Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mold  (Read 1712 times)

Offline DBoire

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 86
Mold
« on: February 23, 2006, 04:13:01 PM »
I have stored medium and shallow supers in plastice bag with moth control crystals.  Some frames have a light coating of mold on them.  What is the sugested action to take on the "infected" frames?  Expose them to sun? Finsky,... what do you think?

Offline Robo

  • Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • *******
  • Posts: 6468
  • Gender: Male
  • Beekeep On!
    • Robo's World
Mold
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 04:44:21 PM »
Air them out good, then let the bees clean them.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison



Offline Finsky

  • Super Bee
  • *****
  • Posts: 2791
  • Gender: Male
Re: Mold
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 04:44:43 PM »
Quote from: DBoire
Finsky,... what do you think?


I may dry them in sun a while. If mould affect long time it spoil the cell  wax.

Mold spoil every winter some new combs in hives. They are usually nearest to wall. If cell structure are partly spoiled I crush cell walls in cold weather and it is easy to take spoiled wax away. I clean cell walls away and I look if foundation is ok.  If frame is bad I consider if it easier to bees build new foudation.  

Bees have ability to break away spoiled wax. You se when you put frame into hive. It their normal life but you may help them.

Offline DBoire

  • House Bee
  • **
  • Posts: 86
Thanks.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 10:18:09 AM »
Thanks Robo, Finsky,  Glad to hear I was on the correct track.