Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New In Western NC  (Read 896 times)

Offline shinjak

• New Bee
New In Western NC
« on: November 20, 2013, 12:13:13 PM »
I've been wanting to keep bees for several years, but I've always too intimidated mainly by the overwhelming amount of information available and the high cost of starting. But I've finally discovered a more economical method of getting into beekeeping (mainly by building my own hive) and hope to start this journey in the spring.

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Re: New In Western NC
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 01:23:02 PM »
Welcome to Beekeeping and the Forum.  :cheer:

You might try looking for a local beekeeping club that also has a mentor program for some one on one help. Otherwise feel free to ask and questions you have (relating to beekeeping) of the forum, someone here is bound to be able to answer your questions.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.

Offline Moots

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 01:51:15 PM »
I've been wanting to keep bees for several years, but I've always too intimidated mainly by the overwhelming amount of information available and the high cost of starting. But I've finally discovered a more economical method of getting into beekeeping (mainly by building my own hive) and hope to start this journey in the spring.

shinjak,
Welcome to the forum...Not to steal NIKE's tag line, but JUST DO IT!  :-D

Fair warning..Beekeeping in addictive!  :)
"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
                                                                                                                   - Ronald Reagan

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 02:00:54 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Shinjak.  If you join a local club, someone there may sell you some bees cheaper or help you catch a swarm.  Good luck on your new adventure.

Joe

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 08:17:55 AM »
Welcome to the group.

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 01:48:44 AM »
Welcome, Shinjak.
Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either. – Albert Einstein

Offline shinjak

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 05:31:56 PM »
Thanks for the welcome everyone. To be honest, I've done some serious research on swarm traps, trapping, and bee hunting. I'm not sure my first experience with bees should be removing them from a swarm trap though.  :? So I'm hoping to get up with some local beekeepers before swarm season to get my toes wet. As far as hives, frameless seems like the best option for me so I'm currently studying the pros and cons of vertical top bar hives vs. horizontal top bars. I can build both cheaply so I may just try both. Thanks again.

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 06:58:16 PM »
Western NC is a large area, but it would cost gas only to visit Brushy Mountain bee supply, Miller bee supply, Reel bee supply, and Orr bee supply. All within a few miles of you, and all full of info.  Also, you have a very good queen breeder in canton. If you don't know him, I can look him up.

Put your city or the nearest town in your profile and you will get better info
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline GSF

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 06:17:08 AM »
Welcome
"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne