Another little update. From the top it doesn't look like the bees have touched much of the sugar that I put over them in the fall. It was beautiful today. So I was going to see if I could push enough of the sugar away to see if there were still bees in there. I found out all of the sugar was rock hard! So I simply lifted it off. Both nucs alive! One was pretty small and seemed to only cover a frame or two. The other nuc covered at least three frames. Neither had touched the sugar much. I scraped away the newspaper just in case, but I suspect they just haven't needed it. I think the really bad weather is behind us. Now I just need to make sure they keep well fed until dandelions come out.