It's been awhile since the last time I posted. The girls have been quit busy and I took my first look in quite some time. The last time wasn't too awful long after I got them all settled into the new digs. I had opened them up to see how there doing 2-3 months back and at that time added a second 10 frame deep to the first box. They seemed to be growing quite fast. Today I took a look (my beek (Jim) has been telling me to do this but I've been busy) and found the newest boxes completely full of honey! Jim had told me that if there was honey in the outer frames to take the two outside frames out and install new frames and foundations. Well I took 4 frames out of each hive and added 4 new frames and foundations and a medium supper to each hive. Now, I look at the 8 frames full of honey... OMG I've got honey!! This is my first experience at this and now feel I in over my head!! I spent the next 5 hours scrapping the comb from the frames into a bowl and then straining into a 4 gallon pot. Now on my kitchen counter is a big red 4 gallon pot filled to with in about 2" of the top with honey! And all I have is 36, 8oz jars!! LOL I didn't have a clue as to how much honey can come from so few frames. I'm looking into an extractor for the next time I go to harvest the goodness from the ladies!! My girls must really love it at my house
Oh, and I only got stung once and accidentally hurt 2 bees. Life is good.... be better with an extractor tho!!