Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 28, 2014, 02:36:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first time showing my Glock 19  (Read 1979 times)
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« on: November 12, 2013, 01:07:23 PM »

Hi gang,

Just realized it's been a few weeks since I purchased my Glock 19, and I've shown no pictures of it nor made any videos of me demonstrating the gun. So I thought it time to show the gun and show off my first homemade case insert to hold the gun, Two additional magazines, and the UpLula magazine loader – the magazine loader is so cool and handy to have what a wonderful tool to use at the range and anywhere.

This case insert that I show below, came to me after realizing that clock does not have any Way to keep your items in the case from banging around prattling smacking each other, etc.

So as much as I hate rattles, in a car ride rather have 1000 rattles then one, I decided to search out and find some spare material to make a way to insert those items into the case and an attractive and of course utilitarian way.

Going back to last Monday, my wife and I had the day off and out of no where she asked what time is the shooting range open? This knocked me back some, she knew I wanted to both shoot a hundred or so rounds in to my G19/4 and also have HER go shooting for the first time ever. I mentioned it last week that I wanted to accomplish both goals, and I was surprised at her bringing it up on Monday.

So I called to find the best time for having a smaller crowd, not sure how jumpy she'd be around 12 shooting bays at firing. I had a walk-on coupon from when I bought the gun and they let my wife shoot for free - all we paid for was $4 for 10 targets.

I let her know on the way there that I was going to shoot at least 60 rounds (4 mags) to see if we had any hang-ups and then I'd step back and let her at it. I bought a brass charging ring to help her pull back the slide, that 043 spring sure is stiff and she couldn't get it back enough to have it feed properly - with the ring, she does well.

So I had a mag of Hornady 115grn. Critical Defense (this is what I want to keep loaded for home protection) and I bought a week ago 1000 rounds American Eagle 147 FP - my choice for breaking in the gun. I went through three mags of the 147 which ran flawlessly and put the mag in with 8 rounds of 115grn. It hung up racking it, but about 5 clean shots, then nother load failure - so I waited until my wife finished and I also shot another 3 mags before attempting the Hornady 115 CD cartridges.

So, my wife got in stance to shoot and nailed the paper every time - giving a great group at 7yrds a bit low and right of the center - I was amazed at how tight the cluster was, so her shooting was great, she just needs to work on her aim a hair and move that group hit center mass. I was happy she wasn't all over the place, but she shot 10 shots, 8 were within a 3 inch circle and the others with 5 inches of those - wow. We do need to work on her grip a bit, no limp wristed shots, she just needs to involve her left hand into the grip a bit better.

I then took back over, completely satisfied at how great she did, and I took another bunch of H-115 and randomly mixed it in a full mag with the American Eagle 147 - I had no hang-ups and think the gun will break-in and accept them better when hand racked. So about 120 rounds total, 3 fail to feed, but again the Critical Defense is basically a hollow point with what looks like Crayon in it - lol. There were no fail issues with the AE147 ammo.

I got home and just mixed about 6 H-115 in random with the AE147 and it did hang up a bit the first mag I racked in and out the rounds, I hand one hang up - and I know a good chance the problem might be my release of the charging ring compared to grabbing the serrations directly and release. I'm not "walking" the slide back at all, I know a quick pull and release lets the gun do all the work.

So, for now, for home defense I've got loaded the AE147 - I'll give the H115 another try next time at the range. When we left the range, we talked about everything we did, she was very positive about shooting "and in two weeks or so" I can buy another handgun (30 days between purchase of handguns in NJ) and I want her to pick out a revolver she likes. I want the second gun to be hers, and of course I want it to have a good DA trigger that she can pull with no troubles. I believe we'll be getting a 22lr revolver for economic sense to keep ammo affordable and spend more range time whether with her or alone.

I always like the theory of shooting a good amount of 22s (100-200) to warm up, get acclimated, just get some range time in (since you pay for an hour, might as well use it) and then break out the 9mm and may shoot a box of 50 of them - leaving the range quite satisfied.

