Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 23, 2014, 05:53:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen Cells Seen and then disappeared  (Read 326 times)
lisbethanne
New Bee

« on: September 10, 2013, 12:56:26 PM »

I am a new beekeeper and last Friday I found five uncapped queen cells in my hive. Three looked like swarm cells on the bottom of the frames and elongated and two looks like bubbles in the middle or side of the frames. All were pointing down and were larger than any drone cells I have ever seen. Yesterday I opened the hive and found only two still there. I was seeing if they had been capped yet but could not find the swarm type cells anywhere. The other two round bubble ones were still uncapped and uninhabited.  I am feeding syrup with a top feeder and my hive is totally thriving with two supers and two brood boxes. They do seem grumpy this summer compared to spring but I felt that it was because of their increase in numbers. I have seen my queen(Friday, not yesterday). What is going on with this hive? Should I split the hive? Is it too late? There is pollen coming in and brood in the boxes. HELP! This first year beekeeper is puzzled!!
Parksguyy
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 01:11:52 PM »

Hi there,
From my own limited experience (second year beek here), and lots that I have read ... it is normal for a hive to produce these cells.  Its as if they just want to be prepared if needed.  Chances of them actually using those cells (especially this time of year) are very slim.  Someone more local to your location, with experience can likely verify that.     
tefer2
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 01:48:28 PM »

Where are you? Please update your profile for your location. bee
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 03:17:03 PM »

They are not queen cells unless they have been laid in. It is common for bees to keep the empty anticipation cells (as I call them) and they will tear them down and build them back as desired. The looks are very different than that of a queen cell and usually are more rounded and open in the mouth area. The important thing to gather is no egg or larvae in the cell no queen cell. It don't necessarily even mean they intend on making a queen cell.

John 3:16
lisbethanne
New Bee

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 04:22:42 PM »

Thank you so much for these helpful answers. I feel much better about my hive not leaving me so late in the season.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next