Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 18, 2014, 02:58:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beekeeping In Haiti (Teaching In Third World Countries)  (Read 305 times)
Scott Derrick
Expert Bee Handler
New Bee

Go Gamecocks!!

« on: September 11, 2013, 06:00:32 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering is there is anyone in this forum has ever taught beekeeping in Haiti. I have an opportunity in the near future to travel to Haiti and teach some older children in an orphanage how to keep bees. The director of the orphanage wants to teach the older children life skills that will help them make a living in this extraordinarily poor third world country. I'm doing some preliminary study in preparation for going such as available flora and fauna, supply issues...

I've been reading information off the net was well as studying the area of Haiti I'll be traveling to. Understanding that sustainability is one of the main keys to success in the area, I'm looking for folks that have experiences beekeeping in Haiti or that have taught Haitians this valuable skill.

Any and all input from folks that have been part of the humanitarian efforts in third world countries would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

My Bee Removal Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/109455718186385256142
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rsderrick

"You're born. You suffer. You die. Fortunately, there's a loophole."
                                              Billy Graham
GSF
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 08:34:17 PM »

My compliments on the goodness in your heart. Not to sound snotty but this is the only way I know to put it. Don't go down there with the Western World attitude. Meaning something like this - don't tell them to feed with sugar water unless #1 they have water, #2 they have heat, #3 they can afford sugar. In the nicest way possible I'm saying - these folks ain't got, never had, and some never will, have any folding money. I couldn't imagine me going down there and teaching them how to raise anything let alone bees. I wish you the best of luck and skill.

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
MTWIBadger
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 10:51:47 PM »

Scott
I find you question about beekeeping in Haiti quite ironic since I have often thought about starting hives in Haiti. I volunteer at a hospital in southern Haiti for a week twice a year. Next trip in November. There are Haitian beekeepers in the south but the closest one that I know is 2 hours away. 

They cut all their trees down for charcoal so finding a bee tree is difficult. A bee tree would give me a way to get bees with a Hogan trapout. I think a top bar hive would make the most sense with limited wood supply and you could even make it out of cement so it can't be moved easily. Petty theft in Haiti is a way of life. 

One of the missionaries had a bee tree at one time so I know honey bees are around. I have not personally ever seen a honey bee in Haiti despite my looking. I am in a rural area with subsistence farming.
Keep me updated on your project and let me know where you are going in Haiti.   
JWChesnut
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 12:35:16 AM »

Bo Sterk teaches all over the Caribbean.
He has real world experience in local Haitian solutions.
Check out his page.

http://caribbeanbeekeeping.wordpress.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next