Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 29, 2014, 06:31:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Today I got my firearms ID and two pistol permits  (Read 1547 times)
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« on: October 22, 2013, 04:32:00 PM »

Well in just under five months actual days, I received a letter from my local PD today saying that I have been approved for a firearms ID and that I should go to our local Police Department and complete the process.

I went there got my index finger fingerprinted on the firearm ID card and two pistol permits which I thought would come later.

So now this test fire everything that I have any interest in see what really fits me best, and I have 90 days to purchase the two handguns. There is an extension of an additional 90 days, but I don't expected to be that long before I have a 9 mm and a 22.

If you were to ask me today what I would buy, likely the Glock 19 and the Sig Sauer mosquito 22. But I have to get my hands on them try them , shoot them, shoot them some more, try some other things and shoot those too. Gonna be an interesting few months and thank you all so for for hanging in there with me and giving me your ideas and input it's all been very helpful thank you.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Geoff
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 05:33:22 PM »

John may I suggest a short course in dropping swarms of bees out of pine trees with Bud and Scott !!  That would be fun.

Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 05:59:23 PM »

Glad to hear it finally went through. Smiley
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 07:01:22 PM »

Geoff that is something I truly look forward to this coming spring, as is minus Tracey's health issues which I hope are at least stable that I'll be down to Bud's this year. It's just been way too long – I can't wait to see the Unkee Bud again and everyone else.

I hope all the job-related stuff is finally to rest, government shutdowns and furloughs and sequestration's and all that stuff I hope is behind us, this past spring plus the likeliness at the time of surgery and the new issues with Tracey's lungs always just too much to handle at one time I just couldn't see myself leaving it wasn't it wasn't to be.

Luckily, I do have the next two days off from work and I have a new Gunshop only 2 miles from my home and a very nice one about 8 miles away,  so I should be able to finally handle different handguns and also rent at least two - probably stick with the same ammo sense I'm sure i'll have to buy their ammo to shoot their rented guns. The first thing though that all likely do, is buy ammo through GunBroker.

I'm always watching auctions to see what is a good price on wide and although everything is expensive keeping 9 mm 124 grain full metal jacket and or jacketed hollow point around $0.30 a round is a pretty good price not counting shipping. Yes I know that's a horrible price, but we can blame this one on the Obama administration in the scare that doesn't seem to end. Of course I will be looking for local prices I do want to really good boxes 50 jacketed hollow point probably 124 grain something for home protection and then anything else the cheapest thing that shoots really well it does pretty good when you're shooting a paper targets and for what it's worth paper targets are pretty much the only thing that you can shoot at in New Jersey.

So I'll be posting to this one for a while instead of the original post which went nine or 10 pages which was incredible. I hope as I move along in my progression here we all get to learn a little something, I'm sure I'll be the one learning more than anyone else, but first thing is Gunshop etiquette - can't wait to put all my lessons learned to work there. First thing I know to say is although I've handled guns, I've never handled guns in a gun shop before, that should likely get us off on the right foot and will work from there.

Follow us on TWITTER

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 07:39:39 PM »

i am curious as to why you'd want the .22?  they are fun to plink with.....

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 07:40:25 PM »

congrats BTW.  i was wondering if you'd ever really get it!   evil

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 09:02:51 PM »

That's what is for, plinking. The Mosquito had some issues which Sig has resolved, not to forget that rim fire is not a overly reliable round.

But I still think I may get the Sig p226 or more so the m11a1 (the refined 226 with short reset trigger but Sig heavy at 32oz. Empty.  The Mosquito is laid out very similar with the m11-a1 so it's a good gun to build muscle memory with and affordable to shoot a few hundred rounds, then 3 or 4 mags of 9mm when warmed up.

Cost is an issue and would love two 9mm to start, but I also want a handgun that Tracey will shoot and I think a 22 will be a bit easier to get her going with.

She's maybe not excited but compliant and knows the world we live in and the few incidences recently that's put a scare in her opened her eyes that we need to have an upper edge on the unknown threats that are out there.

So a 22 and 9 seem how I wish to start out. I will be applying for three more handgun permits (most allowed) soon, now that I have my ID card.

