Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 20, 2014, 09:13:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from France  (Read 610 times)
mik
New Bee

« on: September 17, 2013, 03:19:49 AM »

Just finding my way around the forum and bee keeping in general

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
Nietzsche
Huangwjgk
New Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 05:44:23 AM »

Newbie report it. Enable Signature with it
tefer2
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 07:19:42 AM »

Mik, welcome to the forum.
Joe D
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 02:06:05 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Mik.  When you have any questions, just post them, someone will get you an answer.

Joe
GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 02:31:35 PM »

Welcome

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
mik
New Bee

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 02:44:42 AM »

Thanks for the welcome. I bought my first two hives in May and managed to capture two swarms some weeks later. Since my first post yesterday I have just harvested my first super. I am learning everything from a book but it got very messy with a book in one hand and and goo everywhere else!

My neighbours tell me I am too late to recover honey. It seems to be working ok. Could they mean it is a problem with the temperature being lower. It is about 19 deg C at moment or are there other issues?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
Nietzsche
sawdstmakr
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 11:51:22 AM »

Mik, welcome to the forum.
Jim

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain
sawdstmakr
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 11:54:43 AM »

Thanks for the welcome. I bought my first two hives in May and managed to capture two swarms some weeks later. Since my first post yesterday I have just harvested my first super. I am learning everything from a book but it got very messy with a book in one hand and and goo everywhere else!

My neighbours tell me I am too late to recover honey. It seems to be working OK. Could they mean it is a problem with the temperature being lower. It is about 19 deg C at moment or are there other issues?
+
Michael Bush says that he waits until the bees move down before he pulls his honey. So sounds like you picked the right time. Did you leave enough for them for the winter? The amount depends on how long and cold it gets in your area.

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain
mik
New Bee

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 07:00:55 AM »

Yes the main hives are full and very heavy. I was not expecting to get honey in the first year but have managed to fill one super on each hive.

My question was more to do with the temperature needed to extract the honey. Does it become more viscous as it gets colder and therefore more difficult to extract?

Nietzsche
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 09:06:52 AM »

>My question was more to do with the temperature needed to extract the honey. Does it become more viscous as it gets colder and therefore more difficult to extract?

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesterms.htm#t

"Thixotropic = A quality of a liquid where its viscosity gets thinner when shaken, stirred or agitated and thicker when left undisturbed so that it becomes a gel. In the case of honey some honey sources have this quality such as heather and manuka and these often require special ways of extracting."

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next