Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 18, 2014, 07:47:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stupid idiot beekeeping, what not to do  (Read 1168 times)
edward
Queen Bee

FEED ME HONEY or I`ll smash your screen !

« on: December 20, 2013, 03:49:37 PM »

Stupid idiot beekeeping, what not to do  fishhit butt kick beat a dead horse flying pig hissy fit need help jaw drop lau

What are the biggest mistakes you have made as a beekeeper?

What things have you done as a beekeeper that you shouldn't have or turned out to bee a mistake?

One of my early mistakes was when I was having a hard time gathering enough bees to make a package late in the day, outside one of my hives there were bees hanging outside the hive entrance in a beard  Brian

Easy pickings to fill the package, scooped them up put them in a new hive with a newly purchased pedigree Queen fed them and put them in a cool Place for 48hrs.

After 2 Days i checked on them, or the mess that was left on the bottom board filled with dead bees, the survivors were pissy and angry  angry

Lesson learned  Brian
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 04:09:44 PM »

wow.  that could be a long list.  i'll stick with my mistakes this year that cost me all my hives.  i didn't get my yellowjacket traps rebaited early enough.  didn't make sure that my hives were secure enough to withstand the attacks from yellowjackets.  when i realized there was a BIG problem, i was gone and couldn't go nest hunting.

basically, inattention to a problem that is reoccurring, but got out of hand this year.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
rwlaw
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 04:17:27 PM »

Putting a boardman feeder on my first hive, with the opening next to the feeder. AND then trying to pull the feeder out in the middle of the day when I figured out they were getting the snot kicked out of em by robbers.
 Smoke? We don't neeed no stinkin smoke, just pull the feeder out and put a piece of reducer in, ya right!

Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!
Vance G
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 09:11:11 PM »

My worst mistakes are always compulsive behaviors.  When I was a young man singlemindedly working to become a full time beekeeper, I bought a hundred pollen traps to make my fortune.  Of course I put them on my best 100 hives.  The traps were bottom installed and of a design that collected every bit of capping off brood, bee legs, lips and eyeballs.  I came up with a small grain cleaner that helped clean the huge amount of pollen I was collecting.  Then it was hand clean the stuff.  I could find no one willing to do the job for wages.  Just as well, I sold a few five gallon buckets full but the market just wasn't there. 

The hives with the traps didn't produce a hundred pounds of honey they would have, judging by the rest of my colonies average production.   I fed the estimable pile I collected to my brother in laws sheep.  The traps rotted in an old wooden grain bin.

Just the other day---I was doing a workup on Ross Round equipment--------
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 06:52:39 AM »

Trying to adhere to too 'many different opinions and sometimes conflicting advise' from too many beeks.  Best to follow 'one' method, one system when learning.

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."
chux
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 08:55:50 AM »

I hived a cut out. Missed the queen but got several swarm cells (I believe the colony had swarmed just before I did the cutout, so there was no queen present) About two weeks after hiving the bees, I checked to see if the new queen had emerged , mated, and begun to lay. I saw her, but she had a mite on her back. For some reason, I had this impulse to protect my queen by removing the mite with my finger. When I touched her, off the queen flew, never to return. The colony tried to raise another queen, but numbers got too low for them to sustain waiting for her to hatch and lay. Kicked myself pretty good for that one.

wouldliketobee
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 10:52:46 PM »

My biggest mistake was to assume that my smoker went out on its own , I was  done and went home, I put smoker in my garage , and luckily came back two hours later to find my garage full of smoke and a sweatshirt smoldering. I never leave any thing in my smoker anymore unattended.
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 07:44:14 PM »

Using a vacuum on a hot day?

Not getting the lid sealed on a miller feeder.

Closing up a hive because of robbing and forgetting to open it until I discovered it a few days later.

Putting a queen in a cage in a queenless hive and forgetting to remove the cork.  Finding it months later... laying workers of course...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
edward
Queen Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 02:40:24 PM »

One more mistake early on was when I used White soft Styrofoam in my first hives.

The bees chewed it up into Little sand like dust particles that blew across the bottom board like snow drifts  grin

mvh Edward  tongue
matthewstiles
New Bee

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 04:07:34 PM »

My biggest first year mistake:

Didn't check well enough for the queen on a frame, set it on the ground next to the hive and went about my inspection.  After packing up to leave I noticed a large number of bees under the hive, sure enough there she was. Picked her up to drop her back into the hive and off she flew never to return!
pomicultorul
New Bee

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 03:14:10 AM »

I was bottomless on eleven hives wintering without problems and decided to cover the bottoms of the hives with some plastic sheets (!) in the spring 'to protect the spring brood from cold'.  I got moldy frames.

Also last year (my first year of beekeeping) I decided not to extract the honey as I go (one hive at a time) – the way most are doing it around here – for 24 hours I was to store the supers under an old blanket, some 50 feet away from the hives!  I remembered reading that you can send the bees back home by spraying them with water.  It was almost funny, for a while at least.  On the bright side, I did get some nice vegetation growth that side of the yard. 