It was a great day, we went out to dinner that night, but by state law we had to take the gun and ammo home first - you cannot stop for dinner in NJ even if everything is safely stowed and locked in your trunk. So sadly, the restaurant we wanted to go to was only 2 miles from the shooting range, but we had to drive ten miles home and NJ traffic is always terrible - we put away the stuff and went to an Applebees just a mile away. We might have gone back to the place near the gunrange, but I had to work 16 hours that night and needed at least an hour or so nap.

I love the G19, sweet gun, great grip (I put on the small beavertail which looks cool and does what a beavertail is supposed to do) and I switched the mag drop release to the opposite side cause I'm a lefty. That's all I think I'll do for now to it. I'm thinking about an Olight offset mount for a flash light - I have some pretty powerful 1 inch diameter 9 LED flashlights - very cheap in price, but lights up my house very well with no lights on. The only other thing, Santa might bring me night sites for Christmas, we'll see about that one  Can wait to go shooting again.

Just a quick note, some of the above I copied from the Glock Pro forum where I posted much of the above message. I just cant imagine saying it any better the second time around so I want you all to read it as I originally wrote it roughly a week ago.

So without further DeLay, here are several pictures of the insert I made to hold the four separate items notice the third magazine that comes with the Glock is inserted in the gun the other two at the top and the magazine loader on the bottom left. The material I used was a black and yellow foam pad that I found in the garbage at work. I'll also include photos of me tracing the various items cutting out the original paper and showing off the insert away from the gun case to show you how it looks before and after.

The black color of the insert was fairly marred and had like maybe a discoloration to it, so I took a sharpie marker and went over it several times gives it a brand-new look very shiny and is not smear at all, it was sort of the perfect way to finish off this insert and make it look as if it was factory made.

So I'm off today from work start 4 to 12's tomorrow night, and I might head out to the shooting range to put another hundred holes into some targets. Also I have our target sheets I keep and collect them mark them with date stamp those along with yardage of course and I was very proud of Tracey - she hit the target at 7 yards every time as well as at 10 yards.

Her groupings were all good very few strays if any they may not of been centered in the target but you could cover up all the shots on the target sheet with the palm of your hand, and for her first time shooting anything I'm extremely proud of how well she handled the gun and how well she shot it.

Tracey, who has never been a fan of loud noise handled the gun range very good, she was not jumpy at all even though we had some serious supersonic ammo being shot, and also a rifle at the further end of the 12 lanes, she was focused, had a great grip on the gun, handled the recoil extremely well and I can't be more proud of how well she did. We covered everything I could think of with dry fire drills quite a few Times at home, and told her I would handle any failure to feed etc.

On the drive home, we spoke about the experience and she was very comfortable shooting she said and more importantly she does look forward to going again. I don't think I can ask for anything more!

Here are the pictures from the gun insert that I built for my Glock case, and in a follow-up post or later in this one I'll include the target sheets just let you know how we did.

So this is my first project, and take a look at the lettering on the gun the 9 x 19, the Glock logo etc. all those are painted on with nail polish and removed with a non-acetone cleaner, I thought it was sharp looking in the photographs I saw, so I embossed those on the gun, and on the magazines too.

So, what do you think? The only other things I did with the Glock was reverse the magazine drop to the right side since I am left-handed, and two I added the smaller Beavertail back straps. I also purchased a brass charging ring to aid Tracey to charge the Glock when necessary,  her hand strength does not grab the serrations tightly enough, especially being the new spring that the Glock generation for as, it does require some and strength to rack the slide and the charging ring makes a huge difference for her to be able to fully handle that without my assistance.

So I hope I've caught all of you up-to-date to where we are, I've put 120 cartridges through the gun so far and only had an issue or so with the Critical defense ammo. Note: I have hand racked a dozen or so of the critical defense ammo through the gun and it clears it every time now so the gun is on its way to being broken in well.

I know Hand racking ammo like that may not be great practice, but I wanted to make sure that it would load into chamber without issue and I would like to use that Hornady as my home defense ammo, rather than the 147 grain American Eagle which I want to continue to use for breaking purposes at the gun range and also it is sub sonic so it's quieter to shoot either way very comfortable, the recoil on the Glock 19 is very manageable and I just love this gun, I knew after four or five months of studying while waiting for my license that I had narrowed it down to a few models and the Glock 19 was the  handgun that all others would have to equal or surpass. I had many in my hand and I shot a few, but I knew after shooting the 19 that it was the clear winner for me.

