Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 24, 2014, 06:01:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bye Bye Coal  (Read 2126 times)
Vance G
Queen Bee

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 08:59:22 PM »

A lot of wrestling with the pig going on here.  You are just getting dirty and the _______ is enjoying it.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 09:52:33 PM »

I’ll admit CFLs have some issues.  I recently installed a bunch of can lights in a kitchen and expected to feel like I was on the surface of the Sun when I flipped the switch.  Instead it felt like the dark side of the moon for a solid minute!  The delay in the BR30 and BR40 CFLs REALLY is excessive.  They’re almost unusable whereas most other CFLs aren't too bad IMO.  Once the BR30/40s warmed up, they really lit the place up.  I will also admit the switcher circuits that power the CFLs fail FAR sooner than advertised.  What did we expect when we shipped US manufacturing to China?  One of the night things I really like about the CFLs (and LEDs) is I can get lights more like daylight.  I like the 4000K to 6000K temps myself, whereas the old incandescents were always more yellow than I like.    

The solution to the CFL short comings (and the mercury) is LED.  LED gives more lumens per watt than even CFLs and come on instantly at full brightness.  The only real problems I’ve had with LEDs is they can be TOO bright and they are a little pricy due to all the IP patents.  

I bought some 6 watt LED landscape spot lights last week.  It just took ONE of them to light up the entire side of the house!  Makes the place look like the White House at night. grin  Pretty impressive.  
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 10:17:52 PM »

hmmm, as i recall, we used to make the incandescent light bulbs in the US..... 

kind of interesting.  we take tax money and throw it at failing businesses that produce products that no one wants, but we destroy businesses that give employment and tax revenue because the government doesn't like the business.

i know i made this point before but this looks more and more like 1930's Germany.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 09:54:42 AM »

>One of the night things I really like about the CFLs (and LEDs) is I can get lights more like daylight.

Which is why I bought CFLs a decade ago... but they didn't age so well...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
RC
House Bee

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »

If we get rid of coal, how will people charge up their Prius?
It always amazes me that, in the interest of being " green", folks will get rid of a gas powered car to buy a coal/nuclear powered car. And then support the elimination of coal and nuclear power.
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 10:48:44 PM »

Good point RC

Another irony:  There’s probably nobody more interested in green cars than Big Coal!  If masses of people do start trying to pull 20KW-hours per night to charge their car it will really throw off the electrical grid.  A lot more supply will be needed and we all know WHO will want to fill that demand…..dirty coal. 

There’s been plenty of studies done claiming gas cars are less polluting and plenty that claim electric cars are less polluting.  About the only thing you can be sure of is the pollution from electric cars will be incurred by the rural areas; since that is where the power plants are.  On the other hand, if you’re in a gasoline engine sitting still on I-75 (be it Michigan or Florida), you’re getting 0% efficiency from the fuel.  Hard to get much worse than 0%.
hjon71
Field Bee

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 04:53:13 AM »

I get my power via TVA hydro and the county I live in is set to install the largest solar farm in TN( 2plots nearly 200acres). I know TVA has some coal fired stations but I can't help but see that decline as solar and wind gain ground. Oh and I drive a Prius afro 'cause I'm cool like that.

Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next