Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 22, 2014, 07:36:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Honey by the gallon?  (Read 481 times)
dfizer
House Bee

« on: October 13, 2013, 06:56:37 PM »

Hello all -

I completed harvesting last weekend and the hives did a respectable job of producing honey.  I ended up with just over 17 gallons of honey.  My question is - does anyone sell honey in 5 gallon buckets?  If so how much would a 5 gallon bucket of honey be worth?

I am thinking about bottling it in pints and quart jars and charging accordingly.... however if I could find a purchaser for the entire 15 gallons or buyers for 5 gallons each that would be great. 

Please let me know what kind of price tag you'd put on each 5 gallon bucket full of honey!

David
RC
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 08:07:08 PM »

Around here (Florida) a 5 gallon bucket of gallberry or wildflower goes for $165. Tupelo is a little higher, $180, I think. I need to clarify that these are wholesale prices. I have a local barbecue joint that buys a bucket full from time to time. The use it in their rib sauce.
RHBee
Queen Bee

That's my pooch.

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 08:09:17 PM »

David, I'm not sure about the per gallon price but I do know that the rule of thumb is: As quantity goes up price per unit goes down.
I sold out my 20gal harvest in 3 weeks. People who like honey love unprocessed honey. I still have people asking for more.

Later,
Ray
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 05:17:16 AM »

There's an Amish Family an hour south of me that regularly sells (gives?) out their honey before the first snow fly...............$50.00 for a 5 gallon pale  shocked  Its already gone.

Likely its the reason they sell out every year.

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 07:54:46 AM »

I made just under 5000lbs this year and sell alot of pails.   I get 2.75 a lb in pails.   I also get that in jars plus 1.00 for the container.   A 3lb jar would be 2.75 X 3 + 1.00 = 9.25    In barrels I get about 2.15 lb
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next