Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 25, 2014, 01:06:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: honey with 12% moisture  (Read 583 times)
cbinstrasburg
New Bee

« on: January 06, 2014, 03:47:55 PM »

I have a problem with my honey being to dry...It is clear (looks good) and the taste is good but is sooo thick...this honey was uncapped when extracted (meaning it was capped when I took it from the hive)...also it was 95* while it was being extracted. I purchased a Atago refractor to check this honey that I suspected to be too dry and sure enough it is 12%. At room temp it is stiffer than peanut butter. I have 6 gallons of this stuff and don't know what to do with it. Has anybody had this problem and know what to do with it. Can I mix with distilled water and get it back to 17% or so and it still be saleable. Or what can I do. Let me say my apiary is in the middle of 100 acres of flood irrigated alfalfa. I have searched for information and still at a total loss. Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Carl   
Moots
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 04:17:51 PM »

Hmm...Interesting problem!   In my experience, everyone's problem seems to always be on the other end of the spectrum, too high of a moisture content.

Possibly a good candidate for Creamed Honey???  Maybe?  huh

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
                                                                                                                   - Ronald Reagan
sawdstmakr
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 10:07:26 PM »

It would be great for mixing with high moisture honey. If you store it in a high moisture area, like a steamy bathroom, it will absorb moisture.
Jim
cbinstrasburg
New Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 01:57:59 AM »

It would be great for mixing with high moisture honey. If you store it in a high moisture area, like a steamy bathroom, it will absorb moisture.
Jim
would you pour it out like in a flat pan or tub?
bernsad
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 02:37:06 AM »

If you are intending to let it absorb moisture from the atmosphere then yes, the more surface area exposed the better.
cbinstrasburg
New Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 09:35:36 AM »

If you are intending to let it absorb moisture from the atmosphere then yes, the more surface area exposed the better.

what do you all think about adding distilled water.  I live in a dry climate.

Moots
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 10:58:47 AM »

what do you all think about adding distilled water.  I live in a dry climate.

Hmm...I guess it "could" work.  But I've never heard of doing that!  shocked  First blush...I don't like the idea, but that's just my 2 cents!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
                                                                                                                   - Ronald Reagan
cbinstrasburg
New Bee

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 11:21:41 AM »

I have a big chest freezer I use as a honey heater...guess I could put a pan of water over the heat lamp with the honey to the side...wonder how fast it will absorb the moisture and will it be evenly through the pan...guess I could stir it now and then...what you think?
Moots
Queen Bee

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 12:15:59 PM »

I have a big chest freezer I use as a honey heater...guess I could put a pan of water over the heat lamp with the honey to the side...wonder how fast it will absorb the moisture and will it be evenly through the pan...guess I could stir it now and then...what you think?

Again...I have no experience with this problem...

But I think that's more the route I'd go.  For whatever reason, I just don't think adding water directly would work.

Just thinking out loud here....What about putting it in a room with a humidifier?  I know folks that place their honey in a room with a dehumidifier whenever their moisture content is too high.  Not sure how long it would take, but the honey will definitely absorb moisture from the air.

- Ronald Reagan
sawdstmakr
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 02:00:26 PM »

If I didn't have any other honey, that is what I would do. Just be sure to keep close tabs on it and keep testing it. Honey is hydroscopic, very good at absorbing water.
Vance G
Queen Bee

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 06:36:34 PM »

take a quart of your thick honey.  Add a measured amount of water and mix thoroughly and see what the moisture level is.  I regularly sell 16% moisture and it pleasingly thick.  When you figure out how much added water a quart takes to get to wherever you want your product, do the math.  Then never talk about it again.  Nobody wants to think they are getting watered honey. 
cbinstrasburg
New Bee

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 10:43:26 PM »

just want to say thanks for the replies

Regards
Carl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next