them if they must spray, to take wind direction into account and do the best they can to minimize your hives exposure. 

As I said, our Mosquito control folks have been great to work with...I'd just start a dialogue on a polite note acknowledging the importance of the job they do, while expressing your concern for the health of your bees and wanting to know how you can best work with them for a win/win situation.

Good Luck!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
                                                                                                                   - Ronald Reagan
sawdstmakr
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 11:44:35 AM »

They do aerial spraying here. They fly just above tree top. The man in charge came to one of our meetings and talked about what they do and use. I do not remember what they use but I do know that it is only effective as a mist. Once it lands and drys it becomes inert. I have not had any die offs where I had a lot of dead bees on the ground in front of the hive (classic symptom). I suspect if I had a lot of bearding during the spraying, the chances of a die off would be much higher.
They also put floating rings in the ditches but it supposeable only affects the larvae in the water.
Jim
PLAN-B
House Bee

When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 06:07:19 PM »

I asked this same question last spring as it was my first year. The mosquito man typically comes after dark at which time the bees are not flying. My bees are about 200 ft. from the road from which they spray. I am sure its not good for the bees, but i have not had any trouble with my three hives thus far.
I don't know which chemical they are spraying, but the mosquito's seem to take a bath in it and keep on moving. huh

Marshall
capt44
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 07:30:17 PM »

Typically they spray Malathon-50 water mixed.
They usually spray at or close to dark so the bees should be in the hives.
Now if they use kerosene to mix and fog with it then you can have problems.
They are suppose to let you know ahead of time when they are going to spray whether with a plane, spray rig or a fogger.
With planes they have to have a flight plan for the application of the mosquito spray.
They will have a start time and stop time, flight path and emergency landing areas.
They are not to apply a spray outside that time limit.
I will say, from experience at spraying with a truck, if one person so much as complains of a headache or something die and they believe the chemical did it, LAW SUIT TIME!
In other words they have to let you know so your bees can be fastened up during the spraying or fogging.

Richard Vardaman (capt44)
KD4MOJ
Field Bee

Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 02:14:10 PM »

I'm in a "no-spray" zone. That's because I signed up with the countys program to eliminate spraying in my neighborhood. I don't think my neighbors like it too much since I'm on the edge of a swamp and we get some big skeeters in the summertime. I guess that the county started the program because of respiratory health issues to people and whatever type spray they use.

Might want to check and see if your county offers that same service.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next