Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 21, 2014, 04:09:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beehive Orientation - important?  (Read 1136 times)
ziffabeek
House Bee

« on: December 06, 2013, 10:48:05 AM »

Hello,

I have recently heard the opinion that a beehive should be oriented with the entrance facing Southeast.  I have never heard this before.   I believe that hives should be in as much sun as possible, but hadn't considered orientation. 

Has anyone else heard of this?  Do you consider orientation when placing hives?

Thanks.

love,
ziffa
D Coates
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 10:56:52 AM »

I face them whatever way is convenient for me and that's in full sun, has a clear flight path, is out of a flood plain, has firm land to drive on at all times, and not in easy public view.  I put them in inward facing "U" clusters of 5 or outward facing clusters of 4 on pallets.  I've heard what you refer to a time or 2 but after watching others and learning from my own experience I don't follow it.

Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...
Moots
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 11:00:43 AM »

ziffa,
Yes, I've heard this, I've always heard that facing South, or East are preferrable, I think that's because of them getting the morning Sun.  I think the one thing most people try to avoid is facing them North because of the wind and winter issues.  

I started with mine facing South, added a few more hives and put those facing East, and had a couple more late addtions that I ended up facing North...I'll probably try to reshuffle everything come spring, in the mean time I've  just put a wind block in front of the two Northern facing hives.  

Hope you and your bees are doing well!  Smiley

Along the lines of what Coates is saying...I'm not convinced it really is that big of an issue, but I do think avoiding facing them North probably has some merit.  If I rearrange, I'll probably end up with half facing East and  half west, just because I think that will be the best layout for where I have my bees.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 12:45:16 PM by Moots » Logged

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
                                                                                                                   - Ronald Reagan
charlie b
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 11:54:05 AM »

I've heard the same. SE. Here's why I am setting mine that way. Up here by Lake Superior, we have a lot of North Easterly's. Great winds off Lake Superior. In the summer, winds from the SW. Also, you get maximum morning sun facing them SE. For what it's worth....

10framer
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 11:59:37 AM »

i would think that the farther north you go the more important it would be to do it.  
Vance G
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 12:58:18 PM »

I never face mine south or west in the winter because that is where the really strong winds come from.  The cold winds come out of the North so mine face east and any in the same place year round always face that way.  It is local like most of the rest. 
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 05:14:27 PM »

The sooner the sun hits the entrance, the sooner they go to work. They all will quit work at the same time. That means south or east facing gives them more work hours, meaning more honey. In winter, they should have the prevailing winds coming from their back.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 05:14:41 PM »

i can't put mine with the entrance to the east because that's where we get our nasty winter wind.  my entrances are west.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
edward
Queen Bee

FEED ME HONEY or I`ll smash your screen !

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 08:11:21 PM »

In my opinion it doesn't matter.

Place them out of all winds in Lee

Place them where the morning mist dissipates early

Do not Place them in dips in the terrain where Cold air collects

If you want to turn nice kind gentel bees into murderous evil killer bees do the opposite of these things I recommend grin

mvh Edward
sawdstmakr
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 09:12:37 PM »

I face mine to the south. I place swarm traps facing south. My OB hive is on a turn stile and I keep it in a a north south orientation. I read that feral hives tend to prefer sites with a south facing entrance. That is why I face them south.
Jim
ziffabeek
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 12:39:44 PM »

Thanks for the replies all!  Your answers confirm what I was thinking - like everything else in beekeeping ,  it is site specific. Smiley

Mine face east and south, some for the prevailing wind and some because that's just how our back yard is oriented to make the most sense for flight paths and the most sun.

I appreciate the back-up in case it comes up in a project I'm working on.

Happy Holidays everyone and thanks again.

Best regards,

ziffa
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next