I started raising bees about 6 years back with my dad. One time, while working on the hives, the bees got into my bee jacket, and my veil. I acted as calmly as I could, which consisted stripping off all my clothes, flailing my arms, screaming wildly, and running around naked for nearest the shower. It was embarrassing, to say the least. I was stung on my neck, among other places. It was itchy, and a little swollen that night, but that was about it.
The next year, I got stung on the side of my forehead. My parents assured me that I would be fine; that the swelling would go down the next day. I woke up the next morning, unable to open my left eye because that side of my face was so swollen. After laughing hysterically, my parents suggested I try different things- ointment, ice, honey, aloe, etc. Nothing helped; I looked like an overstuffed chipmunk. After 5 days, I could finally open my eye again. It took about a week for full recovery.
The following year I got stung on my hand. It started swelling up, and swelled up so badly, I could not use my hand at all for an entire week. I kept it in a glove because it was so swollen, red, and itchy; I couldn’t move my fingers because they were so swollen.
During the years, I would also get stung by yellow jackets, or ground bees. I would have a little bump that day, then it would go down, and I’d be fine. Only with honeybee stings do I have this reaction.
Some people have told me I should get an epi pen. Others say swelling is normal; but I fear that if I am ever stung on the neck again, some serve swelling could be a big problem. I have never gone into anaphylactic shock, but I fear that if I have a worse reaction to each sting, I might. I’m not sure if that’s possible, or if this swelling is just my body building up “immunity” to honey bee stings…? Again, I’m not asking for medical advise, I’m just wondering of your opinions, and experiences.