Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 20, 2014, 04:52:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 9 Years wasted! :-(  (Read 1163 times)
Moots
Queen Bee

« on: December 03, 2013, 08:47:42 PM »

Digging through some old pictures today and came across this one from March of 2004 snapped in my front yard....First and only swarm i ever saw before getting heavily involved in the hobby this year.

They were probably about 15 feet, I called around but the Beekeeper I found was obviously ladder averse.   laugh  He advise me just to leave them alone and they'd go away, which they did.

If only I had known then what I know now... grin

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
                                                                                                                   - Ronald Reagan
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 09:17:02 PM »

that's funny.   grin  you must not have been ready.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 09:18:56 PM »

Man, that's pretty. Looks like they are covering a flower pot or something.

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
Moots
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 09:38:04 PM »

Kathy,
I was so clueless as to what I was witnessing, "funny" doesn't even begin to describe it.  laugh

GSF,
While I was clueless, I do remember being quite impressed with the whole ordeal...And as swarms go, in hindsight, it was a pretty darn nice one!   Smiley

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
                                                                                                                   - Ronald Reagan
Joe D
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 09:50:52 PM »

There was two big swarms this year that got away.  One flew off when I was about 15 yards from them, the other was in the top of a pine tree.      But we can't complain over what we didn't do or catch, just chalk it up to
wasn't meant to bee.  And catch the next one.   Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe
bernsad
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 09:58:22 PM »

Funny, I had a somewhat similar experience some years back too. I had a swarm move in and establish underneath the cover on the bbq, I just hit them with the fly spray until they didn't respond anymore. I kind of regret doing it now embarassed, but I hadn't considered beekeeping back then.
JPinMO
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 10:01:15 PM »

Talk about 'the one that got away'!

Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either. – Albert Einstein
JanO
New Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 10:07:45 AM »

Yesterday my husband and I were discussing our plans for the spring, equipment that we need to purchase or build, what our goals are, etc., and he suddenly said, "I wish we had started this years ago."  We've been on our property 8 years and we are just now beginning our bee adventure.  But what makes it worse is that we have had at least 2 swarms come through every year and land in the same tree.  If we knew then, what we know now we would have easily collected them and been in business. 

Oh well, better late than never.   Undecided
merince
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 10:53:39 AM »

Nice swarm!

However, I have found out that everything happens for a reason  grin

GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 08:44:20 PM »

JanO, at least you know where to put a swarm trap.

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
edward
Queen Bee

FEED ME HONEY or I`ll smash your screen !

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 06:03:52 AM »

Maybee that swarm was there to plant a seed in your mind.

It took a little while to germinate  Wink

mvh Edward  tongue
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 06:13:28 AM »

Its only wasted time if you've learned nothing or done nothing. 

Obviously you have learned and done many things over those years, no?

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."
itsme
House Bee

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 08:51:13 AM »

Probably about the same time you saw these bees, maybe a little earlier, I had a subcontractor doing some work on a scaffold in an four unit apartment building.  He kept getting stung be bees to the point where something had to be done so he could continue.

We knew the bees were in the attic.  I tried to find people to come and help us to no avail.  That sort of amazes me now that I know what I have learned in the past year about bees and beekeepers.  I never thought to seek out a beekeeping association and locate someone who would come and capture the hive.  The owner's son-in-law finally went up into the attic after dark and killed the entire hive with spray.  I never took a look and didn't ask him how large the hive was.

It hurts me to think of that now.  We just didn't know any better.   
JanO
New Bee

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 11:05:59 PM »

JanO, at least you know where to put a swarm trap.

Oh, that's for sure.  Smiley  I'll be putting a trap in that tree before the end of March. 
Variable
House Bee

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 03:01:29 PM »

Mothers-day weekend last May (2013) was when I saw my first swarm (at least since I was a young child and my dad kept bees) It sparked my whole interest in keeping bees. Couple that experience with what I had heard about the recent plight of the honey bees on the news and interwebs..... here I am now.  Can't wait till spring!!!!

What prompted you to start keeping bees, if you do not mind me asking?

I want to beelieve.
WA Apiary ID WA14-077
3 Langstroth Medium hives, 1 nuc.
See data on one hive at http://twolittleladiesapiary.com/hivedata.php
https://www.facebook.com/twolittleladiesapiary
Moots
Queen Bee

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 05:03:34 PM »

What prompted you to start keeping bees, if you do not mind me asking?

Variable,
Don't mind at all, kind of  funny/strange the way it actually came about.

In the closing days of October last year, I was playing on Facebook and had jumped into a political discussion on the page of a good friend of mines wife.    One of her friends, some guy i didn't even know, and I were having a pretty good back and forth, and not quite seeing eye to eye.   grin

So at some point, I remember thinking, "let me see who this clown is..."  Smiley, So I clicked on over to his Facebook page.  And there it was, some photos of him and his wife doing their honey harvest.

I can't really explain it, but at that moment, within seconds, it hit me like a ton of bricks...Kind of a cross between, "I bet that would be interesting" and "I think I'm going to do that".  laugh

Figured it might be a great hobby for me and my little nephew that lives right next door, he and his step dad had done a number of animal related hobbies which he enjoyed....(chickens, ducks, goats, etc.)

So, within minutes, wanting to run the idea by my brother in law, before mentioning it to my nephew, I shot him a text floating the idea, to which he was fully supportive. 

At that point, I started researching bees heavily, In addition to the internet and local bee clubs, I decided to travel about 5 hours to attend the State Beekeepers annual convention which was  November 30th and December 1st of that year.  On December 2nd, I was back home and at Home Depot buying boards to start building my boxes.  By January 15th, I was the proud owner of two Nucs.

And as they say, the rest is history.....                                                                                                                                 

- Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next