When I first started looking online, seeing videos and reading reviews, I looked it ambidextrous handguns and just found it most, if not all just had their redundant features get in the way with one hand or the other, so it was either me to get used to the right-handed world of guns or to put that big safety between my ears into use and the Glock definitely met those requirements very well. All the external safeties in the world do you no good if they just get in the way when you need to shoot your gun.

Well, this post went a long time further than I thought it would. But voice dictation and doing some minor correction before posting (hopefully I got everything corrected) and I hope you enjoy this post. Again, thanks for everyone's input and I truly believe this was the best handgun I could've got for our needs.

I left out that in roughly 2 weeks from now I can buy my second gun, it will be a revolver, it will be a 22. The likely choice right now is the Ruger LCR. I just want something that Tracey can handle easily and if there are misfires you just keep on pulling the trigger.

I sort of knew from the beginning that a revolver would be the second gun, had thought about keeping it in the same caliber but realize that I need something more affordable on ammo and something that much better meets meets the needs of my wife and a double action only, and no fears of hang ups in the gun gives great peace of mind to just point and keep pulling the trigger until whatever is necessary is done.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Vance G
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 02:00:25 PM »

For a revolver, look at the five shot .38.  My 2 inch barrel pocket gun shoots like pointing my finger and I reload it cheaper than shooting a .22  I just have to cast my own bullets from wheelweights.  Most gunfights are within 11 feet and at 25 feet, I can consistently shoot six inch groups aimed double action.  If I want a scattergun like your glock I would just use my model 12 pump shotgun.  I can put 63 projectiles down the hall in three seconds. 
Moots
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 02:26:47 PM »

So, what do you think? The only other things I did with the Glock was reverse the magazine drop to the right side since I am left-handed, and two I added the smaller Beavertail back straps. I also purchased a brass charging ring to aid Tracey to charge the Glock when necessary,  her hand strength does not grab the serrations tightly enough, especially being the new spring that the Glock generation for as, it does require some and strength to rack the slide and the charging ring makes a huge difference for her to be able to fully handle that without my assistance.

** emphasis added

Congratulations....I know it's been a journey! 

Just curious, has Tracey tried a proper hand over technique?  I know most peoples tendency is to try and squeeze the slide with nothing but their thumb on one side, getting the slide between all four fingers and your palm and using a push/pull technique makes a huge difference. 

Here's a
LINK of someone using this technique at about the 12 second mark.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
                                                                                                                   - Ronald Reagan
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 02:54:51 PM »

the slide thing is a problem for lots of people with smallish hands or not a lot of hand strength.  .45 was the one that got me when it was new.  i was afraid i'd have to hold it between my knees or something to rack that thing  evil  a few 100 rounds later and it's fine.

glad she's liking it.  most folks do once they get over the fear they have developed. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
OldMech
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 04:44:27 PM »

Good call Moots! That may be of help.. I should have thought of that......

a .22 revolver?  I have had a few.. I had a ruger bearcat with the .22 LR and .22 mag cylinders I carried when coon hunting.. nicely accurate and fun little gun.. I have had several others..  one was a nine shot revolver but couldnt hit the side of a barn at fifteen feet with that one.. I ended up relining the barrel to make it shoot...   
   After getting my first MK II I gave up the revolvers as far as practice and plinking..  take too long to reload and not enough shots.. I kept the bearcat and still use it once in a while following the houds, but the Mk III goes with me for squirrel and rabbit. I have never done anything to ramp or slide and it feeds flawlessly with any LONG rifle ammo.. obviously shorts dont cycle it well.. an advantage the revolver does have..   the MK III has been the most faithful handgun i have ever owned bar none. I often use it in local shoots.. you know the ones.. hit the egg at 100 yards?   normally we get five shots...  If I dont get it on the first shot I do on the second.. only once in thirteen years did it take me three shots.  I was banned from using THAT gun in the competition two years ago..     last year I showed up with my custom bull barrel 10 22 and got it with one shot...  at which point I declined the prize.. which was a REALLY nice shrade skinning knife and didnt try to compete this year...  it seems that it has evolved to a kids competition.. I can only assume because dad doesnt like missing....   laugh   anyhow.. back to the point..   I think you will like the revolver, have fun with it.. but eventually you will want something more..

