Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 23, 2014, 12:42:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power vs Responsibility  (Read 510 times)
T Beek
Super Bee

« on: January 13, 2014, 08:29:51 AM »

We are taught (well some of us are) that with power comes responsibility--------suposedly  Undecided

Human actions and industry have enormous power to harm 'our' world, so where is the responsibility NOT TO?

It is undeniable that humanity has suffered a "Great Disconnect" from nature over a rather short period of our history.  We have been purposely led to believe in something else, something imagined, sinister and life destroying and taking.

PERHAPS:  A share of the 'worth' of our Mother Earth would 'reverse' our current unsustainable course, perhaps…………The healthier our ecosystem, the fatter our RENT dividend would become.

The "old" bottom line would then be pulling on the same end of the rope along with "stewardship" for the world, instead of exploitation and immediate profit   It could/would/should "re-align" the interests of both the planet and its people.

Just an IDEA.

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 08:56:45 AM »

We all have the same idea, it's just that everyone has their own idea of where the line is drawn between survival and preservation of the earth.

Some think preservation at all costs, others think reap what you can before you die. darn the future generations. There needs to be some relenting from both these types.

If all would agree to take what they need, leave the rest, all would be good.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 09:50:50 AM »

Without 'preservation' what will be left, what will we leave future generations?

Some of us need to be 'forced' into paying for the 'abuse' caused and the exclusive 'use' of what GOD (earth) provided to 'all' inhabitants.  That's the position I personally  advocate for.

Leaving the rest is?…..I don't know, are there 'any' examples that modern humans are even capable of that?  We seem to be extracting anything and everything at an increased rate with "no End" (?) in site.  Small, individual actions including our own, hardly count and sure won't save the planet or us.  We need 'something' on a grander scale, but I feel nothing will motivate our species w/out a crisis……….hope its not too late……...

iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 10:14:49 AM »

""I don't know, are there 'any' examples that modern humans are even capable of that?""

One very good one. Hunting.... The license and other fees have paid for extensive measures to keep the wild game alive and well. There are many more wild game animals today then in 1900 to 1920.

I agree, much more needs to be done in other fields, but when you have extremists screaming from both ends, seldom is there progress in the middle.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 10:28:36 AM »

""I don't know, are there 'any' examples that modern humans are even capable of that?""

One very good one. Hunting.... The license and other fees have paid for extensive measures to keep the wild game alive and well. There are many more wild game animals today then in 1900 to 1920.

I agree, much more needs to be done in other fields, but when you have extremists screaming from both ends, seldom is there progress in the middle.

That's because, while we're screaming at each other we are 'ignoring' the root.  Its all part of the plan…..

Wisconsins Deer numbers are the 'lowest' they've been in decades, seems there are other ways of killing wildlife besides hunting.

iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 11:52:03 AM »

Wisconsin's deer dearth is because of disease. Caused by under harvesting. If the conservationist had their way, enough would have been harvested to keep the population spread out enough to keep the disease from spreading. Over protection is your cause there. As said before, extremists are the root of the trouble from both ends. Find the middle ground and all would be well.

*Shel Silverstein*
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 12:07:58 PM »

I'm not so certain it has anything to do with 'under' harvesting.  

Hunters have dwindled along with the deer population.  The lack of pressure (massive drives moving deer) and lack of hunters explain part of it, disease is also a part as was an increase in our wolf population.  There are likely other factors we and the DNR are unaware of.  

I don't have the stamina for deer hunting anymore, never was a 'tree stand' hunter.  Never shot one when I wasn't on the move, on a trail, resting and even smoking a cigarette  Smiley.  

Frankly I prefer wild turkey these days and with our above average temps over the last decade, up until this winter, their population has exploded.  Thirty years ago we had none, had to go 300 miles south to find or hunt them.

Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 08:27:54 PM »

>Wisconsins Deer numbers are the 'lowest' they've been in decades, seems there are other ways of killing wildlife besides hunting.

They have been overpopulated all over North America for decades now.  Not enough hunters leads to Chronic Wasting Disease and Blue Tongue and Starvation.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 06:48:57 AM »

I am not a hunter myself, but over the years I have noticed a huge drop in "successful" hunting. It seems that today most hunters only set foot in the woods on the first or second day of the season. They spend little or no time studying the movements of deer or are unaware of the habits of the animal they are hunting in the preseason. This gives way to a lot of people going to the woods and not seeing any wildlife. Is this an indicator of lack of wildlife, or an indication of the lack of hunting skills in the current generation?
 I know quite a few people that are very good at harvesting animals that the others claim are not there in the same section of forest.

TBeek, is that Wild Turkey at camp or the bird of the same name?  Or perhaps both? Smiley
Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 07:16:21 AM »

goodpost

BEE HAPPY Jim134  Smiley

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 09:24:22 AM »

I am not a hunter myself, but over the years I have noticed a huge drop in "successful" hunting. It seems that today most hunters only set foot in the woods on the first or second day of the season. They spend little or no time studying the movements of deer or are unaware of the habits of the animal they are hunting in the preseason. This gives way to a lot of people going to the woods and not seeing any wildlife. Is this an indicator of lack of wildlife, or an indication of the lack of hunting skills in the current generation?
 I know quite a few people that are very good at harvesting animals that the others claim are not there in the same section of forest.

TBeek, is that Wild Turkey at camp or the bird of the same name?  Or perhaps both? Smiley

laugh Gave up the hard stuff years ago, although I will indulge in a good cognac now and then if out someplace with the wife.  I'm a home brewer, mainly of ales.

That said, I've never mixed hunting with drinking  Smiley

IMHO; The latest breed of hunters are for the most part, exactly what you describe.  Few are willing to do the work anymore.  I feel blessed to live surrounded by forest and lakes and to be truthful I don't miss all the OOT traffic that would invade us every year, even though us locals benefited by them stomping through the woods, chasing deer in our direction  Smiley.  I know a 'few' bow-hunters, and some gun hunters who still take the 'art' of hunting seriously and respectfully, but as said, they are few.

As a disabled vet in Wisconsin I can hunt turkey (or deer if I wanted to) with gun or crossbow, from my truck parked about 200 yards from my back door.  I wouldn't be able to participate in hunting any other way, so am grateful for the privilege and ability to still fill our freezers.

Man, this topic sure took a turn-a-round  Wink

buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 05:10:20 PM »

Wasn't the hunt discussion part of the disconnect from nature? Smiley
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 07:23:08 PM »

Wasn't the hunt discussion part of the disconnect from nature? Smiley

I suppose so.  But all hunting isn't necessarily a reconnection with nature as has already been pointed out, nor does one have to hunt in order to re-connect.  All that is needed to (re) connect is time, quiet time with all senses wide open.  Spending less time with 'modern' technology (faces glued to one screen or another) and more time outdoors.

It is our 'collective' disconnection from nature (the world, what's real) that concerns me most about our future.  All of our futures.  My own personal connection with the world, while always evolving, is completely irrelevant if the majority of the world's people spend their time at the Mall, watching TV or just trying to survive another day.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next