The wait time is the same as I just went through cause you application goes to the bottom of the pile. By then, we'll see what is needed in my ever slow growing collection.

Follow us on TWITTER

iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 10:24:33 PM »

Congrats on getting it. Sincerely hope plinking is all you ever need to do. Hopefully, it will be like an insurance policy. Never wanting to use it, but glad to have it when needed.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 12:10:32 AM »

Exactly Iddee. The last thing I ever hope for is a confrontation with anyone in my home, but should that happen I want to be ready and act appropriately to the situation. I don't scare easy, weird but I have always be able to step outside myself (metaphorically so) and deal with extremely stressful situations. I hope if ever a life or death situation arises that I evaluate it in the split second that it could go down and react exactly as need to quash the matter.

Otherwise, bring on them paper targets Smiley I'll join the herd of others lining up to toss a hundred bucks of range fees and ammo toward that scary piece of paper. I hope someday to travel where I can shoot at something a bit more fun. There are Shooting Clubs around, but they are upscale (albeit outdoors and real timed target challenges) but I'd need a second job practically to play in their reindeer games.

So, first things first, take all the reading, viewing, research, forum participation and narrow the handguns - which I believe I'm realistically down to about 10 that interest me and only a few that I have strong interest in either including or excluding from my short list. Literally, if you get too picky, you can spend more trying guns here than buying guns and a few bricks of ammo - but I want no doubt in my mind when I sign the handgun permits and purchase. I don't see myself as trading guns like baseball cards, my choices started 5+ months ago when I submitted the application and I have been very ravenous at learning, so I've already got a head of steam built up to use the 90 days I have and get what I feel is right for our needs, but as importantly protection I'm comfortable grabbing and handling and have faith it will go bang when needed.

Thanks again.

Follow us on TWITTER

Joe D
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 12:20:15 AM »

Glad to hear that you got it. Personally I would go with the hollow points and not the full metal jackets.  The 22's are great for plinking, or even small game.  Glad we have different gun laws here.  We have to have a conceal permit, but just a background check to purchase.  If it isn't concealed you don't need a permit.  And there is no limit on the amount of pistols or long guns you can have.  Good luck in your search.  If you weren't so far off, you could shoot here for free.  I got 82 acres with hills and hollows.  I have a couple of spots I shoot my 300 mag.

Joe
JPinMO
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 07:33:11 PM »

th_thumbsupup

Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either. – Albert Einstein
GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 08:13:37 PM »

okay, okay, I'm a redneck and I can't help it.

In the back of the pasture, at different distances up to 150 yards, I have metal boilers, frying pans, drums, and anything that'll make a noise when hit with a .22 rifle. Everybody laughs when I tell them about it. But the first time they hear a PING! when they hit something they light up! I go from being a clown to being a genius.

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 01:17:50 AM »

GSF, you gotta check out hickok45 on youtube, see his range, he keeps an 18" gong at 80 yard and a 8 inch red steel plate at 70 yards and can nail it with a 22lr pistol 90% of the time. But he fires everything, he has I'd say near 80 targets from steel sheep, pigs, cowboys, trees anything, but the most fun he gets is shooting 2 liter bottles of soda, especially 9mm and up - they either spin and fall in a whirl and spray that is very cool to watch or they just disappear in a cola mist - lol.

YESTERDAY NOW (Wednesday that is) I went to my local gunshop, handed him my ID and drivers license and he handed me a bunch of handguns - yeehaa!! bout time I say!

Sad he didn't have a Glock 19, something I want to get my hands on, but I got to handle the Glock 17 Gen 4, and without any of the 4 backstraps (just the stock grip) it felt like it was custom fit. I have small hands and any backstrap made the grip to large, where 1) it felt like the gun could turn in my hand - swivel a bit and 2) it put my trigger finger short of the trigger guard - which I know to keep my finger straight and above the trigger area, but I didn't like I couldn't reach the guard barely with my finger tip.

I'm sure the ladies of the forum can understand more than you big handed manly men - lol. But out of the case, put in my hand that G17 grip was natural and I liked it.