The Glock looks nice! Well done!

39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 12:37:41 PM »

Thanks all:

About the case insert, I didn't have the insert pushed down all the way in the rear right-side, the mag looked to be too low, but it lays flat and all items are level and nicely snug. I'm thinking about a few relief cuts to allow me to place my finger in to easier retrieve each item, but it surely isn't necessary. I am going to make another one, using all the same template layouts and see how that looks also. Since I have the material and some breaks at work to do this, I think I'll use a jig-saw to do the cutting this time, just to see how that works. I have a fine blade and I think the job could look very clean when finished.

About casting my own bullets, I don't see myself getting into reloading for several reason, gathering spent casings is a no-no at the range, and from everything I've read - you typically end up with the same cost per round, minus the fact that you can shoot a lot more. I'll stick to Gunbroker auctions, as I did with these cartridges ( a case of 1000 American Eagle 147gr. flat point) which I ordered on a Tuesday evening and received before noon on that Thursday. From West Virginia to NJ in thirty some hours and a shipping cost of $8 for 24 pounds of ammo was a great deal.

About the .22, and about a revolver. I know having to reload so often (8 rounds with the Ruger LCR) and rarely 10 or more, reloading is a PITA - but I weigh all factors and I priced .38 and saw prices from $0.60 to $1.00+ per round - which is not going to fly for our budget. Ammo is still at a premium price and getting CCI Mini-mags at $12 a hundred is the best I see without dragging out auctions and hopefully getting lucky. I like a fair price BUY NOW price on ammo (as well as guns) but guns I like to catch that rare auction that seemed to miss the radar of many buyers - I've seen the Glock 19 gen 4 sell at a non-reserve auction for $460 - this was before I had my license, but I should have bought it and had my FFL dealer hold it for me until my license came through.

So, I love shooting my Glock, love it. My wife really enjoys it too - I'm still a bit surprised about that, but I'm very happy it is so. Now, to get her a gun that 1) won't jam, 2) is easy to load, 3) is literally point and shoot, 4) you don't have to worry about mis-fires, just shoot the next round in the cylinder, 5) is a third the price of the Glock to shoot, 6) is a double action or DA/SA: all these seem like good things to encourage Tracey to go to the range with me. We can swap out booths and fire each gun and both get practice on each weapon. I don't see any down sides.

The BIG TEST of course is having her fire whatever .22s we wish to test-drive. I know the Ruger SP101 is a sweet looking old-school revolver, but the hammer pull is said to be rediculous and the DA pull not exactly a walk in the park for weak handed shooters either. I know we see 10lb pull (as an example) but the is a definite difference in every 10lb. pull double action guns. Some are gritty, some sloppy, others uniform and a pleasure to shoot.

I want her to make the decision based on how well she can fire the gun, how well it fits, over-all how well she rates the whole package. Tracey really likes the idea of just forgetting about that bum round that didn't fire and keep pulling the trigger. She also knows the DA/SA gives her the opportunity to get better control when shooting if she can bleep the hammer - something she may do at the range more that in a home defense way, but that all comes with practice and of course MUSCLE MEMORY.

So when we get to sit down together and watch review videos, we take notes, score the revolvers and then we'll go to the gun-shop and get hands-on for feel and fire.

I took the advice from the forum here than a revolver SHOULD be a part of your own arsenal of weapons (in my case I only have 1 gun and 1 available pistol permit left) it is time though to apply for the max of 3 pistol permits, which will set me back a whopping $6. The best part, I'll be in no hurry to get them - being a home with defensive arms is a peaceful feeling, one that I never knew before. And I'll apply for the max 3 handgun permits, not even knowing if I'll buy any more handguns. But I'll have the option to if something catches my or Tracey's attention.

