Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 17, 2014, 03:06:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beginner  (Read 300 times)
willwaibel
New Bee

« on: October 27, 2013, 06:36:52 PM »

Hi.
I am a high school student from Bel Air, Maryland. I am totally new to beekeeping, but it seems interesting to me.
I work at a local Cub Scout camp and am considering some type of beekeeping setup near the Nature Lodge (of which I am the director).
I am 99% clueless on beekeeping, so if someone could kind of lay it out for me or direct me to a good thread, I would be most appreciative.
I am slightly concerned about safety; is there a docile variety of bee or methods to prevent passers-by from being stung?
I think it would be really cool to make some sort of bee-friendly garden near the hive so that the bees could be observed doing there thing.
Around the nature lodge, there are tons of plants I suspect would be good for bees including tons of tulip poplars and a small field of milkweed.
Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
merince
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 07:53:45 PM »

This is the perfect time to start learning. There is a lot to learn and a thread will barely scratch the surface. I suggest that you locate a beekeeping club close to you and sign up for their beginner class. Those classes should be starting right about now.

I think it is a great idea to set up some hives for people to observe. I have seen such a setup at the Greene County Beekeepers Association. Here is their website: http://www.gcbeekeepers.com/Pages/default.aspx.

Their hives are set up in an enclose that is at least 6 ft. high which forces the bees to fly overhead and keeps people away from their traffic patterns. In the spring they do demos for the general public.

GSF
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 08:57:56 PM »

will;

What merince said. plus;

I started on this forum with the most recent thread and begin reading backwards. I am around Jan 2013. There's a lot you can learn when you do that. Nothing beats hands on and observation.

Michael Bush has some great stuff. When you run across his post on these threads look for his website, I think he has two. Something like www.bushfarms.com & www.thepracticalbeekeeper.com those are probably wrong. Also www.scientificbeekeeping.com is another pretty decent one. Hopefully some of the other gang will make some more suggestions.

btw - welcome!

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
rwlaw
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 09:16:42 PM »

What your thinking about doing are commendable, if you find a mentor & your in.
There more gentle breeds of bees but you have to remember that all bees can be unpredictable especially at certain times of the year.
About the only other thing I can add is getting into the legal end of things. Getting permission to have the hive on the property, what happens if somebody gets stung and has a reaction, do you need insurance blah blah. Good luck

Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!
millipede
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 09:50:38 PM »

Funny thing is we have feral bees on our scout ranch. I guess they don't count for insurance reasons.
Bees do tend to get testy when it gets hot and dry and if someone is in the hive people should be kept 50ft or more away unless they are suited up. While severe reactions to bee stings are rare, they are out there are can be deadly. At the very least after you clear it with the scout ranch and council, keep and epi pen or two very close by and replace them annually.

10framer
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 10:11:25 PM »

welcome to the cult.  you have to be a little crazy to love having thousands of stinging insect around.
there is not going to be one thread that can teach you everything.  way back when i started by reading "the hive and the honeybee" and i was lucky enough to have a commercial beekeeper who happened to be the state apiarist living a few miles from me.  talk to the extension service and they should know a good beekeeper in your area.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next