SO HERE COMES THE QUESTION OF THE DAY FRIENDS

In NJ we have a 15 round limit to mag capacity, I was surprised he even had the G17 cause of the 17 round capacity. But he modified the three mags PERMANENTLY with resin and other stuff to limit them to 15 and includes a letter stating such. Now I'm not thinking of buying this gun, although I really liked a full size gun and that I found interesting.

I then got to load a few snap caps and found the chink in the armor - the mag spring was not modified, plus it is new and even loading a few rounds was challenging. Mind you he had no problem, I did and I'll chalk that up partially to inexperience. But I'm not too keen on the idea of a spring made for 17 round squeezed to load 15, three mags of those.

BTW, I ordered an Uplula speed loader, something I have admired for many many months, I caught it on Amazon for $22 for the 9mm and up one. The 22mm Uplula seems like something I will have to evaluate if the need arises.

Either way, I know (again hypothetically speaking) that using the Uplula I could easily pack the mags, but in this case how hard are the cartridges slamming into the slide, ramp and chamber? Just educationally I am asking, part of my Reading Rainbow of handgun knowledge.

SO TO CONTINUE

I expect to later today go to the really nice gunshop/shooting range and get my hands on the G19 to see how the feel is, do all the things you do when handling it and I would seriously bet they have one (maybe not a Gen 4) in the case to rent - their fees are $15 rental, plus $20 range fees and of course I'll need to buy their ammo - I'm sure that's another $50. Not a cheap day and I expect after looking around to test drive at least another handgun.

Oh, I also handled a S&W M&P sub compact today, I did NOT like the length of the grip what so ever. If I were looking for a CCW that would be a different story, but I'm looking for a home defense gun that has a good feel and ergonomic for me.

BEING A LEFTY

Chalked off a Ruger right away, It was full ambidextrous BUT all that stuff just got in the way - when I went to operate the slide catch, my thumb kicked the safety to the on position and I could not avoid it every time - again small hands and short fingers can't reach around stuff as well as bigger hands. This I'm learning very quickly. So I go back to the belief that the best safety is between your ears and it's handling the gun, not having all the bells and whistles that can get in the way.

I even got to handle the Sig P2022 and sadly (although it is different from the P228/M11-A1) it did have a decocker and a long slide catch which I found both ugly and annoying. Shame they didn't have some other Sig there, but I'll rectify that tomorrow - when I visted the larger gunshop they had an incredible selection, that is where I saw the Sig P238 (380) and P938 9mm and realized how small they really are. BEAUTIFUL and worthy of the Sig name, but tiny. For folks with a love for pretty guns and a need or want to CC very small guns, all you need is a pocketful of cash and either are yours.

SO OFF TO BED

and more tales to tell tomorrow, hopefully much more exciting ones.

DON'T FORGET

to comment on the G17 with the blocked mags to me my state requirements and how you think the spring may be affected. Thanks.

Follow us on TWITTER

RHBee
Queen Bee

That's my pooch.

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 09:28:49 AM »

John may I suggest a short course in dropping swarms of bees out of pine trees with Bud and Scott !!  That would be fun.

I use my AK-47 for that. grin

congrats BTW.  i was wondering if you'd ever really get it!   evil

What she said. Congrats, You had to jump through some serious hoops but, you made it.

Congrats on getting it. Sincerely hope plinking is all you ever need to do. Hopefully, it will be like an insurance policy. Never wanting to use it, but glad to have it when needed.

Amen, It is always better to have and never need than to need and not have.

Please consider this..IMHO, If I were facing an intruder or intruders in my house I would want my 870 Mariner in my hand and my Colt Commander on my hip. Never let them get that close if it can be avoided.
Do you already have a good alarm system?

Be safe, God Bless.

Later,
Ray
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 10:21:52 AM »

or a good dog. 

Alexis de Tocqueville
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 05:55:10 PM »

To save some typing, I'll post what I just posted in the Glock forum. But just to say it to you guys, today I became a Glock owner after spending 50 rounds of firing The actual Gen 4 Glock 19 at The gun range I talked about yesterday. The price was good, and I do like that Gunshop beside being well-stocked and well-managed It,s just overall the nicest place I have around here too both shoot and find a supplies locally.