The best part of our learning about handguns is that we did much of the studying together. I surely have many many hours more of video watching and forum posts than she, but Tracey has learned a lot and gone from "I don't want a gun in this house" to "Let's got to the range!" what a 180 degree turn in 6 months. We all know that her reasoning was ramped-up by 7 days of darkness after hurricane Sandy and an incident at the door where a big young man would have walked in our house if the doors weren't locked. She now feels that the odds of her protecting herself sky-rocketed after we purchased the Glock. We have a when SHTF plan that buys us as much time as possible, to get to the gun and in a safe position and even a very good back-up plan. The most important part of that was we worked out the bugs of our "safe places" together and even what to do if separate in opposite ends of the house.

So, as soon as I get off 4-12 shifts (I start tonight) then we spend an hour or so a day choosing the revolver and then have something to do other than shoot paper when we go to the range.

Speaking of work, time to get ready - talk again later Smiley

Follow us on TWITTER

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 06:51:19 PM »

reloading is a PITA

get speed loaders.  if you and your wife are shooting together, one can be filling the loaders while the other shoots.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
OldMech
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 09:44:32 AM »

Sounds awesome.. and apparently your doing your homework, I am glad its all coming together for you!!!!!
  I agree with your assessment of reloading.. I Used the excuse with my wife that it would cost less...  YES, it does cost less, but I DO shoot SO MUCH more that it ends up costing the same, or more!!!   Reloading is enjoyable though,, it adds another element to shooting..   playing with powder charge, primer type, crimp force, and bullet weight and shape to get the most accuracy you can out of a specific gun... but then, I am talking mostly about rifles at LONG range, not handguns at a dozen feet.

The only thing I have difficulty with... is the permit and limit you deal with...   you can apply for, and own a max of THREE handguns?

what purpose does that serve?  This is where the roll your eyes part starts.. so those of you who do not like Drama please go to a different post.

If I want a handgun when I see it... I buy it...  there is NO authority going to tell me I cannot.. now, or ever...
    Actually we dont own many, dont NEED many...  BUT...  often when i buy one it is to see if I like it better than one I have... if I do like it better, I sell a different one..  thats sort of the entire point... buy, try, play, and sell to get a new one to play with......    I have had several 44 mag and .50 AE Desert Eagles...     The first one I ever owned was deadly accurate, (.50AE) and I loved it.. but I got offered too much money for it and sold it... I regret selling it.. and have been looking for another equally as accurate.. I havent found one yet, but am enjoying trying.
   I once had a .44 mag stainless Blackhawk that could hit a soda can at 100 yards 4 out of 5 shots... I also sold that, and regret it.. when I see one similar, I buy and try.. then it gets sold again because its nowhere near as accurate...   NO!!!! It has NOTHING to do with my eyes or me getting much older so hush!!!
     restricting you to three... I do not get the concept or the reason.....   It would be like telling people that they can only own a car that gets 50mpg and it cant have over 200 HP, OH, and it has to be lime green.....  So what do you do? You have to SELL one of your guns before you can buy a different one to try it and see if it is more to your likes?
     ANyhow.. climbing off the pedestal now.. glad you are enjoying!!!!!!!   Be Safe!

39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 01:31:11 PM »

Kathy:

I pictured my Uplula speed loader in my case modification photos - that was bought BEFORE I bought my 1000 rounds of ammo. I had loaded a few mags by hand both at the gunshop (with snapcaps) and at home by hand and I think it the biggest waste of time, and not fun with a new mag spring.

The Uplula can load 15 rounds effortlessly in my mags in 15 seconds. It was on sale at Amazon for $22 about 30% off and I jumped on it. I had seen it used in many videos and although the loader that comes with the Glock is okay, it is not in the same league as the Uplula.

