Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 23, 2014, 10:35:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brown Eggs price  (Read 1085 times)
GSF
Queen Bee

« on: September 13, 2013, 03:09:18 PM »

I would like to know what the average price for a dozen and/or 18 count of brown eggs/free range. Either from the neighbors, farmer's market, or the grocery store.

The last times I bought some from an individual at a yardsale type event they were $2 a dozen. I'm told that a lot of folks are selling them for $3-$4 a dozen and the grocery store is five or so. I don't know if they were referring to the organic eggs or what.

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 04:09:37 PM »

4 a dozen here is about average.  that's large, brown, farm raise.  not organic.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
itsme
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 12:12:06 PM »

Not exactly what you asked, but we get $8 a dozen for our organic, free range chicken eggs that are not 100% all large eggs.  They are all brown, which some people think makes them better.  The color of the shell really makes no difference in the quality of the edible part.
mikecva
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 01:45:40 PM »

I get a dozen a week and all the hugs I want from my daughter's children - free.

Really, she only sells to neighbors and friends for $2 a dozen for the large organic, free range chicken eggs and $3 for the extra large (store carton just closes). Her eggs are white, brown, a light shade of blue or green. As itsme said the color does not make a difference, it is the type of chicken (plus grocery store can charge more for the brown eggs.) - Mike

If you are raising chickens, bake the shells of the eggs you eat, crush them up and feed back to the chickens. (but the shells should be baked and crushed so the chickens do not start eating good eggs.

Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Modenacart
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 11:18:38 AM »

We pay $2 a dozen at the farmers market when we need more than our chickens lay.
Spear
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 02:27:14 PM »

Growing up in South Africa I only knew brown eggs. The white ones were the expensive eggs! I know it's not true but I always have the feeling that the white eggs shells are not as strong as the brown ones -maybe that's just because I grew up eating brown shelled eggs...
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 02:50:49 PM »

since this popped up again, i'll update my earlier answer.  we are selling our brown/white mix dozen for 3 dollars.  medium to large size mixed.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Modenacart
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 07:28:38 PM »

Weak eggshell are due to the bird not getting enough calcium.
JPinMO
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 07:39:04 PM »

The going rate for farm eggs around here is $2 (but I'm not sure if that's different for brown)

My Dad (who should know that there is no difference) swears that brown eggs taste better....

Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either. – Albert Einstein
pboin
New Bee

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 12:07:11 PM »

Not exactly what you asked, but we get $8 a dozen for our organic, free range chicken eggs that are not 100% all large eggs.  They are all brown, which some people think makes them better.  The color of the shell really makes no difference in the quality of the edible part.

Eight bucks!?!?!  May I ask what sort of setting you're selling in?  Is this a downtown, upscale market or something?  We're getting organic eggs reliably for two or three dollars...

Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 01:18:52 PM »

My dad just started selling is extras, and gets $3/doz for free-range medium to large brown eggs.  He couldn't believe they would sell for that (he was going to charge $1.25/doz) but I assured him they would.  I travel a lot and see a lot of signs for between $3-4/doz.   He's been selling as fast as he gets them.   We do have a lot of weekend NYC folks in our area.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next