Repost from Glock Pro Forum

Hello fellow Glock people, today I went to the range and got to fire the Glock 19 Gen 4, shot 50 rounds at 7, 10 and 15 yards, and I'll even post one of my target pictures (one on quite proud of) all came out quite well actually.

But the good news is after testing one and truly enjoying firing that box of ammo, I couldn't help but use one of my two pistol permits and walked out of that store with the Glock 19 Gen four in my hand and it sits here before me now just waiting for the wife to come home to start going over basic gun safety with her after dinner.

I don't have many posts here in the forum, so just to recap quickly I'm in New Jersey and it took me five months 22 days to get my firearms ID and pistol permits, and after looking at the Glock 17 yesterday and getting to fire the 19 today I could not believe how comfortable the 19 is how ergonomic and simplistic it operates, this is everything I've watched on YouTube, red in this and other forums, and had similar practice with with other Glock's previous times in my life elsewhere.

I bought a box of 25 or the Hornaday 115gr. critical defense for home protection which sits in my dresser drawer away from my new gun and my Tipton snap caps, the two shall not be in the same room until both of us are comfortable and ready to put it into action which for me won't be long and from my wife, she'll know where it's at and she'll know the trigger pull and nowhere to keep her finger and everything else that were need to work on as new gun owners.

I have to thank everyone of you for the post I've read and for the links that you shared two videos that have been helpful. I already feel safer in a time when being safe is more prevalent than ever before and I have a Glock and see how well it's made, and how good it feels, I know I have made the right decision. Thank you all again.

Below will be the second magazine I shot I loaded this by hand with 13 rounds and this was at 10 yards, I swear – LOL. I have shot well before and like bike riding it came back quite quickly.

I think out of the 50 rounds I fired only three rounds each still on the paper but about 10 inches or so from the target center, still not bad. I think it was just getting a feel for that incredible trigger which right now I absolutely love. The slight take up to the point where you know you're at the point where your 5.5 lb. pull really starts is nice giving Time to get your finger on the trigger and set, it's comforting to know that it isn't something you just barely touch and it goes boom.

Here I am telling all of  you what you already know, but I guess I just needed to say this because I know my wife too will be very comfortable in knowing that the Glock has really worked out all issues a new gun own May have,  it's a piece of genius and both of us will surely get well trained for using it.

God for bid it ever needs to be used in a defensive way in our home. It surely is insurance against the unthinkable, but like insurance you never really want to have to use it but when you do it's there.

Now I feel like I am more a member here then just a day ago, I can speak now about my experiences not just my thoughts alone. Glad to be part of the brotherhood, it's an incredible group and I really appreciate being here, thank you all again.

Just as a final note, I am voice dictating this entire thing on an iPhone using Tapatalk. I'll have to go into this post to add the photograph or just make a new post maybe of my target shots today, because Tapatalk wants to do some software update saying that I might lose this post if I try now. So anyway if you see occasional weird word in any of my posts, it's just Siri trying to figure out my central New Jersey accent – nothing like those Joyzee people that you see on TV I promise.

BACK TO MY FELLOW BEEKEEPER PEOPLE

I'LL UPLOAD ALL FOUR TARGETS I SHOT AT I WROTE DOWN THE DISTANCE IN NUMBER OF ROUNDS THAT I SHOT IT EACH ON THE PAPER AS I PULLED THEM DOWN, WISH ME LUCK GUYS AS I STATED BEFORE I JUST HOPE I ONLY EVER HAVE TO SHOOT IT PAPER AND NOTHING ELSE UNLESS OF COURSE I ACTUALLY GET WHERE I CAN SHOOT AT STEEL PLATES AND DIRT MOUNDS AND 2 L BOTTLES OF SODA AND COOL STUFF LIKE THAT.

Follow us on TWITTER

beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 05:14:33 AM »

Well if you followed my other post, I have the Glock 19. Absolutely awesome, I shot the same model the Gen 4 at paper targets still haven't publish the photos here but  did Iincredibly well.