Follow us on TWITTER

JPBEEGETTER
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 11:59:07 AM »

Good luck with the 19,welcome to the Glock family, I have a Gen3, 27 .40 and love it. I also purchased a three pack of the 22 round mags. had 3- 9 rnd. mags, )with the pierce extensions),  but decided to get some higher cap mags.  On the 22 revolver, may be ok for plinking , but try a S&W .38 spec. I think she would like it better . I have S&W .38 spec 5 shot mod. 36 chief special and for a night- stand home weapon , can't beat it for a lady. I also have a Colt outside hammer .25 auto. Good lady piece not much recoil, but will scare heck out of intruder. also have bought S&W bodyguard .380. with 3- 10 rnd. mags for concealed carry. Just not much of a .22 fan
except for the long barrel target piece.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 11:54:56 PM »

I meant for your revolver if you get one.  wink

Alexis de Tocqueville
tefer2
Super Bee

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 08:37:52 AM »

We found that a J frame SW 642 was the gun that worked the best for my wife.
Just grab it and start pulling the trigger. No safety or hammer to get in the way.
Now I just need to find some of those pink grips for her!  Jerry
I liked it so much that I bought a 442 SW to pocket carry for my self.
I was surprised that it hides so well in variety of dress.
I prefer a piece that won't go off when it's close to my privates.  grin
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 10:15:53 PM »

Well 31 days has passed and then some, so I finally ordered a revolver. The one I finally chose was the Ruger SP 101 22 LR. A sharp looking 22 Long rifle that holds 8 Rounds, has a 4 inch plus barrel and is ideal for for plinking at the range and not having to shoot as much 9 mm with the Glock as I currently do.

This gives my wife and me both a chance to have equal time at putting holes in paper. It's not exactly the bowling we used to enjoy, but it's more fitting to our lifestyle today. Pretty sweet looking 22 Huh??

Oh, check out that walnut in the grip, it's really pretty.

Follow us on TWITTER

tefer2
Super Bee

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 06:43:14 AM »

Looks good John, I like it.  Jerry Now you just need to stock up on some 22 shells.
I've been looking for some bird shot in 22 cal for a few months.
Don't know if they make it anymore?
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 12:51:43 PM »

I forgot to mention, I went through GunBroker look two different options for 22 Long rifle, came up with 5250 rounds that's 10 boxes of 525 rounds of federal champion for $480. Doing the math it comes out about eight cents per round not counting the $62 to ship pay 45 pound box of ammo from Texas to New Jersey.

So we got lots of ammo I'll be able to shoot 200 rounds at the range of 22 and then break out the Glock and shoot 50 rounds of 9 mm and feel quite satisfied by time I leave.

Both the local gun shops are selling their cheapest of 22lr ammo at literally $.20 a round. That's silly crazy for 22 Long rifle. At the range I belong to the 50 rounds for $10 price is a members price nonmembers will pay $15 for 50 rounds of 22. So buying it through GunBroker is going to save me a fortune over gunshop price.

So I'm sitting on about 650 rounds of 9 mm and Monday is the delivery date for the 5250 rounds of 22, I think that should hold us down for a while. I know though within a month or two tops I will be reordering the 9 mm. I'm shooting the 147 grain American eagle. It's actually quite nice ammo feeds really well and I have a box of roughly 20 remaining of hornady critical defense ammo which fed through My Glock really nice after about 100 rounds or so of the 147 grain American Eagle. So the critical defense is 115 grain, maybe 127 grain.

Mind you, we just got the ruger revolver on Thursday so we have not made it to the range yet.  That 12 pound double action pull and even the hammer pull itself is bit strenuous, I hear it does break in some without needing to do a trigger job or hammer job - but it is ideal for range shooting because of the 4.2 inch barrel and because the smaller Ruger that we looked at, the snubnose LCR which would just be all over the place with a 10 to 12 panel pull, makes this SP 101 a definite preferred revolver for paper shooting. It is a mighty fine gun really pretty too.

So I am out of handgun permits, and in New Jersey you start the whole process over, so it would likely take another four months or so to get more permits for more handguns, but I really don't have any interest.  I like what we have they willI serve our purpose well and I enjoy shooting the Glock especially, we'll see within a few days how much we like the Ruger at the range. Most importantly though we have home protection now, that was my entire purpose to begin with and still is the most important aspect of these purchases.

