Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 29, 2014, 12:40:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  
Poll
Question: Choice of foundation...
Started and remain with Wax - 15 (21.1%)
Started and remain with Plastic - 12 (16.9%)
Started and remain foundation-less - 4 (5.6%)
Started elsewhere - Now use Wax - 10 (14.1%)
Started elsewhere - Now use Plastic - 20 (28.2%)
Started elsewhere - Now foundation-less - 10 (14.1%)
Total Voters: 70

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Foundation preference and path to using it!  (Read 1967 times)
Moots
Queen Bee

« on: November 01, 2013, 01:00:11 AM »

OK...guys and gals, not really looking for a debate of why we all do what we do concerning foundation.  That's been debated fairly well in other threads.  As a matter of fact, another current thread with some passionate opinions on the subject of foundation is what gave me the idea for this poll.  Thought it would be nice to know not only what was people's preference but to also know if that was always their preferred choice, or had a different path led them there.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
                                                                                                                   - Ronald Reagan
merince
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 09:54:49 AM »

I started with foundationless. Tried wax and plastic - plastic was a total bust. Now I use both wax and foundationless.

RHBee
Queen Bee

That's my pooch.

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 10:26:25 AM »

Tried plastic, went to wax, going to a combination of foundation and foundationless.

Later,
Ray
MsCarol
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 10:37:05 AM »

Tried plastic, went to wax, going to a combination of foundation and foundationless.

What he said!!  grin

Simply bumbling around to find what works for me.

IF I wanted plastic, my over the ridge neighbor has a stack of it in his barn.
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 11:05:32 AM »

First experience with bees was with a large (at the time 1000 hives was large) in the mid 70's and they were a mixed bag.  I believe The Deeps (broodnests) were mostly foundationless and the honey supers were all shallows with wax foundation, but it was along time ago  Undecided.  Over the years of 'playing with bees' off and on (until becoming a serious bee 'keeper') I used wax because that's what everybody else did, a BIG bandwagon.  The basic start up kit comes with one or two deeps, a medium, a shallow, inner and outer covers, along with 'wax foundation' to place inside the frames.  The only directions offered to beginners was/is for proper placement, not necessarily other options, unless it meant an upgrade of some sort of an even 'better' foundation or .........plastic.  Frankly I don;t understand the logic for using plastic and remain unconvinced that they work very well or that the bees wouldn't rather not have them in their homes.  Sorry.............to drone on..................  

We can;t help our desire to do something, find something...better.  Part of the human condition and not a bad thing, usually  grin.

Beeks began experimenting with their own homemade foundations well over 100 years ago as far as I can tell, making it a relatively new addition to beekeeping, not any older than the Lang hives most of use I suspect, but they really didn't take off until someone figured out how to manufacture embossed foundation on an industrial scale.  I guess it was that, the whole industrialization of the process is what turned me off and sent me toward a foundationless system.  That and not knowing where any of the wax came from.  IMO; My bees (only mine now  Wink have never been happier.

Sorry to stray.........................it is my way...................These are just my own observations  embarassed  Take what you want, leave what you don't.

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."
Vance G
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 11:24:40 AM »

Started with wax and wiring because at the time it was cheapest.  Went to duragilt because it was fast and worked well if you know how to get foundation drawn.  Had pierce plastic when it was fairly new.  They all work. 
sawdstmakr
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 12:14:16 PM »

I started with wax, because most writings said it was the best. I was forced to use plastic because that was all my local supplier had when I went to buy it and he used it. Now all I use is medium plasticel.
Jim

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain
edward
Queen Bee

FEED ME HONEY or I`ll smash your screen !

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 01:53:51 PM »

I use wooden double Deep frames with wax in the brood nest

Then a Queen excluder

Shallows with all plastic frames in the honey supers.

I love extracting plastic frames and really hate extracting wax frames, HATE them.

I can spin the plastic frames fast and hard without them breaking or falling apart.

Also I can use my uncapping wax to prime my plastic frames so I know where the wax has been  Wink

mvh Edward  tongue
OldMech
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 11:02:24 PM »

More or less the same.. I bought three hundred or so of the 4.9 mm all plastic frames and when I need to start a new hive, nuc or super i drop them in between the foundationless. two in a nuc three in a ten frame box. Normally the bees go for the foundationless first so it allows me to remove the plastic once they get a few frames well underway and drop in more foundtionless..  Once in a blue moon they will draw the plastic. When they do that I leave it in there. SO I cant really say I am totally foundationless. I also have five hives that are not regressed that have ritecell in them. slowly weeding it out.. 

39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.
10framer
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 11:23:41 PM »

similar experience to tbeek. started in a commercial operation in the late 70's we used wax then tried duragilt and found that if the comb was damaged the bees wouldn't rebuild then went back to wax.  i mostly use wax now but have done a little foundationless.  i'd like to eventually get all my deeps foundationless and use wired foundation in my mediums.
gov1623
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 12:01:52 AM »

I have all types in my hives. Wax, plastic, foundationless, and they all work about the same for me.  I been using mostly foundationless, not because the bees like it better, but rather because it is the easiest for me.

Who Dat!!!
GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 05:12:39 AM »

Never having done this before I have to ask a question,

If you have plastic foundation can you harvest the comb? I like comb in my honey but it seems like it would be tricky to do so.

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
edward
Queen Bee

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 06:10:19 AM »

If you have plastic foundation can you harvest the comb? I like comb in my honey but it seems like it would be tricky to do so.

It wont bee beautiful, but all you do is scrape it of the frame.

mvh Edward  tongue
rwlaw
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 11:05:59 AM »

If it were just me, I'd go regress foundationless. But people like to see full frames of comb in their nucs. So I stay w/ plasticell.

Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 09:40:43 PM »

started with wax foundation.  went to foundationless.  path:  cheap and lazy.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
10framer
Super Bee

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2013, 10:19:42 PM »

Never having done this before I have to ask a question,

gary get some thin surplus foundation for comb honey or no foundation.  you can do like edward said but he's right, it won't be pretty.
edward
Queen Bee

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 04:45:16 AM »

If you are going to eat it or feed it to others that are going to eat the wax i would never use wax that i didn't have 100% knowledge of that it is free from chemicals.

Go with foundationless and let the bees draw new fresh wax that hasn't been used for larvae either.

mvh Edward  tongue
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 05:28:28 AM »

Is there any wax free from chemicals?  Including comb drawn naturally by bees?  I 'think' not.  

Is wax (comb) made naturally (bee drawn comb) better or less contaminated than what can be purchased?  I'd have to say yes....but only to a point and depending on what and where nectar was foraged, how old the comb is, which is why combs s/b removed/replaced every 5 years or so.  Candle making time?

Fresh 'cut comb' is likely the safest.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 06:52:42 AM by T Beek » Logged

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."
10framer
Super Bee

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 07:19:11 AM »

yeah, with all the soybean and cotton farming going on down here i doubt that naturally drawn comb is much cleaner than foundation. 
Brother Dave
House Bee

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 09:24:13 PM »

I started with foundation-less frames then tried some plastic foundation a more exp beek recommended to me. I got straighter combs with my foundation-less methods so I am culling out the plastic foundation.

My first reason for not using foundation is because I appreciate the cost savings.     

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next