Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey by the gallon?  (Read 591 times)

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
Honey by the gallon?
« on: October 13, 2013, 07:56:37 PM »
Hello all -

I completed harvesting last weekend and the hives did a respectable job of producing honey.  I ended up with just over 17 gallons of honey.  My question is - does anyone sell honey in 5 gallon buckets?  If so how much would a 5 gallon bucket of honey be worth?

I am thinking about bottling it in pints and quart jars and charging accordingly.... however if I could find a purchaser for the entire 15 gallons or buyers for 5 gallons each that would be great. 

Please let me know what kind of price tag you'd put on each 5 gallon bucket full of honey!

David

Offline RC

• House Bee
Re: Honey by the gallon?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 09:07:08 PM »
Around here (Florida) a 5 gallon bucket of gallberry or wildflower goes for $165. Tupelo is a little higher, $180, I think. I need to clarify that these are wholesale prices. I have a local barbecue joint that buys a bucket full from time to time. The use it in their rib sauce.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 09:09:17 PM »
David, I'm not sure about the per gallon price but I do know that the rule of thumb is: As quantity goes up price per unit goes down.
I sold out my 20gal harvest in 3 weeks. People who like honey love unprocessed honey. I still have people asking for more.
Later,
Ray

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 06:17:16 AM »
There's an Amish Family an hour south of me that regularly sells (gives?) out their honey before the first snow fly...............$50.00 for a 5 gallon pale  :shock:  Its already gone.

Likely its the reason they sell out every year.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 08:54:46 AM »
I made just under 5000lbs this year and sell alot of pails.   I get 2.75 a lb in pails.   I also get that in jars plus 1.00 for the container.   A 3lb jar would be 2.75 X 3 + 1.00 = 9.25    In barrels I get about 2.15 lb