Follow us on TWITTER

JPBEEGETTER
House Bee

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 02:18:01 PM »

John, do you have cch , here in NC if you have concealed carry permit that is your gun permit . you can buy as many as you can afford.
just have to worry about ammo. I buy as much as I can carry ,with the lead going south. I also have a bunch of lead wheel weights, diving weights, etc.  that I can melt down if the times get hard.  Good luck with the glock and the 22.   JP.
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 11:30:19 PM »

Nope on all, really.

NJ is too liberal of a state to allow people who went through 5 months of investigation to actually actually even have a handgun carry permit. The only people allowed to carry are police, qualified ex-police, active personal security agents, people with a high death threat level and literally no one else. Yes, even most ex-police are turned down, they need to show  a threat cause (such as they testified in a high profile case, etc.) to get a carry permit - it is foolish.

The way it works here, you submit (in my case - again a NJ thing) 12 sheets of papers from personal references, to medical and mental illness disclosure forms, to multi-town police reports if you live in more than one place in the last 10 years. Even employers are contacted to prove employment (love to know what a persons state of employment has to do with his 2nd amendment rights) then a separate (private non-government company) has to take your finger prints, even if you have had them taken many times before, as I have as a Federal Employee for example.

Then wait about 5 months and you get: up to 3 handgun permits and your Firearm ID card (called here at least "the Yellow Card") with a firearms ID you can buy unlimited numbers of long-guns WITHOUT (I'm shocked) without them having to be registered. So if I wanted to max out a credit card, I could walk out with ever rifle and shotgun in a well stocked gunshop without anyone blinking an eye and NO paperwork.

But handguns are very different. Again, you can only get three at a time and you can only buy one handgun every 30 days. The permits are good for 90 days only, but with some exceptions can be extended another 90 days. Handguns are registered, called into the NIC system which charges a $15 fee for registering your handgun - I assume NEW JERSEY STATE POLICE
FIREARMS INVESTIGATION UNIT is directly connected to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System who approves and registers the handgun.

So, the simple way to put it, in NJ you are allowed to lock your handguns unloaded in your trunk away from ammo and proceed the quickest route possible to a range or shooting competition (these are almost the exact words) and then return home the exact way. Excuses like stopping for gas are inexcusable by state law if you are pulled over in a gas station and found to have handguns securely packed away in your trunk - the courts (which uphold the vaguely written laws) find that you should have gotten gas PRIOR to loading weapons into your vehicle.

So, we get to shoot at paper, unless you want to join the rich people range at over a grand a year which still charges range fees and makes you buy all your ammo that you shoot there. I'm happy paying $225 to go as often as I want to a 10 stall range 15 minutes away, with ammo I choose to buy - only exception, they don't allow steel casings.

I spent a lot of my youth in NC, remember shooting at stuff with a 22 rifle and occasionally a revolver. I was young and never thought how individual state laws play into weapons and shooting. So foolishly I only put in for 2 handgun permits and I have the two above, I really love my Glock a lot and we still hope to get to the range tomorrow, my wife has off from work and I don't go in until 2pm - range opens at 10am.

If I had put in for 3 permits, I might have picked up a 22 semi to burn some of this ammo I bought. I could have even gotten the Sig Mosquito for around $300 which looks and weighs nearly as much as their whole P226/P228 line. I read that Sig recommends shooting CCS Mini Mags (kinda like saying your new care only runs on premium) but I hear they run well on the Federal Champion as well.

Finally, to get my next batch of handgun permits, I submit 8 of the 12 papers again and (I swear) return to the bottom of the pile and wait another 5 months. You have to love bureaucracy - I can't imagine the manhours it takes to process a firearms license, although I don't doubt that 90% of that time my papers sat in a folder, waiting to be moved to another folder in the same office.

Oh, ammo is the least of the worries. I enjoy Gunbroker, they always have someone selling what I want and I get to bid in an auction unless I like the BUY NOW price (if they have one) then I'll grab it up. Not sure if I mentioned above my range sells 50 rounds of .22 for $10 to members and $15 to non members - better put 20c and 30c a round. I went all out and got a boat load of 5250 rounds at around .08c - the sticker shock set in with $62 to ground ship the 45 pounds of .22 from Texas to here, add that into the cost, I'm still well under $10 for a box of a hundred, half what the range is gauging MEMBERS.

