Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another bee tree cut down  (Read 595 times)

Offline rwurster

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 86
Another bee tree cut down
« on: January 26, 2014, 04:13:46 PM »
Unfortunately my camera was dead so I couldn't take any pics of the removal.  Yesterday and today were in the mid 50's but a snow storm is rolling in tonight.  I managed to get 50# of honey comb into deep frames, stuffed them into an 8 frame box (thank goodness I had an extra 8 frame box) put all the bees in with the combs and tossed a piece of newspaper between my existing double deep 8 framer and the new super (no queen in cutout).  I'm hoping the extra influx of bees along with the extra honey should be enough to pull the entire colony through to the spring.  I got 2-5 gallon buckets of beautiful comb out which I'm putting into frames for next year's swarm season.  I also have another 30# of honey to feed back to any struggling hives in the spring.  I got a 5th 5 gallon bucket full of wood from inside the tree which is completely propolized (sp).  Anyway, a hive always has much to offer even if it got destroyed and I'm glad I got there as temps are going to dip into the low teens for a few days.  I'll post some pics if the lady who called me sends them to my e-mail.  It was an unexpectedly good day  :mrgreen:
Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
Facebook Link

Offline greenbtree

  • Field Bee
  • ***
  • Posts: 596
  • Gender: Female
Re: Another bee tree cut down
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 10:26:53 PM »
Let us know how things work out.  I am interested how a combine works out in winter.  Good luck.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline rwurster

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 86
Re: Another bee tree cut down
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 11:06:09 PM »
Well it got to almost 40 today and the bees brought out a bunch of their dead, checked the combine and it looks like it took.  The cluster I combined was big enough to survive the almost 2 weeks of negative temps and it looks like after a few weeks of smelling each other they combined readily *today* and most of the hive moved up into the new box where the new 50# of honey was located.  For some reason I can't post pics at this time but I'm happy with the result.  I honestly didn't think the combine would work so I'm very pleased today.


Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
Facebook Link