Got it home waiting for my wife to come home after I practice cycling it shooting it into snap caps which, I know a lot clock folks say you don't have to do but why not since I have them and I think it's just a good idea specially practicing cycling the slide. Then my wife comes home and surprisingly she sits there enjoys the show, takes up the gun, I assured her that the bullets were actually in the bedroom in a dresser drawer, which they were. And I showed her that snap caps were in the magazines I loaded it racket and let her feel the trigger she could feel the pull up on the trigger to where it stopped and then the solid 5.5 pound pull - she felt quite safe with that which was interesting to me I thought there could be a little more resistance but not at all, and then she tried to rack the slide.

My wife has hand strength issues forever she's always had hands that just couldn't grip something, and let's face it the Glocks serrations are not the easiest thing to grip – but she grabbed the slide "anyway she could" and could not rack it it was just too much drag on the recoil spring. So we spoke about having the gun in the loaded and ready to fire mode and again surprisingly she's quite comfortable with that after pulling the trigger quite a few times.

So the amount of take up and then the actual snap to pull the trigger she feels quite safe she will not have her finger anywhere near the inside of the trigger guard unless necessary, so loaded it is and my wife is secure with that and if she is, surely I am.

It's interesting the way things work out, I never thought we be in condition one with the wife but she does feel comfortable, I had her go through a few drills just something to challenge the two of us a little as we waited for dinner to finish cooking  - nothing too elaborate of course but we'll get to the nitty-gritty stuff this weekend. Practice pulling from the drawer going to our safe place and whatever else techniques we need to do too ready for most situations we could comprehend.

This is where the obvious comes in, my second handgun is going to Be a revolver. In New Jersey it's 30 days between handgun purchases, so it's time to shop now and this time of course she's going to go with me and we'll see exactly what works out best. I still would like the idea of having a 22 because of the cost factor of shooting a second gun, but if we end up with a larger caliber then so be it.

But no way my wife could not pull a revolver trigger, and that's what really counts. So to have two weapons in the house, in their safe place but still readily available, is the plan although the plan is evolving as we speak.

So you're caught up to where I am, it's 5 AM and I'm at work now doing a double. I won't be posting, I'll be sleeping from 4pm until probably I work again midnight tonight and sleep tomorrow again also so it's two days before I'll be posting again. Again thanks for reading and following guys.

Follow us on TWITTER

GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 05:35:59 AM »

It should become a part of your body - like your wallet. You don't have to look for or think when you grab your wallet.

Try things like this unloaded in the dark, find it in your car and take it off safe. Do the same while lying in bed. Get to know it real good.

Congrads!

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
1frozenhillbilly
House Bee

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 11:37:10 PM »

welcome to the brotherhood  and enjoy your new learning experience,  i think that the .22 revolver is an excelent choice for a second hand gun and hope you find one that works very well for you and the Mrs.  I join the others on here in wishing you enjoyable plinking and may you never have to use that insurance policy but i'm glad you now have it

vegetarian???  isnt green stuff for growing meat?
OldMech
House Bee

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 10:26:33 PM »

Nice!! Glad to hear it finally happened. Grats from me as well!!!!
   Dont know if you have a .22 yet.. One of my favorite .22's is a Ruger Mk III. I have had several, my favorite was a 10" Bull barrel with a holo sight.. It was more accurate than any .22 rifle I owned..  I amazed a lot of friends with it when we went squirrel hunting...  hitting a squirrel at 70- 90 yards with a pistol is something they still talk about.

Someone asked.. why a .22? They are good for plinking.....

Yes, and a lot more. They dont have the recoil of a heavier handgun, the ammo is cheaper.. (Well.. it used to be.. Thanks Obama  angry  ) and it still functions like a semi auto, allowing you to get used to all the functions. Shooting it is about the best practice you can get.. Many people quickly develop a flinch they dont even realize when shooting larger cal handguns, shooting the .22 it is SO MUCH easier to teach yourself correct form, correct stance, correct trigger control etc etc.. without the bigger bang..
   When teaching handgun classes, it was ALWAYS my recommendation to get a .22 first, or at the same time, and practice with it, a LOT, because the little .22 will perfect everything you will do with the larger gun, including accuracy.

Anyhow.. Glad you managed to deal with the red tape and get your defense gun!!!

39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next