Follow us on TWITTER

Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 10:16:08 AM »

Well 31 days has passed and then some, so I finally ordered a revolver. The one I finally chose was the Ruger SP 101 22 LR. A sharp looking 22 Long rifle that holds 8 Rounds, has a 4 inch plus barrel and is ideal for for plinking at the range and not having to shoot as much 9 mm with the Glock as I currently do.

This gives my wife and me both a chance to have equal time at putting holes in paper. It's not exactly the bowling we used to enjoy, but it's more fitting to our lifestyle today. Pretty sweet looking 22 Huh??

Oh, check out that walnut in the grip, it's really pretty.

New Glock commercial sure to infuriate liberals everywhere

http://www.caintv.com/video-new-glock-commercial-sur

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 Smiley

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 03:14:54 PM by Jim 134 » Logged

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 04:11:26 PM »

very nice.  has your wife had a chance to try the .22? 

Alexis de Tocqueville
Geoff
Field Bee

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 04:41:14 PM »

Liked the commercial Jim, its doing the rounds on Facebook this way at the moment.

Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 05:05:32 PM »

Hi Kathy and everyone:

My wife  mostly, and me some got to shoot almost 300 rounds through her 22 Thursday, and she absolutely loves it. Not to mention that she's a sure shot with that thing, I have an Oakley Annie on my hands.

We had an awesome time she shot two magazines from the Glock 19 (note, that she loaded the magazines with the UpLula and charged the pistol with the charging ring I got for her) she says that the recoil spring is finally starting to loosen on the Glock - but I think her confidence level has grown exponentially.

She now keeps her 22 loaded and right at her computer stand with easy access because she's not that far from the front door, only six steps up on to the landing, so she can easily get her hands on it if ever needed. 

She likes to shoot, I'm really glad about that I think my slow introduction of all the YouTube videos and other content has taken the scare out of handguns, and filling that void with respect for what they can do. The ideal combination surely.

I can't believe how good she really is with the SP101-22lr not having to deal with any felt recoil, she concentrates very well on the sites with a 4 inch barrel and I believe a roughly 7 inch site radius, her shooting in single action just let's her place the bullets right through the paper exactly where she wants them. I mean to say at seven and 10 yards she's nailing 80 to 90% in to DVD sized circles. I think she found something she really enjoys doing that works well with her health issues now. Thank God for that.

After we got home from the range that day, she sat down and asked me to hand her the Ruger case and she reloaded the pistol and put it back under her table. I asked her if she would reload the Glock for me and sure enough did that too, she got all 15 rounds into those magazines really nice. It's nice to have a wife who's utilitarian in the world of firearms - never thought I'd have that.

By the way, to do a review on the federal champion 22 Long rifle ammo, out of roughly 300 rounds we had one round that did not fire, but ran it through a second time and it fired no problem so we have zero non-fires out of all the ammo we shot from the 5250 rounds we bought.

So the Ruger has a good 12 pound trigger pull in double action, that will wear out just about anyone eventually, I know I shot 16 rounds like that and went back to single action myself. My wife found out that ideally she'll pull back the hammer with her one thumb with the other on top and the switch giving each thumb a rest between firing.

Honestly Kathy, it is a wonderful Christmas present to me that we found a new hobby in range shooting. She looks forward to going, and I could not ask for anymore. I'm Very proud of her, I wasn't sure how involved I could get her beyond the basics of self protection, but she's gone beyond that and then some. Bravo to her!

I was going to upload a few target images from our Thursday shooting, but I'm on cellular data at work right now I think I'll wait to upload those images when I'm back on Wi-Fi. But thank you for asking and I'm glad I had good news to share.

Follow us on TWITTER

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 07:54:22 PM »

Honestly Kathy, it is a wonderful Christmas present to me that we found a new hobby in range shooting. She looks forward to going, and I could not ask for anymore. I'm Very proud of her, I wasn't sure how involved I could get her beyond the basics of self protection, but she's gone beyond that and then some. Bravo to her!

good for both of you.  most women i know are the same.  once they get over the fear part, they are pretty enthusiastic and good! 

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next