Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 23, 2014, 08:50:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New hive  (Read 747 times)
trapperbob
House Bee

« on: September 19, 2013, 08:40:15 PM »

Just built this. It holds exactally three deeps and if I want I can super it

Joe D
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 09:29:59 PM »

Look good, I have been thinking about building a couple of twenty frame deeps this winter.

Joe.
Glen H
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 09:34:05 PM »

So I guess that is what one would call a long hive?
Does it use inner covers?

Glen

Located in Zone 5b
trapperbob
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 10:38:59 PM »

No inner covers just three migratory covers. I run three deeps or the equivalent here in Nebraska. And use migratory covers on them so figured I'd do the same with the long hive. I may put a piece of styrofoam insulation on top this winter but that's it.
OldMech
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 10:41:01 PM »

No outer cover??   Are they under something to keep the rain from dripping down between the migratory covers?

39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.
trapperbob
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 05:55:31 AM »

No in my experience they seem to seal the lids well enough that rain leaking though doesn't seem to be an issue. I know others that have them and that's never been an issue
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 06:24:14 AM »

Very COOL  cool  I completely enjoy our LONG Hives.  So easy to work.  Had one colony survive 3 winters (same queen) in a similar configuration only I used 30 medium frames and built an insulated cover for the whole works. 

Working bees on Long Hives taught me to become a better beekeeper.  I'll likely have at least one going as long as I keep bees.  They're great for keeping NUCs, mine can hold up to 3 small colonies/Queens.

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."
sawdstmakr
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 11:24:45 AM »

Looks nice. It would be easy to inspect the brood chamber. It would probably work real well here, down south, where you do not have to worry about the bees running out of food in one direction and having lots of food on the other half of the hive that they cannot get to. It would be awful hard to move that hive.
Jim

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain
MarinaDS
New Bee

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 02:28:48 PM »

For the supers, is your plan to create one long one, or break it up into three or so boxes for the first layer, above the brood chamber?
trapperbob
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 03:54:34 PM »

Late in the fall ill move the colony to the very back that way they work there way to in one direction. And I figured if I needed to super I would put it over the brood chamber. I mostly want to do this so inspections will be easier. I run a three deep configuration here in Nebraska and it has worked well but inspections tend to get a little hefty. If it works out well I might change everything to long hives and do medium supers.
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 06:42:21 AM »

Looks nice. It would be easy to inspect the brood chamber. It would probably work real well here, down south, where you do not have to worry about the bees running out of food in one direction and having lots of food on the other half of the hive that they cannot get to. It would be awful hard to move that hive.
Jim

With LONG HIVES, depending on entrances bees tend to place the majority of honey on one end, toward the back (opposite from entrance) in my own case with a few frames filled toward the front.  They actually drill holes through the comb to access other frames.  Broodnest tend to be closer to the entrance but somewhat centrally located.

laugh laugh  Yep moving them can be a pain.  I put handles on mine (wheel barrel handles that can easily be placed) and call a friend......... or two.

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 07:48:03 AM »

> Are they under something to keep the rain from dripping down between the migratory covers?

Propolis.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Carol
House Bee

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 10:40:25 AM »

I've tried twice with a topbar hive....big red ants got in both times and the bees fled. I was thinking of trying again next year if/when my hives get built up enough to split....but then I have the problem of cutting frames and comb to fit. The long hive would solve that problem. Just wait till Jim hears my next plan....
trapperbob
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 11:46:56 AM »

Unless something drastic happens I don't need to move it but just in case I put some cross bars made out of cedar across the bottom and made them long enough to stick out on each side. They serve two purposes that way. They raise it a little so the bottom doesn't sit flush and rot and they are pretty good handles. And like Michael said propolis I had a couple of smaller hives that love the stuff and ones queen was really at the end . She was not laying very well so both hives were relocated to the long hive. Both were wild caught and were great producers but tended to stay small when it counts the most but built up when it was time. They like there propolis though and it doesn't really bother me so I figured they be good candidates for this. I think I am going to try to make more hives off this one I like the way they operate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next