Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 20, 2014, 06:26:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Open feeding pollen substitute  (Read 297 times)
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« on: March 31, 2014, 06:56:53 PM »

I have an old hive body out in the yard that I've been feeding pollen substitute from. I was adding to it this afternoon and thought I'd video a little before I put the top cover back in. They have probably taken 4 to 5 pounds so far.  I have syrup jars out in the yard on nice days too. I don't keep them near the pollen sub,as I have seen bees get sticky from syrup then cover themselves in pollen dust. It does not do the bees good as the mess glues them up.
http://youtu.be/IfYVwa4B-Us

Vance G
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 10:26:32 PM »

Do you have any natural pollen coming in yet in PA?  Ground still frozen in the shade here.  I worry about open feeding and getting my bees out looking when nothing is there.  That said, All mine have patties on and in a week some will have syrup. 
Bush_84
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 10:49:25 PM »

I was thinking about this earlier this week.  Would using an empty hive body encourage robbing?  If this setup ever ran out would they move to the closest hive? 

Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.
sawdstmakr
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 11:28:15 PM »

I don't think pollen will trigger robbing. Honey and sugar water will but not pollen.
Jim

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 06:44:43 AM »

I have the box of pollen substitute about 200 feet from my overwintered bees. We have a little bit of natural pollen coming in. This is a better source of protein than having them drag in sawdust and whatever else they may bring in. They are out looking anyhow,so it does no harm. I also have patties inside the hive,but they have not been very interested in those.
There is some natural pollen starting to come in as I can see different colors when they are at the hive entrance. On a plus side, if there are nay ferals out there,I sure would like them to build up too. Smiley
Cedar Hill
New Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 04:21:10 PM »

I've been using soy flour (no fat), for over fifty years, open feeding as in the video and never have seen any robbing resulting from it.   Very good way of getting pollen to them IMO, maybe better than the patties.   Was told that the small hive beetles go for the patties.   OMTCW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next