Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 29, 2014, 05:33:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 50 Last Minute Ways to Prepare for a Disaster  (Read 519 times)
GSF
Queen Bee

« on: December 07, 2013, 07:00:30 PM »

I think these came from the book "Survival Mom" but I'm not sure. This started making it's way around the internet again so I thought I'd share. Pretty interesting thoughts, although I would add one thing, CASH!! If the electricity goes off for an extended period of time you find yourself in a "cash only" lifestyle.

1.Fill your gas tank.
2.Have a 72 hour kit for every person in your family.
3.You should have cash in your 72 hour kits because if electricity is out bank ATM’s won’t work.
4.Turn your fridge and freezer to a colder setting & if you lose power keep the doors closed as much as possible.
5.If you have extra space in your freezer, take containers or zip-loc bags full of water and fill in the extra space.
6.Charge all your electronic devices and keep them charged just in case you lose power.
7.Keep a list of emergency numbers handy, along with family members’ phone numbers. Write them down if you only have them stored in your phone.
8.Have an emergency escape plan from your home and make sure all family members know it and know where to meet.
9.Clean out your gutters before the storm comes and make sure that the storm drains on your street are clear from all the fall foliage.
10.Check your sump pumps.
11.Be ready to help your neighbors.
12.Get batteries.
13.Get a radio so you know what’s going on.
14.Board up your windows. Stay away from windows.
15.Have everyone one sleep in the same room so you can keep tabs on them.
16.Make a few meals and snacks that will last without power.
17.Make sure to have a non-electric can opener.
18.Have lots of non-perishables on hand.
19.Have enough food and litter for your pets.
20.Have an emergency binder with all important paperwork ready to go.
21.Have your prescriptions filled.
22.If you have a gas grill, make sure you have a full tank of propane.
23.Do your laundry now, so you have clothes that are dry and clean.
24.Make sure you have a car charger for your cell phone.
25.If you have a fireplace that you can use to cook in, have a supply of wood.
26.Check with your elderly and family to make sure they are prepared or invite them over.
27.Find your glasses so you don’t have to deal with contacts in an emergency.
28.You can use your water heater for extra water too. Just shut off the intake valve so that you aren’t bringing in contaminated water and use the spigot in the front to dispense water.
29.Fill up some quart and gallon bags with water and freeze them, you can use them for ice or in the cooler if needed.
30.Keep items you don’t want damaged by water in the dishwasher as it is waterproof.
31.Have glow sticks on hand for little ones, especially at bedtime.
32.32. Consider filling large containers (the big 40-gal Rubbermaid totes) from the tub spigot, and storing them in the tub. COVER all bins/tubs of water to keep kids and pets safe.
33.Get hand sanitizer and wet wipes to wash with.
34.Improvise an emergency toilet with a bucket lined with a bin bag and some sawdust or cat litter to cover the contents after each use.
35.Be careful of carbon monoxide when using gas heaters/stoves or candles.
36.Take pictures of every room and closet in your house – it makes a huge difference if you have to deal with insurance companies.
37.Have a rain barrel to collect water you can use to flush toilets.
38.Get solar outdoor lights, you can use olive oil in jars with wicks as well.
39.Pick up a solar phone charger then you will still have power for your cell phone.
40.If you have a good old fashioned plug in land line phone and socket this will serve you better than a cell phone.
41.Refill dish soap/laundry soap/ hand soap bottles back up slowly with water, you then have a easy bottles filled for light cleaning, and easy rinsing.
42.If you have to use a gas-powered generator, make sure to have a little extra fuel on hand; just be very careful where you put it, and be mindful of your local laws on how much you can have on hand at one time.
43.Don’t forget to pay attention to fire prevention measures. Have your extinguisher handy.
44.A chainsaw is good for clearing fallen trees. Only use one if you have prior experience. The aftermath of a storm is not the time to be learning how to use it.
45.Anyone with an oxygen tank – make certain you have 1) a travel tank, 2) a generator or means to operate your home device, 3) that you have notified health officials of your scheduled location during and after the hurricane.
46.Have books and other non electric entertainment like board games ready for everyone (and flashlights or lanterns for when it gets dark).
47.Have canning lids on hand so you can, can the meat if freezer defrosts. Use either the wood/coal stove or a gas range. Have the jars sterilized in the dishwasher ready.
48.Use silicon caulking to seal a stopper in the bathtub before filling it. LOCK the door as a safety measure for kids that may climb in.
49.Prepare an evacuation list of things you would need to grab in case you need to evacuate.
50.Turn OFF the TV! If you want to keep updated check for updates then turn it OFF. The constant hype will stress you and your children out.

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 07:15:22 PM »

really good ideas.  as much as we try to teach this, i am amazed at how often people are caught out.  even when they know something is coming at them, they are unprepared.

thanks for posting this.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 01:56:06 AM »

Yeah good list. 

We had a strong storm blow through Mich a couple of weeks ago.  Knocked out power here for 3 to 4 days.  Power loss up here this time of year makes HEAT your number one priority!  It doesn’t take long for a house to drop from 70F to 30F when it’s 15 outside.  It would be wise before hand to know which exterior circuit to backfeed from your generator to power your furnace.  Also don’t let the propane drop too low.

And if you're a beek, make sure all your hives are righted and the tops are secured! applause
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 06:25:17 AM »

Very good list!  applause   Although I'm not clear on the 'boarding up windows' advise.  Shouldn't we leave some rifle ports opened? grin

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 07:09:44 AM »

I'm also conflicted (not a disagreement) with the CASH part, unless we're talking about its use as toilet paper  Undecided ……when (if) the world comes crashing down in disaster. 

Perhaps we should discuss the many different types of disasters that could be looming in our future?  There are more than a few.

GSF
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 09:15:21 PM »

Yeah T Beek, I see your point. I was mainly thinking about things like Hurricanes. However if TEOTWAWKI or RWOL takes place the value of money will have a very short shelf life.

Cash is good to hedge yourself against bank runs or an extended period of time without electricity like with H. Sandy.

John Wayne
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 02:42:17 AM »

Very good list!  applause   Although I'm not clear on the 'boarding up windows' advise.  Shouldn't we leave some rifle ports opened? grin
LOL.  I think that's a given with this crew  laugh
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 02:47:03 AM »

I'm also conflicted (not a disagreement) with the CASH part
I think GSF meant to say have a bunch of BITCOINS on hand. laugh  The new global currency that can't be printed (and destroyed) by government printing presses. cool  Probably something on every beeks Christmas list  Smiley
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 03:10:48 AM »

Perhaps we should discuss the many different types of disasters that could be looming in our future?  There are more than a few.
Good question:  

I don’t fear the everyday stuff the conservatives are so obsessed about.  I figure what will take us out will be something more or less unexpected.  Top candidates would be something biological like a virus or antibiotic resistance bacteria.  One never knows when the next super volcano (like Yellowstone) and lay waste to the Earth for thousands of years.  Some disruption in our food supply; virus, drought, cold, what have you.  I seem to recall some concern about the Earth's magnetic field growing weak.  Maybe ET will find us and wipe us out!  
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 03:49:11 AM »

Or all of our satellites become inoperable and obsolete.  I guess that's my own particular fantasy  Wink  laugh

GSF
Queen Bee

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 05:56:50 AM »

A very well thought out constructed home will already have gun portals.

lau

John Wayne
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 07:46:53 AM »

A very well thought out constructed home will already have gun portals.

lau

Agreed;  I designed our current home during Reagans first term.  It had gun portals.  My wife was not impressed  laugh

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next