Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 28, 2014, 12:21:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter hive help  (Read 346 times)
sied172
New Bee

« on: January 13, 2014, 08:07:57 PM »

Hi everyone. This is my first winter as a bee keeper. The summer went really well but last weeks -40 degree wind chills finished off my hive. I checked today and no survivors. I have already ordered my replacement package for next year but I'm not sure how to handle the hive until spring. It has a lot of uncapped honey. Should i leave the hive in the field until spring and then add the new package. I cleaned out all the dead bees and scrapped up the food patties. The hive is clean but the honey is all uncapped and soaking up the airs moisture. Will that uncapped honey and frames be ok to use on my new package next spring. Does the honey and combs sitting in the hive all winter poss any threat or risk. Thank ahead of time for the help
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 08:19:27 PM »

Can you put the frames with open honey in a trash bag and freeze them? You can feed them back in the spring if they have not fermented.
merince
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 10:58:17 AM »

Since you're also in Ohio, you're pretty safe to leave the frames alone for the next couple of months. Once it warms up in much, you might want to freeze them to prevent wax moths until your package arrives in April (I assume). The drawn comb and honey will give an excellent boost to your package. Good Luck!

sied172
New Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 01:55:04 PM »

Thanks everyone. What happens if the honey does ferment. I lack freezer space. Will the bees clean out the fermented honey and clean it up, or will it hurt them. I always notice bees around my beer in the spring.
merince
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 02:02:21 PM »

I don't think it will ferment.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next