Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 29, 2014, 01:44:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feeding time  (Read 227 times)
mat299
New Bee

« on: February 17, 2014, 09:14:27 PM »

Ok guys.  Is it going to start to warm up here in north georgia now?  I was wondering when you guys thought I would be able to start feeding and getting my hives ready for spring.
Vance G
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 10:16:13 PM »

I would say you need to look in your hives and see if they need feed!  If they don't have a frame or two of capped fodder, it is time to start feeding.  Hives brooding up can starve in a heart beat and I imagine yours are.  The ground is still frozen here. 
GSF
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 05:56:32 AM »

Hey Matt, (love your neck of the woods) As you can see I'm in central Alabama and 10framer is due east of me. He just posted a thread about feeding. I've been feeding off and on for about 3 weeks. When I went in to check it then I was concern about the lack of stores so I started. This is my first year as a beekeeper(that's a warning) but I'd feed. I mix 2 sugar to 1 water with a spoon of apple cider vinegar to balance the ph the way the bees need it.

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
stanisr
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 10:22:51 AM »

Check your hives, I just lost a double deep that I thought was ok, due to starvation. They were flying and looking good 3 weeks ago, but when it warmed up this week they were dead. I looked in the hive to find no honey stores. They had began building up and simply ran out of food. I looked in my other hives to find them dangerously low on honey so I began feeding.

Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next