Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 21, 2014, 08:42:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Total max hive weight  (Read 247 times)
Variable
House Bee

« on: January 16, 2014, 05:01:43 PM »

Quick question for you fine beeks. I am wondering (I know it will vary based on where you are) what is the MAX weight of a hive? This is total weight, boxes, frames, bees, stores, etc... I have seen on Michael Bush's site what each box could weigh but I was wondering if anyone has info on the total weight of a hive. Again this is the max weight.

I am looking at getting a scale to weigh the hives but do not want to get one that will not work (maxed out). The scale I am looking at has a 400Lbs (181Kg) limit and want to make sure that that is enough.
So what is the heaviest hive you have ever had or seen.
Thanks all!!

I want to beelieve.
WA Apiary ID WA14-077
Vance G
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 06:02:10 PM »

I once had some monsters in exceptional forage fill six deep supers sitting on top of two brood boxes.  If you figure a conservative 70 pound average that is 560 pounds.  350 would not be uncommon with good colonies on good forage.  That being said, mine averaged less than half that lower number the last two years. 
merince
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 06:05:49 PM »

I have seen some pretty tall stacks that can easily top 400 pounds. I think the more important issue is if they can get that tall in your region. Finally, once you get over 400 lbs for scales, the price for scales starts rising pretty quickly.

I think the scale will be fine - after all, you're the one that is adding the boxes and once the hive starts getting tall, you can just pull the scale. Hive weight is really important for going into winter and by then the hives are usually under 200 lbs.

10framer
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 06:18:15 PM »

5 or 6 mediums stacked on a double deep used to be the standard down this way.  i made bees and comb instead of honey last year so i'm not sure what things are like these days.  i would hope that 400 pounds wasn't enough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next