Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 02, 2014, 03:37:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pickled fish  (Read 1661 times)
Vance G
Queen Bee

« on: June 22, 2014, 09:57:28 PM »

Anyone pickle fish out there who knows if it is possible to pickle small fish without scaling or skinning?  I know it may sound/actually be yucky but would like to know from someone who has tried it or knows.  I know soaking in vinegar would dissolve the scales.  Could you then put them in the real pickling brine?  I catch a lot of small yellow perch in a lake where they are stunted by numbers and they should not be thrown back.  Since they are  absolutely my favorite fish, I fillet them down to about four inches long if they are thick enough.  I want to do something with the ones smaller than that where I would just chop the head off and gut them.  Welcome any comment even affirmation that I am a DaXXed fool of thinking of it.
sawdstmakr
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 07:37:22 AM »

Nice idea Vance.
My daughter and caught and cleaned half a dozen Shell Crackers a week ago. A lot of work for a few tidbits.
I will keep an eye on this thread for an answer.
Jim
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 07:54:35 AM »

Give it a try and let us know how it works out.   I pickle a lot of fish but have always skinned them.   The vinegar for 24 hour was just used to dessolve the small bones but I never thought about the scales.  Good idea!
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 08:06:32 PM »

I have a comment and a couple of questions. Shell crackers should be fried and served with cheese grits. Seriously? picked fish? How does it taste? do you have to cook it or just eat it pickled?

steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
sawdstmakr
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 09:35:58 PM »

I have a comment and a couple of questions. Shell crackers should be fried and served with cheese grits. Seriously? picked fish? How does it taste? do you have to cook it or just eat it pickled?

steve
Aprince,
We cooked the Shell Crackers on the grill. My daughter seasoned them, and they were really good but I have caught them cleaned them and put them right on the grill. A very tasty fish. Just wish they were bigger.
I have not tried pickling them yet.
Jim
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 10:17:30 PM »

Danno, how about a recipe. I ate a lot of pickled fish in Illinois, but never learned to pickle them. Would love to give it a try.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Vance G
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 10:18:39 PM »

Haven't you ever tried pickled herring?  My pickled fish taste similar to that.  I pickle boney fish like northern pike because the bones just go away.  I already froze my test fish and will have to get more before I make a test run.

I also can a lot of fish, trash fish like rainbow trout and it makes a good substitute for tuna.  A friend of mine smokes fish and then cans them and they are a real delicacy!  

steve
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 08:15:51 AM »

I fillet the fish and cut into bite size pc's
Make a salt brine.  Water with enough salt to float a egg (in the shell)
soak in the brine for 24 in the frig
soak in vinegar for 24 hours in the frig
Make a pickling brine by boiling one cup of cheap white wine   I use boone's farm country kwencher,  add one cup of sugar and a teaspoon of pickling spice.  Cool
Pack the fish and sliced onions in layers in qt jars
fill the jars with the wine and put in the frig for a couple of weeks
You can also though in a couple of hard boiled eggs sheels off
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 09:27:28 AM by danno » Logged
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 10:04:03 AM »

Do you remove the fish from the vinegar, or add the wine to the vinegar?

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 02:41:12 PM »

you pour the vinegar out and fill with the wine brine
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 05:29:18 PM »

Thanks

*Shel Silverstein*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next