(How about a success stories section, the get some egg of my face.  Five hives swarmed – I caught them alright – yet I went ahead with a planned walk-away split.  One hive did not make it but I still went up to 26 hives in one year - I did feed heavily.)
PeeVee
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 10:02:12 AM »

Returned home and a bit later (after a couple beers) walked over to the bee yard. For what ever reason proceeded to open the lid. #1 I don"t think the bees liked the black shirt I was still wearing (by the way, the shirt was open and a breeze was flapping it). #2 perhaps the bees didn't like the extra CO2 from the beer breath. In any event, I left in a hurry. Tried not to repeat that method of inspection.

-Paul VanSlyke - Cheers from Deposit,NY
GLOCK
House Bee

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 07:41:20 PM »

Cleaned some honey and wax up and put it in the  trash can buy the  house not smart in mid JULY looked like a Alfred  Hitchcock movie wife was not happy.
And never open feed in your nuc yard not healthy for the nucs . That's just a couple. it seems every year I make some kind of mistake I learn from.

Say hello to the bad guy.
9 nucs+8 DBL.deeps  {T} OVA  8 die outs this year so far.
D Semple
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 12:13:46 AM »

Had an early evening swarm call where the bees where wrapped around the trunk of a small tree about 3' off the ground. Because the ground was real uneven I used one of those hobby skunk ramp hive stands and a couple of bricks to level it up under the hive and did my best JP impersonating of scoping bees by the handful off the trunk and dropping them in the top of the hive and on the landing board. Got the bees marching in just beautiful, through the lid on, wrapped a ratchet strap around the hive and hive stand and left them to pick up after dark. Started raining so I left them to pick up the next morning. When I got there in the morning it was still raining pretty good and I didn't see any bees left on the tree or on the landing board so I quickly closed the entrance and grabbed the hive and hive stand by the strap and through them in the backseat of my pickup to keep them dry going down the highway. Noticed when I set the hive down on the seat a few loose bees but didn't think anything about it and got in and started driving. About 4 blocks down the road I get stopped behind buses in front of the grammar school unloading kids when I start hearing some buzzing. Well the level of buzzing quickly grows and I look over my shoulder and low and behold there are bees loose every where and they are taking flight. Turns out the swarm of bees was not in the hive but hanging off the bottom of the hive hidden by the hive stand. Well it doesn't take but about 10 seconds for the whole cotton picking swarm to take flight inside my pickup cab and not knowing what to do I throw my truck in reverse and make it about a hundred yards before I have to stop and bail out. Well the bees settled again in a nearby bush and I was able to get them caught an hour later but I sure looked the fool and have taken a lot of ribbing over the incident.

Don
Glen H
New Bee

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 07:53:19 AM »

Well it doesn't take but about 10 seconds for the whole cotton picking swarm to take flight inside my pickup cab and not knowing what to do I throw my truck in reverse and make it about a hundred yards before I have to stop and bail out. Well the bees settled again in a nearby bush and I was able to get them caught an hour later but I sure looked the fool and have taken a lot of ribbing over the incident.

Don

Wow!! Now that is a bee storey to remember.  Smiley LOL

Located in Zone 5b
D Coates
Queen Bee

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 11:32:44 AM »

Dang Don, that's a good one!  I've had a nuc fall over inside a Ford Expedition but listened to the voice in the back of my head for once and I'd strapped a top on.  They weren't amused but they were still in their box.  Bought a truck shortly after that because I knew I'd eventually get caught ignoring my little voice .

I harvested 15 or supers this Fall from one of my apiaries and put them in the back of said truck.  I thought I should strap them down but decided against it as I was only a couple miles from home.  Long story short I had to stop suddenly and watched the supers tipping forward.  Considered running the red light but saw and 18 wheeler entering the intersection at full tilt and full of gravel.  I took it like a white boxer and stopped, and watched the supers fall forward in the back of my truck.  Unfortunately they were so high and heavy they took out my back window in the process and one even fell into the back seat.  It didn't start leaking so I avoided the trifecta of stupid.  $700 (automatic tinted rear with defrost, Toyota Tundra)... could have been put to such better uses.

I've got to listen to the voice in the back of my head more often....

Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...
D Semple
House Bee

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 12:07:55 PM »

I took it like a white boxer and stopped, and watched the supers fall forward in the back of my truck.  Unfortunately they were so high and heavy they took out my back window in the process and one even fell into the back seat.  It didn't start leaking so I avoided the trifecta of stupid.  $700 (automatic tinted rear with defrost, Toyota Tundra)... could have been put to such better uses.

I've got to listen to the voice in the back of my head more often....

Remember you telling me about that one Drew, ouch hate those expensive lessons!

Great analogy, disasters seem like they happen in slow motion, but there is nothing you can do to stop them!
edward
Queen Bee

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 03:17:37 PM »

grin Brian drowning I dunno jaw drop lau need help rant shocked Sad grin

Tanks to all for sharing, may we all learn by outhers mistakes and not only our own  angel

Mvh Edward  tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next